Rare Google Stadia DevKit from Japan: Custom AMD + Xeon Build Tear-Down

erek

[H]F Junkie
This is pretty sweet. Love Engineering / Dev Equipment

|We got our hands on a rare Google Stadia Developer Kit for about $1000 from a Japan-based technology auction. Console Dev Kits rarely make it to market and are always a unique opportunity for insight into how game developers make games for various services and consoles. Google Stadia is dead now, but the devkit still has use outside of Stadia. The AMD V320 GPU is one of the most interesting aspects of this build, along with the high-end Xeon processor.|

Hell yes, dev kits are always awesome, especially if they are proprietary equipment that the general public is never supposed to see!
This one had some really obnoxious decisions: oddball one-of-a-kind PSU and front-panel connections, stuff that's right up Dell's alley.

This one had some really obnoxious decisions: oddball one-of-a-kind PSU and front-panel connections, stuff that's right up Dell's alley.
wish they would of went into details about the efficiencies of that PSU

wish they would of went into details about the efficiencies of that PSU
StadiaPS.jpg

That PSU is akin to server style PSU's, just pull it out and pop in a new one in a matter of seconds.
The front panel I/O slides out, he just didn't know how to remove it, you don't have to pull the front panel off. And that design allows different front I/O configurations to just be slotted in without messing with cables.

Reactions: erek
like this
That PSU is akin to server style PSU's, just pull it out and pop in a new one in a matter of seconds.
The front panel I/O slides out, he just didn't know how to remove it, you don't have to pull the front panel off. And that design allows different front I/O configurations to just be slotted in without messing with cables.
Fair enough. Probably not really feasible in the DIY market, though, because either thing constrains the location of the FPIO and the PSU. You couldn't have that in, say, the O11 Dynamic.

like this
Fair enough. Probably not really feasible in the DIY market, though, because either thing constrains the location of the FPIO and the PSU. You couldn't have that in, say, the O11 Dynamic.
Also as an example, lets say something failed on the front I/O panel and required replacement.
Instead of opening up the case and unplugging wires and removing the defective I/O and then fishing those wires back into the case and hooking them like I had to do with my Air 740, you just pull out the I/O card and slot a new one in it's place.
IMG_2005.JPG

like this
Also as an example, lets say something failed on the front I/O panel and required replacement.
Instead of opening up the case and unplugging wires and removing the defective I/O and then fishing those wires back into the case and hooking them like I had to do with my Air 740, you just pull out the I/O card and slot a new one in it's place.
Sure, I get that, but as I said, it can only work by limiting the placement and content of the FPIO.

like this
Back