recommend a holiday coop game

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
I have old buddies that come to town over the holidays. We usually get a "LAN" going, drink some whiskey and enjoy some in person gaming.

Had an absolute blast with L4D and L4D2 a couple years, played insurgency one year, was OK I guess, War Thunder last year was meh.

I am really hoping to revitalize this get together, what is going on in coop these days, is there anything out there you guys can recommend?

Thanks for the suggestions

I see DayZ has a real release finally, it that any good?

Broforce
Dungeon Defenders!
Smash bros if you have a switch
Fighting games in general

There are some great options here. Are you open or against any particular genres?

Those who liked L4D games, check out Vermintide 2 (don't bother with the first one at this point), Killing Floor 2, and Deep Rock Galactic - these are all co-op FPS. Likewise, check out Payday 2 - I've not played for awhile and they've made changes but its a great game if you have people working together; my favorite was trying to attempt a silent heist with utmost precision! Last Year: The Nightmare looks neat (note: it is only on Discord Game Store at the moment; I am opposed to these kind of exclusives especially given Discord's windows only store policy) and so is the longer running "Dead By Daylight" which are both "co-op survivors being hunted by a player who's playing the killer and have to escape" kind of games.

Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn etc.. are great diablo style looters. Borderlands 2 and Borderlands The Pre Sequel mix this with an awesome FPS perspective and really fun co-op campaign making them perennial favorites. I hear good things about Warframe but I've not played for years. I hear that especially with the latest expansion/updates, Destiny 2 is a great co-op title as well!

If your'e open to some other genres let me be the first to suggest "Overcooked 2" - it is truly a blast played as a co-op title, where players have to work together to properly cook food to order while all sorts of wacky things happen on each stage. Fantastic co-op , you'l want to beat the 3 star score and will have people yelling to each other "I need more burger paddies! Throw some buns over the chasm! Someone wash the goddamn plates we're out! Shit, things are on fire!" Don't let the cute graphics put you off, its well worth playing!. I'd also suggest "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" - it is a fantastic party game. One player gets on their PC and runs the game, everyone else goes to www.bombmanual.com on their PCs or phone. Only one looks at the bomb, so the rest of them need to walk him through how to defuse - its a test of communication skills but can be damn fun with good friends and people you trust! Lastly, check out Tabletop Simulator - available for online or LAN play it is exactly as it sounds, if you want to play some card, board etc.. games without actually setting up cards or boards Tabletop Simulator is great. It has tons of built in game and minitures - including a setup for Dungeons and Dragons , but that's nothing compared to A) the amount of free Steam Workshop games and assets and B) official DLC versions of board games!

There's more I could suggest but any of that sound good? If you're into "survival" type games or MMOs let me know and I can suggest some of those as well.

Edit: Lastly, I don't want to stir up a shitstorm but in all honesty, Star Citizen is great co-op fun! Alpha 3.4 has a lot of multicrew ships and fun missions you can do; just realize its still an alpha. Any questions just let me know!

Fuck, I want a new Left 4 Dead game. I need one. Can't get back into L4D2 no matter how much I love it. Total burn

I have no problem going back to TF2 though. Fun as always

Fuck, I want a new Left 4 Dead game. I need one. Can't get back into L4D2 no matter how much I love it. Total burn

I have no problem going back to TF2 though. Fun as always

Maybe check out Strange brigade, seems like a somewhat similar game.

I just did. I like L4D because it's a fast paces first person shooter with zombies. Unfortunately, this is nothing like it in the game play department.

I'm having a blast playing Strange Brigade with my 10 yr old daughter ..

if on PC's, Hunt:Showdown is great fun with a buddy

Try fistful of frags

It’s a free old west half life multiplayer mod on steam. It was the most fun at our last LAN party. Lots of unique fun there.

Blur is a lot of fun at LAN parties too (basically super Mario cart with real world car models and arcade style racing.)

I have old buddies that come to town over the holidays. We usually get a "LAN" going, drink some whiskey and enjoy some in person gaming.

Had an absolute blast with L4D and L4D2 a couple years, played insurgency one year, was OK I guess, War Thunder last year was meh.

I am really hoping to revitalize this get together, what is going on in coop these days, is there anything out there you guys can recommend?
is your buddies bringing there own gaming pc's/laptops to yours or are you after LOCAL MP games?

broforce
Path of exile
Endless dungeon ( Beware multiplay oftne goes haywire before you cna fininsh a full campaing. but its still fun to do

Another vote for Vermintide 2. It borrows heavily from L4D’s formula (the boss rats are almost a complete copy/paste) but has a steampunk theme, humanoid rats instead of zombies, and adds some gear and character leveling mechanics. It can be very chaotic and fast paced.

If there’s only 3 of you, Orcs Must Die Unchained is another good option. Requires team planning and coordination, can be pretty chaotic as difficulty ramps up and levels get more complex, and it’s easy to learn. Its also nice that the game is free to play.

is your buddies bringing there own gaming pc's/laptops to yours or are you after LOCAL MP games?

I maintain 3 capable systems, 1@ 5760x1080 1@ 1440 and 1@ 1080

We ended up playing Borderlands 2 and had a great time.

Lots of great suggestions in here, thanks to everyone!

Back