Raspberry Pi 4 vs x86 Emulation

robijito123

Limp Gawd
Questions does hardforum have a singlebard computing area?

But actual question for Raspberry Pie 4 vs say a i7 3770s or a 6600 i5, in regards to gaming and speed which would you recommend starting down the path for a Retro Pie / Windows retro gaming experience, assuming x86 or rPi 4 are relativelyy similar acquisition costs.

What systems do you want to emulate? What games? There are many many questions in between.
Retro Pi has been around for many years because when properly configured it works for most people’s needs. A 4gb RPI 4 is an excellent start with retro pi.

Well ease of setup is a start, but probably would want the older systems like MAME, Nes, snes, genesis. Honestly not really into advanced machines like n64, or ps1, but there are some ps2 and honestly not really sure how emulation has advanced past there. I am definatly think a 4gb Pie 4, I guess a great start with maybe a Microcenter Cabinet kit. I guess question is if there are quick easy fun systems that a semi modern intel chip can get vs a pi, maybe other caviet is lack of gpus in x86 space as well.

Well ease of setup is a start, but probably would want the older systems like MAME, Nes, snes, genesis. Honestly not really into advanced machines like n64, or ps1, but there are some ps2 and honestly not really sure how emulation has advanced past there. I am definatly think a 4gb Pie 4, I guess a great start with maybe a Microcenter Cabinet kit. I guess question is if there are quick easy fun systems that a semi modern intel chip can get vs a pi, maybe other caviet is lack of gpus in x86 space as well.
The lack of GPU’s right now (and the crazy inflated mark-ups for when they are available) would definitely be a factor against getting a PC setup right now if you needed/wanted to buy something new for retro gaming emulation. A Pi 4 with 4GB actually does a phenomenal job of emulating all of the old school/classic stuff, and can pretty much handle a N64 and PS1 as well in emulation, but you’ll probably want to mildly overclock and actively cool it with a small heatsink/fan. I’ve been very happy with what the Pi 4 can do with the retro arcade cabinet I built.

Last edited:
Questions does hardforum have a singlebard computing area?

But actual question for Raspberry Pie 4 vs say a i7 3770s or a 6600 i5, in regards to gaming and speed which would you recommend starting down the path for a Retro Pie / Windows retro gaming experience, assuming x86 or rPi 4 are relativelyy similar acquisition costs.

This is the best-value x86 single-board all-in-on computer you can buy for a Raspberry Pi r4 replacement. It is roughly 2x the emulation speed of the Pi 4 while not forcing you to work-arund anything not yet ported to ARM. It also comes with Windows!

You can play 2d and light 3d Steam games on it (12 EUs = about half the speed of HD 620). N64, PS2 and Gamecube should also be doable.

https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Cele...cphy=9007849&hvtargid=pla-1156651800654&psc=1

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This is the best-value x86 single-board all-in-on computer you can buy for a Raspberry Pi r4 replacement. It is roughly 2x the emulation speed of the Pi 4 while not forcing you to work-arund anything not yet ported to ARM. It also comes with Windows!

You can play 2d and light 3d Steam games on it (12 EUs = about half the speed of HD 620). N64, PS2 and Gamecube should also be doable.

https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Cele...cphy=9007849&hvtargid=pla-1156651800654&psc=1
Actually this is more in line what i was wanting to do, I do have access to a i7 7700 sff, but was unsure if the hd 630 would have as much omph as the rpi 4 gpu, but if the hd 600 does then I may be good. That is a pretty stellar system though. So next question stick with win 10 or is there any extra goodies to be gained going with ubuntu, or lakka or something in that realm?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Actually this is more in line what i was wanting to do, I do have access to a i7 7700 sff, but was unsure if the hd 630 would have as much omph as the rpi 4 gpu, but if the hd 600 does then I may be good. That is a pretty stellar system though. So next question stick with win 10 or is there any extra goodies to be gained going with ubuntu, or lakka or something in that realm?

Not really worth going Linux - the whole point of Linux being so popular for sbcs is because the larger and easier-to access library of ARM support. (you can't really run Windows on a Pi 4.)

You can install the exact sme front-ends available on Pi - Retroarch / EmulationStation / , and all the same standalone emulators are available.A thead with suggestions::

https://www.reddit.com/r/EmulationOnPC/comments/fqp5dv/whats_the_best_frontend_on_windows_10/

Last edited:
Back