Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Scenario:
User has a big but long property and wants to be able to use his home WiFi 60 meters away from the house (think 'end of driveway').

I'm looking for a product that supports 2.4GHz WiFi and can be wired into the network, not some cheap WiFi extender that connects to a wireless network and rebroadcasts it on the same channel.

I'm wondering if any of the Ubiquiti AirMax ac products would be sufficient for this or if those products require an additional Ubiquiti endpoint / don't do what I want to think they might do.

I just posted to say LOL because I knew the suggestion was going to be for a ubiquiti product.
The M2 will be the cheapest option.

Are there any cheaper alternatives to Ubiquiti that you can recommend?

Cheaper? It really doesn't get any cheaper. The price performance of the Ubiquiti equipment is the reason they are mentioned in every post regarding wireless networking.

Sure, some hodge podge of old ass tech and dd-wrt firmware. If this is expensive I would just go home now. You will probably spend just the cost of the radio on cabling and a mount.

appliances aren't always the best answer. Antennas and ingenuity are going to do this better than an indoor appliance.

60 meters? One-way wifi isn't going to work. Your client device will be able to see the network but the AP won't be able to hear the device you are connecting from. Even if it does work it won't be reliable enough to use.

You need to set up a directional wireless bridge and then add a separate AP on the client side.

Get 2x ubiquiti nanostation loco m5's and a airgateway LR. That's the cheapest option that will be rock-solid stable.

Back