Recognizing old SSDs after new OS installation?

SLP Firehawk

Limp Gawd
Hi. My PC has many SSDs (L M N O). I am going to re-install Windows 7 64 Pro on a new SSD system drive C:\ and am wondering best approach? Is this correct?
Unplug my media SSD drives. Install Windows and get it activated and working. Then plug back in my media drives (L M N O)?
Will my media drives be recognized as before or will they need to be reconfigured?
Some of them are connected via an add in card because my MB Asus P9X79 Pro has limited SATA 6 connections

You'll be fine unplugging/replugging since you aren't doing RAID or anything special with them. You don't even have to unplug them during the reinstall as long as you're careful selecting the OS install drive (though I unplug everything not critical to the OS, myself, because of that simplicity factor).

The only thing you'll probably have to do after reconnecting them is to change the letters back to their old assignments if that matters to you.

Thank you both very much. I forgot to mention that all those media drives have lots of media files on them that I plan to continue to use with my new installation. So if they simply need drive letters changed that will be super easy and I can continue working once I get my OS reinstalled on my new system drive

i would disconnect them. windows sometimes puts random files in weird places. after you reconnect them they should just work. as mentioned above, you might need to change drive letters.

Windows 7 specifically does this, I always unplug every drive that isnt the boot drive if I do a W7 install. NVMe made it a bit easier since I can just shut the SATA controller off.

Back