Rare - Motorola 68000 processor Engineering Sample

The listing says, "came from the estate of a systems engineer", I hope Thomas Gunter hasn't passed.

I have found memories of the 68k series.

The 68k was a really novel CPU for its time. In an age of everyone still making 8 bit CPU designs, Motorola was forward thinking and made a 16/32 bit design that still is useful today.

I have an engineering sample of a ceramic gold pin 68000 rated for 16 MHz made in late 1979 and it mostly works (EFX68000C16). I installed it in my Sega Genesis and most games run fine on it, but there are some like Out Run which crash with a garbled screen during gameplay.

Reactions: erek
like this
The 68k was a really novel CPU for its time. In an age of everyone still making 8 bit CPU designs, Motorola was forward thinking and made a 16/32 bit design that still is useful today.

I have an engineering sample of a ceramic gold pin 68000 rated for 16 MHz made in late 1979 and it mostly works (EFX68000C16). I installed it in my Sega Genesis and most games run fine on it, but there are some like Out Run which crash with a garbled screen during gameplay.
pics?

I was a bit off on the date, it's 1985, not 1979. The 1979 was a different 68000 I had awhile back.

6J9eCPIh.jpg

The listing says, "came from the estate of a systems engineer", I hope Thomas Gunter hasn't passed.

I have found memories of the 68k series.
Tom Gunter is alive and well in Austin, Texas. He still consults on occasion. He is 74. He was the youngest Motorolas to earn every award given by Motorola. He holds 12 patents with Motorola and is known as the Father of the 68000. There is a great video of an interview with some of the design team. It was conducted by the museum in Phoenix. Murray Goldman is living in San Diego, California. Gary Daniels passed away a few years ago.

Thanks for the great info, is your info from that video or are you perhaps a friend of the family? Got a link to the video?

9D439B8C-F928-4874-9628-978CD194C63C.jpeg

Left: Thomas Arthur Gunter, our son, lives in Austin and works for Sysco. Right: Thomas G. Gunter, the “Father of the 68000”. Retired as Corporate Vice President and General Manager, Motorola Microprocessors Corporate Vice President and General Manager during 1975–2005; credited with architecting the 68000 family products.

i have always wanted to mess around with the Sharp 68000 computer from Japan.

Reactions: erek
like this
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The list of processor architectures that would have made the tech world a better place if they'd managed to edge out x86 is far, far too long...

Back