Reason for failed automatic device encryption. TPM not usable. Windows 11 can't install anymore

Macho

Weaksauce
System Information. At the bottom of the page. Device Encryption Support. Reason for failed automatic encryption:
TPM is not usable. PCR7 binding not supported. Un-allowed DMA capable bus/devices(s) detected TPM is not usable.

Put the mouse arrow over REASONs for FAILED automatic device encryption.

Windows 11 will NOT be able to be installed again to use the product key anymore. Windows 11 product key does not
work With Windows 10. NO TPM that will work anymore... no Windows 11 re installation on this MSI computer motherboard.,

MSI B365 Mag Mortar I was running good until I attempted to use a different Kingston SSD with my NvMe SSD.
Took me all day to discover that the TPM was not able to work again.

Direct Memory Access. DMA.

PCR7 Configuration: Binding is not possible.

All this used to work until I added a Kingston SSD. I had an old Samsung that worked.
My C:\ Drive is a WD NvMe. First thing that happened was I could no longer boot on it.

What is this binding. A hypervisor has been detected also.

I do not expect any quick and easy answers to this serious question.

Last edited:
Your post is amazingly fragmented and difficult to understand. Start from the beginning - what exactly are you trying to do, that you are currently unable to do? Or are you simply over-reacting to an obscure error message buried deep in the System Information app?

Are you actually trying to enable some type of encryption on a particular drive, or are you just referencing drive encryption due to the error message in System Information?

Are you actually trying to install Windows 11 currently? If so, have you actually ran into issues related to TPM, or are you just assuming that you won't be able to Install Windows 11 based on the error you saw in the system information app?

If you run (Windows Key + R) "TPM.MSC", what does that say about the status of TPM?

All this used to work until I added a Kingston SSD. I had an old Samsung that worked.
My C:\ Drive is a WD NvMe. First thing that happened was I could no longer boot on it.

Are you sure that this isn't something much more simple? Maybe installing the 2nd SSD changed your boot order and it's trying to boot from the wrong SSD now? Have you checked in your BIOS to make sure that your primary drive is still at the top of the boot order?

No TPM 2.0 or 1.2. Enabled in bios and secure boot and UEFI switched over to. Just both TPM's are missing. I was working at
it for 2 days and it just did not want to get itself fixed.
I took out the Bios battery and shorted the two pins with the jumpter to clear the CMOS and then went through it again.
I decided to go back to Windows 10 and not use UEFI.
The product key for my Windows 11 does not activate Windows 10, so I used another one I had and that is that for now with no one able to explain it, I just want out of this nlightmare for now.

I used M-FLASH to flash the newest version bios. v1.43

When I re-booted, I had my TPM back... TPM 2.0 Attestation - ready, storage - ready
and core isolation.

Bios problem when a second SSD is installed somehow.

Last edited:
If TPM is enabled in bios, you might want to reinitialize the TPM.. if anything was encrypted, it will be gone so be careful. Otherwise, the Mobo will need a warranty replacement AFTER you update TPM firmware.

If TPM is enabled in bios, you might want to reinitialize the TPM.. if anything was encrypted, it will be gone so be careful. Otherwise, the Mobo will need a warranty replacement AFTER you update TPM firmware.
O.K. I finally downloaded the more recent bios update from MSI. Version 1.43. Windows 11 support added in this update.
Download it to the USB drive and then inserted it in the correct USB in the back. M-FLASH in bios -> it reboots the computer and puts the v.143 file to where the cursor can be put over it, Press ENTER and it updates the bios.

Warranty replacement not needed. I downloaded the Windows 11 update for Windows 10 and it kept my files. (Windows11installationassistant)

Last edited:
Back