Remnant: From the Ashes

20200429101638_1.jpg

Reminds me of my favorite area in Rift the Pus Swamp =)

Game crashed on me twice playing the DLC the game is hard as it is by yourself not going to play until it's fixed.
I even zoned into another area and it crashed.

Just defeated the Dream Eater Boss is that guy tuff lol....
Fell into a hole a few time with a group of two then I got a group of 3 and finally finished him lots of adds and different stuff.

20200507123200_1.jpg

20200507123304_2.jpg

Fun DLC but you have to reset the adventure in order to get certin NPCs to spawn like the Queen. Someone said you reset it like 15 times to get her to spawn just don't have time for this some people do but I don't. I see there is a Jungle Adventure as well I'm trait level 65 I got a new gun but it's a toxic bloop gun from the boss above which I summoned co-op with a random. Too many secrets I don't have time for =)

I forgot about this game. I think I'll have to snag it now.
End up playing it?

I think this might still be my favorite comfort-food game of 2019. The mind boggles imagining if these guys and FROM Software ever teamed up somehow.

Looking forward to checking out Survival mode soon.

Last edited:
End up playing it?

I think this might still be my favorite comfort-food game of 2019. The mind boggles imagining if these guys and FROM Software ever teamed up somehow.

Looking forward to checking out Survival mode soon.

I haven't yet. I got wrapped up in RDR2 (it's a guilty pleasure at this point) and Borderlands. There isn't anything new on the horizon so I'll probably snag it as soon as I finish up RDR2 again.

Saw that the game + the DLC was 10% off this morning, so I went for it. Not like anything else is coming out any time soon.
Anything I should be aware of performance-wise or technique-wise? I usually play most games with a pad. Will I be at a major disadvantage here or will that work out okay?

^ I prefer games like RDR2 or Dark Souls with a pad too, but the name of the game with Remnant is crit damage, meaning headshots - often lots of them under pressure. I never tried with pad, obviously there are people on consoles that do fine, but mouse for lining up headshots quickly is my preference.

I'd also choose Ex-Cultist class because the healing trait is super handy, and other classes can't get it til much later.

Finally, early in the game make sure you explore the basement/lower area of the Ward fully - meaning stairs that take you down to a fuse/circuit breaker.

Last edited:
Good to know. I still play twitchy shooter games with a mouse, so I may swap over if I start getting clobbered. I tend to play heavy characters in most games. If there's a Zangief or Havel type character build, that's where I usually land.

I finally started this game up and am having a blast. I honestly wasn't sure about it for the first hour and the plot is kinda ridiculous...but it's a lot of fun once you get to the first real dungeon areas.

Performance was a little messy initially, but I've found that firing up Precision X1 with a RAM overclock is literally the only thing I needed to do to fix it. Before, shadow effects were killing my FPS. Anything except turning them to "low" was 1/2'ing my framerate, and low removes all light source effects and makes the game look horrid. PX1 with that tiny adjustment has me at 60fps with everything maxed at 4K, though.

In terms of the game, I'm enjoying the mix of melee and shooting. Gunplay is no big deal with a pad, so I'm sticking with it. I'm the big/slow hammer wielding Scrapper and love the mix of the hammer and shotgun/pistol. I'm a little annoyed that yet another company make a Souls game that changed the control scheme for no reason, though. I'm finally used to it, but I was crouching instead of dodging for the first hour.

^ I finished a new playthrough a few days ago and it reconfirmed that it might be my #1 most underrated game of all time. Running around drilling enemies with the hunting rifle is just satisfying.

Once you get down the muscle memory of dodging the big guys - and this really gets drilled into you during the Gorefist fight which I died to 100x - then you start to feel like Neo and its instinctive.

Basically, if you immediately kneejerk dodge then you get punished by most things in the game - but if you wait a split second and then dodge, that's the often the magic window. Merely trying to get behind them like a dark souls boss will not usually work.

Last edited:
I'm almost done with the swamp areas. I think I mostly understand how the game works, now. Before I started I had no idea it was randomized. I noticed some of my Steam achievements had odd %'s and a video I watched looked nothing like what I was seeing.
Now that I'm a bit further, I think I mostly have the dodge and swing timing down. I'm noticing that the game uses audio cues for lots of things, including dodges and tough enemy appearances. I've gotten 9-10 different weapons and 3 armor sets, but the ones I got early are mostly what I've stuck with. Partially because they're far more upgraded. I actually legit like the scrapper maul, so I'm okay with that. The assault rifle seems pretty godlike. Wish I could carry that and the shotgun at the same time since the pistol is just like a weak assault rifle.
In terms of difficulty, it isn't too crazy, but some of the bosses can be. They're a little spongy and they usually have a boatload of distractions. I've thus far been killing them on the 2nd or 3rd try in most instances, but a few I've struggled with a little. I have a feeling the swamp bosses might be another struggle fight. They're like the Moonlight Butterfly on steroids...and there are two of 'em.

Overall, it's a neat game and it's a ton of fun to play. Fans of any Soul'ish games would enjoy this one for sure. It lacks polish at times, but it's not like the Souls games didn't, too. Once I complete the game I figure I'll give the MP a shot. Seems like that would be a lot of fun, too.

^ pistol slot for me is Spitfire SMG which you get from Singe - the world boss before leaving Earth area. The Spitfire's secondary (flamethrower) is amazing for crowd control, especially with the Cultist's mod gen armor set. You can roll a temporary Adventure mode wanted to fight him and get it, or wait for another playthrough. Alternately, search the basement area of Ward 13 - get past the Fuse puzzle etc and you'll find something there.

Note on equipment scaling: a new area will scale enemies to the level of your highest upgraded piece of gear, so if you have a +5 pisrol but all your other gear is a random mix of levels, the world scales to that +5. Therefore might as well scale all the gear you actually use to +5 - all your armor and preferred weapons make them +5 at same time.

Last edited:
My favorite weapon was Ruin, the type-writer was fun as well.

I did use them all, and maxed out everything on my character, but always came back to Ruin.

Good to know about the scaling system. My weapons were all pretty similar (+13-15), but my armor was quite a bit lower. Those moths hit me hard, but I beat them after a few tries. At least in my case, that felt like a battle where you need a little luck. Since there are 2, you kinda want them doing their weakest attacks in conjunction instead of the screen-filling stuff. None of my weapons/mods hurt them all that much, but the fire ammo helped.

Is there a good way to grind upgrade supplies? Seems like all the breakable stuff doesn't re-spawn and that's where most of it is. Most of my alternate weapons are level 2-3, so boosting those isn't going to be easy.

Good to know about the scaling system. My weapons were all pretty similar (+13-15), but my armor was quite a bit lower. Those moths hit me hard, but I beat them after a few tries. At least in my case, that felt like a battle where you need a little luck. Since there are 2, you kinda want them doing their weakest attacks in conjunction instead of the screen-filling stuff. None of my weapons/mods hurt them all that much, but the fire ammo helped.

Is there a good way to grind upgrade supplies? Seems like all the breakable stuff doesn't re-spawn and that's where most of it is. Most of my alternate weapons are level 2-3, so boosting those isn't going to be easy.

My approach to avoid having to grind for materials is dragging my feet on upgrading gear level - meaning I only upgrade gear AFTER entering a new world (Earth, Rhom, Swamps, Yaesha etc) - I bump like +2 levels across the board for in-use gear. Reason being the enemies get locked to your gear level upon entry to the world but will not scale further if you do.

As for mat farming spots, probably youtube knows. Another option is playing MP, because you have 2-3x people picking up supplies and each pickup is shared to all players.

Last edited:

I think you just have to replay the game, I completed it a few times before they added some of the replay features.

there are lots of upgrades that only randomly spawn on a playthrough.

Every time I see this thread I'm reminded I should jump back in and play Remnant some more. I still haven't tried the DLC.

I just reached the end of the forest areas. I haven't fought what I assume is the area boss yet, but I've been holding off on upgrading anything so I don't make it super tough. I'm not even sure where/what the DLC is or does, but there's at least one more locked door in the labyrinth that I haven't touched.

I just reached the end of the forest areas. I haven't fought what I assume is the area boss yet, but I've been holding off on upgrading anything so I don't make it super tough. I'm not even sure where/what the DLC is or does, but there's at least one more locked door in the labyrinth that I haven't touched.
If you're talking about Yaesha, yes there are multiple possible mini-bosses and world bosses.

The DLC is an expansion of the Corsus (swamp) world with some additional areas, enemies, bosses. But it's seamless so there's no demarcation "basegame ends here, DLC begins here" which was confusing at first. Ultimately it doesn't matter, it's just a bigger Corsus now. And then Survivor mode of course, which I haven't played enough to form an opinion on.

Last edited:
Ward 17, here I come. I ended up facing "poor man's Sif" at the end of the level. I haven't leveled any gear up in a while (everything was level 16), and he was fairly easy. My fire ammo kept hurting him even when he left the screen, and I had all day to heal when hiding behind the stone monoliths.
I went back to the Labyrinth and tried my key to the other door. It ended up just being another route to Corsus.

Ward 17, here I come.
Unfortunately the final boss is a bullshit boss and really the only thing I don't like about the game. Don't know what the devs were thinking. It's counterintuitive and you'll likely have no idea what's going on the first time or three.

Unfortunately the final boss is a bullshit boss and really the only thing I don't like about the game. Don't know what the devs were thinking. It's counterintuitive and you'll likely have no idea what's going on the first time or three.

LOL, I only fought him twice and know what you mean. At first I thought I killed him on the first try. Then he went 1980's game boss and busted out a second form on me. I didn't seem to be doing any damage to him and my health plummeted without me noticing. I don't think I actually did any obvious damage to his "real form" on either try. At the very least I'm assuming I can't let those waves of enemies kill me :p

I enjoyed the last boss, it was a great change up, figured it out after 3 or 4 attempts.

Got 'em. Once I figured out there was a portal in the nightmare world it wasn't too bad. I also bought a bunch of buff items that I kept using. The healing potions kept me from taking damage in the void and I was using ammo containers, syringes, and frenzy dust to keep the damage flowing. No clue if the game wants you to stand and fight, but I just sprinted straight for the portal every time I went to the void. I killed the 1-2 enemies in my way, but it seems pointless to stay there longer than you need to.

There were definitely harder bosses I faced on the way IMO. Some could have been thanks to level scaling, but some were just plain tough. The twin butterfly bosses being one for sure. There was another where I had to destroy 3 bullet-sponge towers while being assaulted by waves of electrified ninja foxes. That fight was a sunofabitch since those things kept respawning.

There was another where I had to destroy 3 bullet-sponge towers while being assaulted by waves of electrified ninja foxes. That fight was a sunofabitch since those things kept respawning.
That's the Re-Animator fight. There's a trick there where if you enter the room and don't look at the walls (stare at floor and navigate w/ minimap), the ads won't spawn and you can just destroy the Orbs.

That's the Re-Animator fight. There's a trick there where if you enter the room and don't look at the walls (stare at floor and navigate w/ minimap), the ads won't spawn and you can just destroy the Orbs.

Good to know. That thing was rough. One of the first bosses (the Shroud) was also shockingly tough. Especially considering how early in the game you can potentially encounter him. I thought the game was "Dark Souls tough" after the first dungeon with him at the end. Little did I know that would end up being one of the toughest dungeons and bosses I'd face in the entire game. There are several shrines that make him appear in that dungeon prior to facing him for real, too. That whole thing is trial by fire.

I'm making a second run through the game just to see what random stuff I didn't get on my first pass. I've already faced 3 new bosses and acquired both the twisted armor set and magnum pistol. The magnum has quickly become my favorite side-arm, so I'm glad to finally have a pistol replacement that does damage. The level scaling is pretty readily apparent and it illustrates how challenging the first areas actually were. I think they're tougher than the other 3. You're learning the game, and there are lots of mini-bosses that are honestly tougher than the later ones. Anyway, I've got all my main gear up to level 19, but you have to get simulacrum pieces to make anything level 20. Looks like you need it to make rare gear level 10, too. I apparently have the maximum number of dragon hearts, so maxing out a full set of gear should be possible on this pass.

I managed to upgrade a couple weapons to +20 and I killed the Undying King this time around. I think I'm done for now. While still fun, it's starting to feel a little bit like a slog. I bet I'll enjoy it more if I re-roll the world in a few months and give it another go.

Neat game, though. The mix of gunplay and melee is well done. I wish it was a little longer (one more world) and I wish they didn't try to be so esoteric with the plot, but those aren't huge complaints.

I'm guessing the Swamps of Corsus DLC was made by a "B team" and this new DLC is what the "A team" has been working on since the game launched.

Grabbed this during the Steam sale and already 14 hours in after only a few days. Enjoying it with some co-op. Has some good challenge to it as well. Will probably grab the DLC at some point.

Remnant: From the Ashes goes free on Epic Games Store next week

Remnant: From the Ashes will be free on the Epic Games Store next week, from Thursday August 13th to the 20th

I'll definitely be picking this up!

Back