Replacement for Shuttle XPC Cube with optical drive

ptr727

n00b
Hi, I am looking for a replacement case for my Shuttle XPC Cube SZ170R6-V2.
http://us.shuttle.com/products/sz170r6-v2/

I am tired of having to deal with USB3 dropout problems on the Z170 chipset and Win10. I would like to pick my own motherboard, while ideally re-using most of the components in my cube, plus adding closed loop water cooling.

My PC is on my built in desk with a wall in front and to the right of the desk, with my PC in the corner on top of the desk. This means that cases with front IO on the right hand side of the case does not work, so Bitfenix Prodigy M won't work well.

Since the case is on the desk, I prefer front IO on the front bottom, cases with IO on top are inconvenient, but could work, like the Nanoxia Deep Silence 4.

I archive all my purchased BD's and DVD's, so I need an optical drive bay.

Here is what I found:
Nanoxia Deep Silence 4: IO on top
Fractal Design Arc Mini R2: IO on top
Bitfenix Prodigy M: IO on right

The selection for small with optical seems very limited.
Any suggestions for a case; quiet and small (sits right next to me on the desk), Evga GTX 1070 (fits in Shuttle), IO bottom front or bottom left (case is in corner), optical drive bay?

Thx
P.

Ncase M1, IO is on the bottom and the case supports slot loading optical drives.

I love my Ncase M1, but the Cooler Master Elite 130 will be a little more cost effective (~$45 vs. $195 for the M1). Plus, it has a similar form factor to your Shuttle--although the 130 is a little bigger ( the 130 is 240W x 207H x 398D vs. the Shuttle that is 216W x 198H x 332D). The 130 can accommodate GPUs that are 343mm long. The USB 3.0 ports are on the left edge of the front of the case, but they are located about halfway between the top and bottom... so that might not work for you.

I have the 130's little brother--the Elite 110. It doesn't support an optical disc, though. Still, it is a pretty well-made case, so I would expect the 130 to be no different.

Shuttle PSUs are proprietary mount- advise you check to see if you can bring the PSU to the new case.

Did you go through the Silverstone case list. Some of the SUGO series cases are similar to the Shuttle you have and there are some MILO series cases that have feet to stand them up vertically which might work on your desk.

Shuttle PSUs are proprietary mount- advise you check to see if you can bring the PSU to the new case.
I'll sell the entire Shuttle enclosure when done.

Did you go through the Silverstone case list. Some of the SUGO series cases are similar to the Shuttle you have and there are some MILO series cases that have feet to stand them up vertically which might work on your desk.
The SG11 could work.

I ended up buying an Ncase M1, I'll see how it works out.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back