Review the game you finished recently.

Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart (PC)

I probably don't need to get too far into the weeds with this review. It's a platformer/action title with shooting elements mixed in, too. If you like those type of titles, it's about as good as any I've played. There are roughly 20 weapons that can be powered up and upgraded along the way. Of those, at least 12-15 of them are worthwhile. A few seem pointless (or clones of another weapon), but you don't have to bother with them if you don't want. You can do absolutely fine only using 4-5 weapons if you like. The main perk of having so many weapons is mostly so you don't run out of ammo.

On the technical side of things, the graphics for this title = full on amazing. It's one of the best looking games I've ever played in any genre. The sound is killer, too. Especially when it comes to directional audio cues. It also has almost zero loading. There are lots of graphical options to tweak in order to play it on a variety of systems. It has a pile of different scaling algorithms including DLSS frame-generation, too. Frame-gen works amazingly well, too. For a twitchy platformer, you'd never even know it was on. It's just as responsive either way.

The only complaint I have with the game is its length. It's a 12-15 hour game for most people. You might squeeze more out of it if you're going for a platinum trophy or maxing out all of your gear, but that's it. There's a NG+ mode, but it doesn't add/change much. You unlock 2 more weapons and you can power your existing weapons up more, but nothing else changes. Enemies are more spongy, but don't do anything different. The levels are all the same. I would have liked new arena challenges or some changes to the enemies/levels.

Still, the game is really, really good. It's a fun game and it's a hell of a tech demo, too. At this point you can probably find it for $30-40, too. That's a really good price for a game of this quality.

Highly recommended.

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius – Relics of War. Single player only.

Slowest game I've ever played. I was probably 3+ hours into my very first game using Space Marines before realizing that I had only been fighting the wildlife. I thought they were the other team. Finally discovered the other faction and killing one bad guy was comically slow. I'd deploy my entire army completely upgraded with every research completed and it would take multiple rounds to destroy a single aircraft or enemy vehicle. I spent almost half a day, real life 4 hours, sitting at the enemy gates trying to take down defenders. I got bored and ended the game. I bet I would have had another 4 hours of fun-free killing to clean up stragglers.

Started a second game as Necrons because they seemed more powerful. I immediately went out to try and find the enemy base. It would take 3 turns for two infantry squads to kill a pack of wild dogs. When I found the enemy base (Orks) I steam rolled them without issue.

I decided to try my first game again but cheat like crazy. I loaded in and made my entire army max level to try and move things along. Even with all level 10 units it was so boring I stopped playing. I'll probably have to try the other two factions just to see but I have not enjoyed the same so far. Probably 8-10 hours in and only finished two matches. Neither one was fun.

FF7 Crisis Core. Solid game. 8/10. It’s PSP roots were evident and I would’ve been pissed off to pay the full price. However, picked this up on discount and it was fine for a 10 hour run. Good to have some prelude to what happens in FF7 games.

Back