Rift S

Looking into finally jumping into VR. Ruled out the PSVR since I want a more premium experience. Was set on the Rift S until Oculus Link was announced for the Oculus Quest. Not I’m not sure which one to get.

With the Rift S you get a more ergonomic design out of the box, very slightly higher refresh rate (80Hz vs 72Hz) and an extra camera for tracking.

With the Quest you get higher resolution OLED panels instead of LCD panels, manual IPD adjustment, the ability to play both standalone or tethered to the PC with Oculus Link.

I’m leaning towards the Quest right now. Especially since Carmack said that the panels are actually capable of 90Hz which makes me wonder if that’ll be a part of a firmware update after Oculus releases their official fiber optic Oculus Link cable.

Quest has better colors thanks to OLED but better resolution isn't true because with the Link it's a compressed video feed (+ pentile display - less subpixels than the Rift S's LCD). Doesn't make it bad at all but Rift S remains much better if you are after sharpness/lower SDE. Latency is lower too but Carmack said they might be able to change that at some point (since the Quest has better native latency with its OLED display).

RIft S is much lighter and more comfortable for most people too.

Looking into finally jumping into VR. Ruled out the PSVR since I want a more premium experience. Was set on the Rift S until Oculus Link was announced for the Oculus Quest. Not I’m not sure which one to get.

With the Rift S you get a more ergonomic design out of the box, very slightly higher refresh rate (80Hz vs 72Hz) and an extra camera for tracking.

With the Quest you get higher resolution OLED panels instead of LCD panels, manual IPD adjustment, the ability to play both standalone or tethered to the PC with Oculus Link.

I’m leaning towards the Quest right now. Especially since Carmack said that the panels are actually capable of 90Hz which makes me wonder if that’ll be a part of a firmware update after Oculus releases their official fiber optic Oculus Link cable.

The Rift S is the more premium experience. But the Quest has two main advantages the ability to play anywhere without wires and the OLED screens. It also has an adjustable IPD but, that might not even be an issue for you.

The Quest might never get an upgrade to 90Hz, that depends on Qualcomm giving Oculus low level access to the processor in the Quest.

Make a decision based on what you way you think you will use VR the most. If you will mainly use it connected to the PC get the Rift S, if you will mainly use it as a stand alone get the Quest.

I bought both over the long weekend and ended up returning the Quest. The image quality on the S is a little better, maybe 10-20% better, but the real deciding factor was the comfort. I couldn't wear the Quest for more than 30 minutes without it hurting, whereas the S can be worn for hours. Some people have modded the Quest with the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap, to make it more comfortable, but that's discontinued and out of stock absolutely everywhere and would have put the Quest at a $150 premium over the S even if it were in stock.

I loved the freedom of playing certain games wirelessly, but the S's comfort won out in the end. Every other factor between the two of them was close enough to not really matter.

Last edited:
This looks promising, +8 hours and counterweight to help alleviate facial pressure

VRPower_3_400x.jpg

https://virtualrealitytimes.com/2019/11/30/new-oculus-quest-vr-power-battery-pack-announced/

Well I bought a Rift S yesterday after going back and forth between it and the Quest. I have an IPD of 66.5mm which is slightly outside the ideal IPD range for the Rift S. 65mm is apparently the highest ‘ideal’ IPD for it but I’ve read online that there are people with ~67mm IPD that don’t have any issues.

Worse comes to worst I’ll return it. Purposely bought it from Amazon so I wouldn’t have any problems with that if it came to it.

Which of the two (quest, rift s) has the least amount of god rays and bigger sweet spot? My only experience with VR was with a Lenovo WMR and it was horrible.

Seems Rift S is overall better, as long as you have normal IPD.

Same lenses on both. I imagine Quest's darker blacks may make any remaining glare more noticeable and it's heavier weight may lead to drooping gradually shifting your eyes out of the sweet spot. Still a noticeable improvement over Lenovo, and some say even better than Index (albeit lower FOV)

The Lenovo Explorer was my first VR headset; I found it to be acceptable compared to others I had tried, but it was manual IPD adjustment that provided the biggest uplift for me, when comparing the “Gen 1.0” headsets.

I would suggest determining your IPD, before deciding on a headset. If you’re outside the average, you’re gonna have a hard time with the sweet spot on any headset without physical IPD adjustment.

I believe the Rift S is also manufactured by Lenovo, incidentally.

Is the Rift S more comfortable for glasses wearers compared to the Rift? I had to sell my original Rift because the pain from the pressure on my glasses was not worth it. I'd like to get back into VR, but not if I have to buy things like custom prescription lenses just for the headset.

Is the Rift S more comfortable for glasses wearers compared to the Rift? I had to sell my original Rift because the pain from the pressure on my glasses was not worth it. I'd like to get back into VR, but not if I have to buy things like custom prescription lenses just for the headset.
Have you checked the prices of the lenses? $65 for the Rift. Easy insert and done. My next VR headset I will also buy the insert. They are so cheap, why even think about it?

Have you checked the prices of the lenses? $65 for the Rift. Easy insert and done. My next VR headset I will also buy the insert. They are so cheap, why even think about it?

i'm not sure why I wrote it like that. I did look into it, but they couldn't make lenses with a prescription as strong as mine.

i'm not sure why I wrote it like that. I did look into it, but they couldn't make lenses with a prescription as strong as mine.
That would make more sense. The Rift ones I see go from -8.00 to +6.00.

Night and day for me, I didn't bother with prescription lenses on the Rift S as it's very comfortable. And my glasses have a somewhat bulky frame even.

Back