Raspberry Pi is shipping!!!

I never got a chance to order one in the first batch. I'd still really like to get my hands on one.

Figures... I just ordered a new media box for my TV on Friday...

You're probably better off; I also could/did not order because of the mass confusion at launch. Raspberry Pi did an awefull job of the launch...bugs, certifications, communication. If you ordered now, the wait time is almost 1/2 a year.

You're probably better off; I also could/did not order because of the mass confusion at launch. Raspberry Pi did an awefull job of the launch...bugs, certifications, communication. If you ordered now, the wait time is almost 1/2 a year.

Wow that's just a god awful turn around time. There was so much hype around this little product and by the time it actually gets out there , I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit forgotten.

This is good news!

Not to start a flame war but people need to stop ripping on the foundation for the late shipment and all the confusion. This is their first project like this, not to mention they volunteer their time for this. there was very little real hype before a few months before release. their distributors did not think the hype was that big and thought they could handle the load, which they could not. then they refused to ship until the certification which was not to be needed till they started selling with cases as it was not a finished product but instead a dev board like the beagle board which does not have certification.

Now could it have been handled better?? yes it could have.
Im also not saying it is not their fault but just not entirely, there was way to many things at fault.

Just my .02

This is good news!

Not to start a flame war but people need to stop ripping on the foundation for the late shipment and all the confusion. This is their first project like this, not to mention they volunteer their time for this. there was very little real hype before a few months before release. their distributors did not think the hype was that big and thought they could handle the load, which they could not. then they refused to ship until the certification which was not to be needed till they started selling with cases as it was not a finished product but instead a dev board like the beagle board which does not have certification.

Im also not saying it is not their fault but just not entirely, there was way to many things at fault.

Just my .02

We understand the point you are making its just that we all want to get our grubby hands on it but unless you pre-ordered in advance , you are going to have a long wait.

I think that's the overall census.

This is good news!

Just my .02

I agree with you about the handling part. I was lucky enough to get my order in within a couple of days of the launch. I just gotta wait for Element14 to ship it :D As for the certifications, they had to go ahead and do the certs because the product ended up having a very high demand from people outside of the engineering community. source: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/852

Let the hardcore dudes get them, get XBMC working smoothly, get all the peripherals working with it... and then by the time the rest of us can order there are probably guides on setting them up in easy mode.

Takes a little patients, but the lack of future frustration might be worth it for me.

Let the hardcore dudes get them, get XBMC working smoothly, get all the peripherals working with it... and then by the time the rest of us can order there are probably guides on setting them up in easy mode.

Takes a little patients, but the lack of future frustration might be worth it for me.

This is exactly my plan. I just recently found out about this and the ability to put XBMC on them. I figure I'll check back in 6-8 months time and most of the kinks will be worked out. At that point I'll pick up a few for different rooms in the house to pull from my main XBMC rig in the living room.

We understand the point you are making its just that we all want to get our grubby hands on it but unless you pre-ordered in advance , you are going to have a long wait.

I think that's the overall census.

Thanks for understanding :D

Lucky for me i got a pre-order in with in a few hours of the release so mine should hit this summer if all goes well. I do plan to use it with xbmc. i have a lot of projects that i have been coming up with that would be cool to try but i need to wait till they start shipping more then one to a customer.

I really want one of these... for what purpose? none really, they are just so cool!

Hi, I'm new here. Were can I buy one of these? I only seen two approved vendors and both didn't have an option to buy. I signed up to be notified, but would like to get my hands on one of these if possible?

Hi, I'm new here. Were can I buy one of these? I only seen two approved vendors and both didn't have an option to buy. I signed up to be notified, but would like to get my hands on one of these if possible?

They are shipping only the pre-ordered ones. Under 2000 units aprox.

Next batch is coming soon but no firm date yet.

Edit.It seems people that ordered before April 16 should receive their RPi in june. The rest in july.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1081

Last edited:
This delivery time pain should only be temporary, right? I read they're going to be handing off manufacturing and distribution to another company after the completion of the first batch.

They already have to distributors and once the first 200,000 pre-orders go out they should start meeting demand, any pre-orders before April 16 (i think thats the date) will be shipped out before the end of June.

This delivery time pain should only be temporary, right?
Right, the question is how long will "temporary" be, the impression i'm getting is it will take a few months to clear the current backlog then when the current backlog is cleared the 1 per customer restriction will be lifted which will almost certainly create a new backlog.

I'd bet we are at least 4-6 months away from the pi being in stock for immediate dispatch without quantity restricitions.

Order date of 4/18, why didnt I just order a few days sooner :rolleyes:

2vnia95.jpg

When I placed the order I opened up the chat feature built into the site and asked what the estimated ship date was and they informed me July sometime, so I have higher hopes than my order page and from what I've been hearing.

Order date of 4/18, why didnt I just order a few days sooner :rolleyes:

2vnia95.jpg

When I placed the order I opened up the chat feature built into the site and asked what the estimated ship date was and they informed me July sometime, so I have higher hopes than my order page and from what I've been hearing.

That's odd. I'm still on the waiting list.

Got this email from Newark Element 14 today 5/1. I ordered on 3/1/12 @ 2:40 PM. The wording "coming very soon" isn't the best, since they then say June 18th ;).

Great News!
Your Raspberry Pi is coming very soon and you can now get 15%* off on all Pi accessories

Dear MN Scout,

We're excited to inform you that your Raspberry Pi will be delivered in an upcoming shipment beginning the week of June 18th. We will have your firm delivery date, after manufacturer confirmations are made, on Newark.com. If you don't have all the accessories you need for your Raspberry Pi, please take advantage of this 15% off coupon on your next purchase from Newark.com.

Please Note: The delivery date reflected in your order history on www.newark.com will not update until stock is received in our warehouses. The delivery date shown in this email is the most accurate delivery date we have for your order.

Simply add all your accessories to your cart and then enter this voucher at checkout to receive your discount: RASPBERRY

Here's what's been happening with shipment and delivery of Pi:
As you may have heard, all the Raspberry Pi units require a CE (compliance tested) mark prior to distribution. We are pleased to report that this testing has been successful, following an accelerated application, jointly conducted by the Raspberry Pi Foundation and Newark element14. So once again, we thank you for your patience as you've waited for the delivery of your Raspberry Pi. We'll be sure to keep you up to date as more news becomes available.

In order to stay up to date, we invite you to visit the Raspberry Pi FAQ section on our Community.

Got this email from Newark Element 14 today 5/1. I ordered on 3/1/12 @ 2:40 PM. The wording "coming very soon" isn't the best, since they then say June 18th ;).

I got the same email except my date is May 29th and I placed my order Feb 29th

I got the same email except my date is May 29th and I placed my order Feb 29th

I waited for Newark to fix the error in the shipping charge before I'd place my order. I think I got my order for free shipping (that new error worked in my favor).

A new programming project is on my plate right now, so I'm cool with the Raspberry Pi coming in June. Don't have the time to work on it now.

what are you goign to make with it?

I honestly have no idea yet. It was one of those 'geek' things and I just had to have one. I'll play with it for a bit before I decide on a true purpose. I do have another one coming in a few weeks that I'll be giving away at Losias.net. They are definitely cool little boards. Although having played with a few Via pico-itx systems in the past, I do wish it were slightly smaller.

I honestly have no idea yet. It was one of those 'geek' things and I just had to have one. I'll play with it for a bit before I decide on a true purpose. I do have another one coming in a few weeks that I'll be giving away at Losias.net. They are definitely cool little boards. Although having played with a few Via pico-itx systems in the past, I do wish it were slightly smaller.

to bad they don't have dual hdmi :( would be a great little client based unit..

why do you need dual hdmi?

for dual monitors :)

My main system that i use is like a core 2 duo 4 gigs ram and a 32gig ssd and all i do is rdp to my main server and use that as my desktop.

Would be nice to make a small system run 2 lcd's mouse keyboard and have it take up NO SPACE :) ( other than the 2 monitors. )

If you are using RDP then why not get 2 Rpi, one for each monitor.

I bought one as well because I have no idea what the fuck to do with it. BUT THAT'S THE AWESOME PART!

Back