Remnant: From the Ashes

Greedfall isn't an FPS shooter at all, its a traditional CRPG in the vein of KOTOR, ME1 and Dragon Age. That being said, its also made by an indie studio with 12 devs, so it shows in lack of enemy types and recycled environments. Its fun if you want a more tactical experience.

Remnant is Dark Souls lite, the shooting is tight but don't expect to be getting loot like in Division. Loot is pretty limited and the interesting things are locked behind bosses and secrets.

For what your looking for Remnant is the game to go with, Greedfall would disappoint you.

I'm tempted go back and fire up janky Elex, which was why I was thinking of Greedfall.

I plan on playing this on mid weekend I just got to the 1st area selection once you activate the rune portal or whatever.

so how many of you are doing solo only in the game vs full coop. I mostly have been doing solo but damn some sections/bosses are incredibly hard.

so how many of you are doing solo only in the game vs full coop. I mostly have been doing solo but damn some sections/bosses are incredibly hard.

I did both. There are pitfalls to both.

In solo the dual sword mini boss on earth was the hardest for me as he blocks all frontal attacks. Most though I found single player harder at the start, but now that I have about 300 talent points single player is easier than MP. Really since about 100tp it got easier as stamina was no longer a problem and kiting the harder enemies became manageable.

In multi, some of the HP scaling makes certain boss fights harder, and the distraction of having your buddy downed has cost us many fights. The moths are a pain multiplayer but actually very simple single player.

Last edited:

Mostly Solo but I did do some public co-op for the "Save the Mother" boss. Agree in that I find some of the beginning more difficult than the Dark Souls games which I finished multiple times. I died in the the first dungeon more times than I care to say. The mini bosses are random so I hated getting multiple "dual sword" guys as those really messed me up as they did with Aireoth.

20190919033313_1.jpg
20190919044313_1.jpg
20190919040157_1.jpg

Finally got somewhere the levels wind around the corner and unlock like Dark Souls. I found a submachine gun in the ward had to put a fuse in a fuse box in order to open a door and stop a big fan that was blocking the passage fun stuff. People are not kidding about the adds in the game you have to melee them to close for gun range.

Oh, that room directly above the beating heart root room. I had no idea what to do with this role'd room. Can look up "Cult of the Root" now. Odd thing was I thought I shot it and even tried the mask but had no response. Therefore, I thought it was just some decor....

LOL the good stuff is how the level is randomized. you may see that section once but not again. They will be adding an additional earth dungeon boss into the mix today. gotta love what they are doing.

I reset my world a few times. I saw that section the first time but not since. Always the cross swordsman would rape my shit. I can kill them now though.

Oh, that room directly above the beating heart root room. I had no idea what to do with this role'd room. Can look up "Cult of the Root" now. Odd thing was I thought I shot it and even tried the mask but had no response. Therefore, I thought it was just some decor....

Don't kill the root hearts right away, go talk to the cultist first (he gives you an item).

The twisted mask is used on the tree that shows up in the middle of the street, if you put it on it will talk to you and give you Barkskin but you can't kill it then for the item reward.

Just completioned the game this weekend, ask away if you want to spoil any other secrets :)

I haven't had this good a feeling about a game that seemingly came out of nowhere, since playing the original Dark Souls (admittedly I caught the Dark Souls wave kind of late).

This game makes me wish time could be rewound, and the developer given millions more dollars to make a far bigger and longer version -- a proper AAA budget to match the AAA talent that worked on this.

I hope this is very successful and we see DLCs and maybe a sequel.

Last edited:
So I haven't had this good a feeling about a game that feels like it came out of nowhere, since playing the original Dark Souls - but then I caught that wave late too.

This game makes me feel like I wish millions more dollars could have been thrown at the developer to make a far bigger and longer version -- a AAA budget to match the AAA talent that worked on it. I hope this thing successful and we see DLCs and maybe a sequel.

Well the world rerolling leaves plenty of room for new campaigns and worlds. If they use it or not is another story.

Don't kill the root hearts right away, go talk to the cultist first (he gives you an item).

The twisted mask is used on the tree that shows up in the middle of the street, if you put it on it will talk to you and give you Barkskin but you can't kill it then for the item reward.

Just completioned the game this weekend, ask away if you want to spoil any other secrets :)

Ah, on a re-roll I encountered the heart, but not the cultist. Tried the usual of...does this do anything?....and did not have any reaction at that moment. But I was trying to get another encounter in the other worlds, and before the adventure mode was distributed I had to go through the whole trip again skipping some areas to speed my way to them. I have completed the game, and being a bit of a completion'ist and trait hunter just filling in what I have not done. At 415 trait rating, and missing only the Tommygun I think I am ready for Leto's....just need to have it roll.

Yeah the Cultist just ran right towards me and tried to kick my ass. I got a thorn item from him I think and some kinda quest.

Latos is on the first map. I haven’t actually gone too far in the game I’ve just been mostly playing the first map but the it came up on first try after the launch.

Do any of you guys know if this has couch co-op?
I'm trying to find a good co-op game for my girlfriend and I, something with a reasonably good/interesting story that we can play together on the same PC but I can't find much and the few I could find are split screen which she struggles with. She's new to gaming but is interested.

Do any of you guys know if this has couch co-op?
I'm trying to find a good co-op game for my girlfriend and I, something with a reasonably good/interesting story that we can play together on the same PC but I can't find much and the few I could find are split screen which she struggles with. She's new to gaming but is interested.

No split screen.

this game has got my attention...I've been reading reviews from sites I trust and as a huge Souls fan this sounds like it could be a worthy Souls clone...much closer then either Surge game or any of the other copycats...of course I would play this completely solo...is Normal, Hard or Nightmare difficulty setting recommended for Souls vets?

the game doesn't sound like it has the overall level design, world building, enemy design or boss difficulty of the From Software games but no game does and this sounds like the closest we're going to get- Dark Souls with guns

it depends on how you play the game. the world is randomized so the shortcut scheme just cannot work in it. (Surge 2 has tons and tons of shortcuts btw).
the world will scale with you and depending on how you allocate points (traits) you might get issues. I'd suggest starting normal until you reach a boss or 2 and seeing how that goes.
the good thing about the game is that you can always reroll it, change difficulty and restart with no penalties or loss of equipment.
There is also adventure mode which is a separate instance of the world which you can reroll at will. It does not contain simulacrum (highest upgrade material) though so it is somewhat limited

one thing: since this is a gun based (mostly) game your main limiting factor will be DPS. if you can't put out enough DPS you will fail, thus Normal may be useful to get and upgrade weapons/armor/traits then the rest is more manageable.

Last edited:
If you spoil yourself a bit, there are a few very early items that make everything easier and thus hard easier.

I wouldn't hesitate to try on hard and see how it goes, as you can just change back to normal by rerolling your world. I did not find this game particularly hard, but earth (the starting area) enemies are the most difficult. Not that the other worlds can't kill you or be difficult, its just the way the enemies and specials are designed in the first world they are just a little bit tougher to deal with.

All Events > Remnant: From the Ashes Events >

HARDCORE UPDATE: 218787
This update includes a new game mode, communication system, quality of life improvements, and more!
9dff1f4d9dfbb4eb30ab15942a76b876b0e21b79.jpg

A new update is available now for Remnant: From the Ashes! This update includes a new game mode, communication wheel, quality of life improvements, and more. Read up on the changes!

Build Number: XXXXXX

NEW CONTENT
  • New Mode: Added Hardcore Mode (permadeath) option
  • New Feature: Added Communications / Ping / Emote System
  • New Rewards: Added 6 new account-bound items (rewards for Hardcore Mode achievements)
  • New Rewards: Added Emotes (3 base emotes, additional Emotes as gameplay rewards)

DEVELOPER COMMENT: To give players a new way to play, we added a Hardcore Mode (permadeath) option. This requires the creation of a new character and allows you to play the game on Story or Adventure Mode on any difficulty with the caveat of permadeath (die once, GG!). In multiplayer, the team does not die until everyone is knocked down. This means that even if only one person is alive, they can revive the entire team at a World Stone. We also added a few rewards for beating biomes (and the game) on Hardcore. GOOD LUCK!

Additionally, we created a new Communications system. This is the initial implementation and will only get better over time. The goal is to allow players to more-easily communicate with each-other when the tried-and-true "crouch a lot" method just won't do. You can now request either Ammo Type, point in a direction, request help, request a return to a World Stone, Request Rest at Stone or Return to Town, and play emotes! Don't forget to play the game to unlock more hidden emotes!!!

We look forward to your feedback so we can continue to make this feature even better.

QUALITY OF LIFE
  • Settings: Added the ability to hide helmet (Gameplay > Show Helmet)
  • Settings: Added the ability to hide Tutorial Prompts (Gameplay > Tutorial Prompts)
  • Character Creation: Added ability to skip tutorial
  • Gameplay: Changed Scope option to Double Tap + Hold RMB/L2 (to facilitate Comms wheel)
  • General: Added the ability to support account-bound items (including the new Hardcore and Emote rewards)
  • General: Added another character slot
  • General: Many tooltip descriptions have been updated for clarity and accuracy

DEVELOPER COMMENT: One of the most-requested features was “Hide Helmet”... so now you can! We also added the ability to disable tutorial prompts which is extremely helpful when making new characters or playing the new Hardcore Mode. In addition, you can completely skip the tutorial sequence.

Additionally, to best support the new communications wheel, we adjusted how Scoping works. This allows players on console to have a dedicated ping button which can be used while aiming. We found it to be a fair trade-off. Players on PC can re-bind the original scope functionality on a button should they so desire.

MATCHMAKING
  • General: Added public session browse
  • PS4: Fixed matchmaking for Power Level 20 players
  • PS4: Fixed "Session is Full" error

WEAPONS
  • General: Removed minimum crit range on all weapons

DEVELOPER COMMENT: We've decided to revert this change until we have a better solution for players using weapons intended for long range at closer ranges.

ARMOR
  • General: Many armor values adjusted (generally no greater than 1-2% up or down)
  • General: Increased the speed and recovery of Light, Medium, and Heavy Rolls
  • Elder: Increased healing effectiveness of Dragonheart vs NPCS by 100%
  • Elder: Increased Believer buff significantly (from 20% max to 35% max)
  • Osseous: Increased damage ramp-up speed
  • Osseous: Increased damage ramp-down delay (damage remains higher for longer)
  • Osseous: Decreased damage ramp-down speed
  • Void: Reduced Power Transfer time from 10s to 5s (regain damage buff faster)
  • Leto: Increased the overall resistances of Leto's for all elements and status

DEVELOPER COMMENT: We feel that most of the armors are in a good spot for different playstyles but we wanted to ensure that the focus of each primary damage-related armor is enhanced. While the effectiveness of Radiant has served as our baseline (and remains so) we've made a few tweaks to Elder, Osseous, and Void to give them a stronger unique identity.

MODS
  • Seed Caller: Increased base damage from 20 to 50
  • Seed Caller: Reduced power cost from 500 to 400
  • Beckon: Increased base damage from 15 to 40
  • Beckon: Reduced power cost from 500 to 350
  • Iron Sentinel: Increased base damage from 4 to 5
  • Iron Sentinel: Increased power cost from 600 to 750
  • Tentacle Shot: Removed soft-collision (to reduce blocking issues)
  • Tentacle Shot: Increased power cost from 350 to 400

DEVELOPER COMMENT: As promised, we've increased the overall effectiveness of the summoning playstyle. In addition to significant buff to Elder armor (from 20% to 35% max damage), we've also increased the base damage of 3 of the 4 core summons. We also removed the soft-collision on Tentacle Shot which allows enemies to get closer to them and take more hits overall.

ITEMS / TRAITS
  • General: Adjusted many Trait & Item values to better coincide with heavier reliance on items/armors
  • General: Fixed an issue with Shadow Walker Trait not activating properly

DEVELOPER COMMENT: Since our Trait system allows players to have all of the bonuses at end-game with no tradeoffs/choices, we are gradually reducing the massive gains from Traits and shifting more of the benefits towards items. The goal is to bring back more choice in your loadouts and allow Traits to be smaller boosts

MISC
  • Gave the Wasteland Goodboy a nice bath. He immediately proceeded to roll around in the dirt and is just as happy as ever.

Please restart your game client to apply the update. Players will need to be on the same version to group up in multiplayer.

For all technical issues and bugs, please contact: https://support.arcgames.com/.

Follow our Twitter and Facebook pages for official announcements! Join the devs and other players on our official Discord server!

All Events > Remnant: From the Ashes Events >

Introducing - Leto’s Lab
A new dungeon available for FREE, releasing this Thursday, September 19th.
50174563b9bf49fa915a472157eb56691b196ef0.jpg

Introducing - Leto’s Lab! A new dungeon available for FREE in Remnant: From the Ashes, releasing this Thursday, September 19th.

The Leto’s Lab dungeon can be found dynamically spawned in Earth through the main campaign and Adventure Mode. Players will be challenged by a unique puzzle as you attempt to escape the lab and uncover the dark secrets of Dr. Leto Apostolakis’ experiments. Fight your way through new Splitter enemies and defeat the Riphide boss to receive a Displacement Crystal. Turn it in to McCabe at Ward 13 to craft your very own Flicker Cloak Mod.

Try and locate the secret Leto’s armor set hidden somewhere in the lab. It’ll take a sharp eye, steady aim, and a little luck to make it out alive!

2b1d0c8c55659802d2d66c915b53ed31b201fd0f.jpg

Leto’s Lab takes you on a quest through Research Station Alpha. The lab was established to research the mysterious red crystals, with the initial goal of using them as a source of infinite energy. The head researcher, Leto Apostolakis, theorized the crystals could be used for something else - to bridge space-time for near instantaneous travel. He was the one to unlock the World Stone on Ward 16 allowing mankind to take their first fledgling trips to other worlds. Leto’s experiments quickly diverged from their initial goal as he started using the World Stones to fuel a series of dubious experiments. The lab continued operating for months after the Root invaded, but was ultimately forced to evacuate when one of Leto’s experiments went awry.

Remnant: From the Ashes is available now on Steam, Xbox One, Playstation®4, and Arc. Stay tuned for more details, videos, exclusive reveals, and exciting content on our Twitter and Facebook pages. Be sure to join the conversation with devs and find teammates on our official Discord server.

20191104023954_1.jpg
20191104030837_1.jpg

I got to the 1st Boss it wasn't the Boss that bothered me Damn Rot adds posion Rot
so I went Online found two guys and kicked his ass we got to the next area but these guys seemed OP.
So I left the game Multiplayer isn't really as fun as Dark Souls but it' has it's own place think it's all the shooting instead of parry and sword combat.

If you spoil yourself a bit, there are a few very early items that make everything easier and thus hard easier.

I wouldn't hesitate to try on hard and see how it goes, as you can just change back to normal by rerolling your world. I did not find this game particularly hard, but earth (the starting area) enemies are the most difficult. Not that the other worlds can't kill you or be difficult, its just the way the enemies and specials are designed in the first world they are just a little bit tougher to deal with.

I started the game on Hard thinking no big deal, there was a learning curve just like Dark Souls, but enjoyed the difficulty. Then I reached Gorefist and that was brutal - I must have run it 100x before I finally became Neo in the matrix and beat him without taking a hit. But at Protect The Root Mother I hit a hard wall with lack of DPS, and didn't feel like running another boss 100x again just to figure out the perfect strat. I then learned how zone difficulty worked, and that it's locked by your weapon level when you first enter the zone - so I'd painted myself into a corner with boosting the wrong Traits, buying and upgrading guns and armor I ended up not liking, and decided to restart with a new character and do everything differently with a min/max focus.

Along the way my brain also wandered to that early keycard you pick up in Founder's Hideout - I thought "wait a minute" and thought back to that empty Fusebox in Ward 13. Everything clicked after that, some good stuff at the end of that investigative sequence.

The gunplay is satisfying, the procedural generation is genius, the developers are genius, this game is Genius.

Last edited:
20191107090316_1.jpg

I could probably beat this guy but quit right at this Boss got his life down to 1/2 the 2nd time. The Skull is just a add don't walk into the pool of green stuff.

I and a friend got this during the holiday sale. It's fairly basic but extremely solid and a lot of fun so far (about 6 hours in.)

It is great coop, each play through tends to differ as there are at least two sets of mini-bosses and major bosses for most areas, as well as unique encounters.

I really enjoyed wasting the minions of Cthulhu.

they were really going strong with the initial launch and then free DLC. I hope they put more stuff out. Paid DLC is fine. I have noticed with other devs do it renews interest and brings people back.

Can't say enough about this game - it really is Dark Souls with guns.

Have logged more hours in Remnant looting, shooting and dying than any other game this year. I even put off finally playing Sekiro for the first time until recently - believing I was saving an expensive bottle of wine for a special occasion - and because it's FROM and so well-regarded. Well Sekiro bored me after a few hours and I went right back to Remnant to re-roll a new campaign. I'll get back to Sekiro eventually, but Remnant is that addictive.

The final boss does make me want to violently shake the developer like a wailing baby in a restaurant, but the quality of the rest of the game makes up for it.

I'm seriously baffled that this game has flown under the radar for so many people. But then I caught it late too.

Last edited:
We got through the Undying King boss fight and a bit of the next zone, and the Unclean fat ass side boss. This game is one of the funnest co-op experiences I've ever had. I love the setting, lore, environments, character designs, boss fights, weapons, how smooth it runs... I just need it injected straight into my veins at this point.

Nioh and Remnant: From the Ashes sound like the best 2 Souls copycats (although I think Lords of the Fallen was also a great attempt at it)

I had a blast with the game for about a week, then all my friends stopped playing after a couple of us beat the story. I'll probably end up getting the DLC, I really enjoyed the game when I was playing it.

Back