Re-installing Windows 10

Domingo

Fully [H]
After managing to bork some things along the way, I'm thinking about starting over with a fresh Windows 10 install. I can't specifically recall, but I think I'm probably on an install that has been upgraded from Windows 7, to 8, to 8.1, to 10. The joys of imaging software. I'm good about keeping things clean, but at a certain point I probably do have a decent amount of old trash building up.

Long story short, does the activation via your MS account seem to work for most people? I know there were some initial issues, but have those mostly been resolved? What about current and old Windows product keys - do they still work?

I can't specifically recall, but I think I'm probably on an install that has been upgraded from Windows 7, to 8, to 8.1, to 10.

Just keep in mind that there is some ghetto stuff going on with the MS activation servers today that is causing a lot of people who upgraded from 7 and 8/8.1 (among others) to not be able to activate their 10 install all of a sudden. So if you install today via whatever method and for whatever reason and can't activate, it's probably because of that, not because you did anything the wrong way.

For what it's worth, the process went smoothly. No hassles at all and it was activated during the setup process. Now I just have to get all of my settings and whtatnot configured.

Interesting discovery - Windows makes your user folder based on a truncated version of your e-mail address. If you install it initially using an MS account, you're pretty much stuck with it, too.
I ended up starting over and installing things with a local account in order to choose my user folder name. I get why things work this way, but I do wish they'd let you choose your user folder name. All of the ways to supposedly change it are janky at bet and totally ineffective at worst.

Interesting discovery - Windows makes your user folder based on a truncated version of your e-mail address. If you install it initially using an MS account, you're pretty much stuck with it, too.
I ended up starting over and installing things with a local account in order to choose my user folder name. I get why things work this way, but I do wish they'd let you choose your user folder name. All of the ways to supposedly change it are janky at bet and totally ineffective at worst.

lol yeah i found that out the hard way.. my user folder in windows is sirmo.. but i don't care enough to bother redoing it since i'm the only one that's ever going to see that, lol.

Back