Retailers Recall Potentially Dangerous Buckyballs

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
After receiving over 50 reports of ingestion of Buckyballs and Buckycubes requiring medical treatment, six companies selling the product have agreed to a voluntary recall. The company that imported the desktop toys has since gone out of business, so no new threats, putting the majority of the toys already in consumer’s homes and businesses.

The tiny, powerful magnets are sold as a desktop toy that can be molded into different shapes. Although the magnets are meant for adult use, the CPSC said they pose grave danger to youngsters who play with them and to teenagers who use them to mimic tongue, lip or cheek piercings.

People who are dumb enough to ingest magnets or allow their young children to play them, when there is a clear warning on the packaging, have no place in the gene pool.

Really?

If it is not food, do not stick it in your mouth. If you die, because you stuck something in your mouth that was not food, it is a good thing. Removing your stupid useless self from existence reduces the resources wasted on you, as well as removing any future chance that your clearly defective genes are passed on.

Kids can swallow nickels and dimes. Should we recall those too? Idiocracy...

Nickels and dimes aren't magnetic. The problem is that the magnets can stick to each other through organ walls and membranes and cause real damage.

That said... Watch your fucking kids. It is common knowledge that they try to eat anything that they can fit in their mouths.

Nickels and dimes aren't magnetic. The problem is that the magnets can stick to each other through organ walls and membranes and cause real damage. .

Are we going to ban all magnets? One magnet and one piece of the right metal and the same thing can happen.

I'm waiting for the government to force companies to recall knives. They have sharp edges that could harm children playing with them.

To be fair, I can't think of many tiny objects that when swallowed will likely require surgical removal. Most things will pass through the digestive track unhindered. These things can actually kill you.

That said, watch your god damn kids etc.

I've got 5 unopened sets that I'm hoping will gain some value due to the cool back story.

God I hate this generation! Can we have lawn darts, metal unguarded fans and plastic bags without the warning labels on them back please.

Man do I miss play with plastic bags....

ITT: people without kids pontificating on how people should handle kids.

the us government hasn't recalled pennies , nickles or dimes and I am sure many a child have swallowed those

Well to be fair some of those with kids seem to be doing a fine job of raising them. A quick Google search will return quite a few other really intelligent things parents have done to or neglected to do for their children.

If someone can remember to lock their door at night and feed themselves they should be able to read the multiple warnings on the website before purchase (or at the retailer) not to mention the multiple warnings on the packaging and just put the damn things out of the kids reach.

I am very aware of how mischievous kids can be at finding or getting a hold of things they should not have but theres more to parenting than banning products that could hurt them.

Bah just pass those kids through an MRI. I can guarantee the dumbasses wont do it again after that. May need a mop and bucket to clean the room though.

the us government hasn't recalled pennies , nickles or dimes and I am sure many a child have swallowed those

If you swallow a coin you'll probably pass it. If you swallow a pair (or more) of powerful magnets, they apparently can stick together through your intestinal walls causing all sorts of problems and then have to be surgically removed.

It's definitely an overreaction by the CPSC, though. It's such a tiny blip compared to things like car accidents and unintentional drownings. They should recall cars and water. :D

I bought some before they took down the website. Thank you goverment for further proving that parents should not be held accountable for their children, and that the all knowing government is our childrens protector and savior. :rolleyes:

I bought so many of these when they were on sale. I don't even know what to say about people eating them.

I dunno about the rest of you, but this bit of news makes me MORE likely to try and purchase a set.

Also, as a parent, I'll agree with those who are saying that we're becoming to wussy of a society. I really enjoyed reading a nation of wimps. Good stuff.

LOL teenagers using them to mimic piercings. Nothing you can do to protect people as dumb as that.

Yeah, I can't say anything about small children and these things. But if a teenager dies from swallowing a magnet...yeah, there's a little Darwinian something going on there.

Or in this topic people without kids vent frustration over shitty parents buying magnetic balls and placing them near their kids, thus giving the government an excuse to fuck over non-parents.

Christ, usually I agree with your point. But even as a non-parent I think I can safely say... don't buy fucking Bucky Balls or anything similar if you have kids around. Don't keep them in the same house. The government should not be championing an end to end ban due to shitty parenting. And this is shitty parenting, it's not difficult to not buy toys that may kill your kids. I don't think. Then again I'm not a parent.

Apparently you need to be a parent before you can understand how stupid some parents can be.

Cows are sometimes given large magnets to ingest to remove metal objects from their stomachs as it allows such things to pass through hermlessly. Humans share a lot in common with cows including herd mentality, obesity, and general stupidity. I think they should be allowed to eat magnets if they want.

Apparently you need to be a parent before you can understand how stupid some parents can be.

It's rooted in the "You can't judge me" mentality which, I don't know about anyone else, annoys the ever-loving crap out of me.

A recall for a device intended for adults and in no way intended to go into your mouth because dumbasses were eating them.

Jesus Christ. Only in America.

A recall for a device intended for adults and in no way intended to go into your mouth because dumbasses were eating them.

Jesus Christ. Only in America.

The ultimate goal of the statist is to have everyone dependent on the state. By dumbing down everything and engaging in rank nanny statism, they accomplish this goal. People are no longer taught critical thinking skills; rather, they are taught that they should rely on the state to determine for them what is safe and what isn't.

In this case, the pig Kirsten Gillibrand is responsible for the demise of Buckyballs. It is not surprising that she is from New York, which is the least free state in the nation. People are fleeing from New York's rampant liberalism and oppressive taxes.

While you may think that I am over-reacting because Buckyballs are just toys, I am not. For the people who invested their life savings and countless hours into Maxfield and Oberton (the company that made Buckyballs), they say the company they worked so hard on unceremoniously shut down through a corrupt government that threatened to take everything they had and to ban the sales of their products through coercive violence. For the countless employees who worked for Maxfield and Oberton, they found themselves out of a job and unable to provide for their families because of the state.

We've had three sets in our break room at work for a few years... no "issues" yet. <sigh>
We've even had kids play with them, not one has put them in their mouth.

No company should be held responsible for this. With little children, the parents are at fault for improper supervision. With teenagers and older, they are demonstrating the effectiveness of natural selection. Sorry, but it's not acceptable for a teenager to use a product like this improperly.

Or in this topic people without kids vent frustration over shitty parents buying magnetic balls and placing them near their kids, thus giving the government an excuse to fuck over non-parents.

You might be surprised at what would qualify as being "near" a 3 year old. Anything in the house that isn't bolted to the ceiling would be a good starting point.

It only takes about 5 minutes. Ever taken 5 minutes to do something else?

Just include a padded helmet and a face muzzle with each purchase. Problem is then solved.......

You might be surprised at what would qualify as being "near" a 3 year old. Anything in the house that isn't bolted to the ceiling would be a good starting point.

It only takes about 5 minutes. Ever taken 5 minutes to do something else?

Would I? Beause by near I'd say nowhere in the hours or in any vehicle you put the kid. If you want magnetic balls so badly you can't just not own them, you are a shitty parent.

Back