Reference RX 5700 XT Heatsink Swap Mod

SPARTAN VI

[H]F Junkie
Just scooped up a Gigabyte RX 5700 XT with the stock blower for $339 at Micro Center and it's a hot bitch. Undervolted and happier now, but eventually going to slap a Kraken G12 + H50 AIO on it.

In the meantime, I got a bit curious about which coolers from the board partners will fit? This idea stemmed from this video where he slapped a R9 390/290 aftermarket cooler on his 5700 XT:

I apologize for the uh... enthusiasm. Anyway, I have a dying donor R9 280 "Dual X" that may work for this. Wondering if anyone else on [H] had tried this mod?

Last edited:
Here's my donor card torn down and ready for the transplant.

IMG_20190913_095439__01.jpg

You better make sure that die cutout on that heatsink lines up with the die on the card, or it will crush the core or not provide proper contact!

Does not fit. The massive aluminum block hits against R33 1917, and the plastic shroud also hits up against the I/O (Dremel would fix that). So I'll wait a bit longer for the Kraken G12.

IMG_20190913_120033__01.jpg

So for the record, the Sapphire R9 Dual X shroud is not a direct drop-in swap.

Last edited:
Just an FYI: washer mod + liquid metal = perfectly satisfactory card.

Did something similar last night. Used some rubber washers that were for case thumb screws and some IC Diamond 24ct. Dropped about 4-5C from the top and 5-6C from the idle temps. Very pleased!

Make sure the screws are well tightened. I was too cautious at first and didn't see much of a drop.

Now my true idle, ie; what it's at when I walk up to it in the morning, is down to 36c. And I keep my place at 72f.

Back