Researching 360 AIO's for Fractal Design Torrent

Code_Man

n00b
Hardforum Team,

I am researching 360 AIO's for CPU cooling only that can best fit into a Fractal Design Torrent case. I have heard the only real spot you can safely mount is in the front. If this is correct, what options would you recommend? Currently, I am torn between the following:

1. Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 RGB
  2. EK AIO 360 Elite
  3. NZXT Kraken X73 RGB 360
If there are others that you have expertise in or would recommend, I am all ears.

Thanks,

the torrent is designed to be used with air cooling, so front mount is the only way to put an aio in it. the ek is the best on that list, you might even be able to jam a 420 aio in the front(LF II 420).

the torrent is designed to be used with air cooling, so front mount is the only way to put an aio in it. the ek is the best on that list, you might even be able to jam a 420 aio in the front(LF II 420).
Appreciate the feedback. I will consider the EK AIO for the AIO. Question: Do you have any experience in the CPU air coolers? I know the thermals are higher than the AIO's..

Hardforum Team,

I am researching 360 AIO's for CPU cooling only that can best fit into a Fractal Design Torrent case. I have heard the only real spot you can safely mount is in the front. If this is correct, what options would you recommend? Currently, I am torn between the following:

1. Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 RGB
  2. EK AIO 360 Elite
  3. NZXT Kraken X73 RGB 360
If there are others that you have expertise in or would recommend, I am all ears.

Thanks,
Good choice with the Fractal Torrent. If you're going with the full size, you can mount a 360 on the bottom. Some people might recommend against this, but it can be done safely as long as you monitor the AIO over time. When the pump/block is mounted above the radiator, there's a possibility that air could build up over time and decrease the AIO's cooling performance or actually cause it to malfunction. However, with a high quality AIO, this shouldn't really be a problem for years. Refillable AIOs (there are a few) are an extra plus in this regard in that if any air pockets do develop over time, you can more or less force them out and add more liquid if necessary.
The main feature of the Torrent is its 180mm fans, so I recommend you don't remove them if you don't have to. Those two fans move a massive 307 CFM of air for optimal cooling. Going to three 120s on your radiator will actually worsen the airflow (three 140s break even) which is the primary point of this case. There are custom cooling radiators that are 360mm with dual 180mm fans, but no AIOs in that configuration, so I would leave the case fans in unless totally necessary to remove them.
If building in the compact, you'll have to put it in the front and remove the 180mm fans, which is more undesirable in this case because of its size, and those 180s will really move a lot of air to bring down temps. Overall temps have been a bit higher in the compact than in the full-size Torrent. YMMV of course. You could use a 240 or 280mm radiator on the bottom of that.

Appreciate the feedback. I will consider the EK AIO for the AIO. Question: Do you have any experience in the CPU air coolers? I know the thermals are higher than the AIO's..
Noctua D15 would be a good choice, and it should fit comfortably in the larger sized cases. We just recommended it yesterday to someone building in the Nano, but in that case it's a very tight fit. You'll have enough room and a small amount of buffer space in the larger two. I used the Cryorig M9i in a build years ago, and it's a great cooler, but I'm supposing it's not still available.
This is one of those cases where airflow is so focused that air cooling can be more effective than water cooling (or at least as much). It will depend a little on your CPU, GPU, etc. but I've heard of no case where the airflow tops the Torrent.

Good choice with the Fractal Torrent. If you're going with the full size, you can mount a 360 on the bottom. Some people might recommend against this, but it can be done safely as long as you monitor the AIO over time. When the pump/block is mounted above the radiator, there's a possibility that air could build up over time and decrease the AIO's cooling performance or actually cause it to malfunction. However, with a high quality AIO, this shouldn't really be a problem for years. Refillable AIOs (there are a few) are an extra plus in this regard in that if any air pockets do develop over time, you can more or less force them out and add more liquid if necessary.
The main feature of the Torrent is its 180mm fans, so I recommend you don't remove them if you don't have to. Those two fans move a massive 307 CFM of air for optimal cooling. Going to three 120s on your radiator will actually worsen the airflow (three 140s break even) which is the primary point of this case. There are custom cooling radiators that are 360mm with dual 180mm fans, but no AIOs in that configuration, so I would leave the case fans in unless totally necessary to remove them.
If building in the compact, you'll have to put it in the front and remove the 180mm fans, which is more undesirable in this case because of its size, and those 180s will really move a lot of air to bring down temps. Overall temps have been a bit higher in the compact than in the full-size Torrent. YMMV of course. You could use a 240 or 280mm radiator on the bottom of that.
What I'm getting from your comment is stay with the 180s. Yes, I have been watching reviews and comments on the AIO mounted on the bottom and everyone throws there hands in the air in blasphemy. Wondering if CPU air cooler like the Nactua would suffice?

Noctua D15 would be a good choice, and it should fit comfortably in the larger sized cases. We just recommended it yesterday to someone building in the Nano, but in that case it's a very tight fit. You'll have enough room and a small amount of buffer space in the larger two. I used the Cryorig M9i in a build years ago, and it's a great cooler, but I'm supposing it's not still available.
This is one of those cases where airflow is so focused that air cooling can be more effective than water cooling (or at least as much). It will depend a little on your CPU, GPU, etc. but I've heard of no case where the airflow tops the Torrent.
Good to hear! Yes, more than likely I will be rocking a ( Ryzen 5950x, X570s Auros Master, and 3080 Ti ) Want to keep the processor and gpu in a happy place for thermals. If air cooling is just under the AIO option I might consider the air route.

D15 is the best air cooler and like Jon said; with this case, air performs close to the aios, within a few degrees C. its what its designed for.
ps DO NOT bottom mount an aio. there is always air in them and it will collect in the block and cause issues.

What I'm getting from your comment is stay with the 180s. Yes, I have been watching reviews and comments on the AIO mounted on the bottom and everyone throws there hands in the air in blasphemy. Wondering if CPU air cooler like the Nactua would suffice?
You should unless you absolutely have to remove them. The Noctua is an excellent cooler and you'll be right next to AIO temps. With your 5950x and 3080Ti, you're going to be cranking out heat but those two 180 fans will do a great job of cooling everything off. You can also put 120/140mm fans on the bottom instead of the AIO to help the GPU get even more cooling.

Back