RARE 3dfx Voodoo2 Quantum3d Obsidian 200SBi Medusa Cable MINT vintage video card

WTF is a medusa cable?

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_mercury_faq.htm
"The regular Quantum3D setup uses a Medusa cable with a 26 pin connector on one end and and two VGA input and output connectors on the other. The simple solution since Medusa cables & connectors are in short supply is to take the floppy cable and solder the appropriate wiring directly to a header backplate with regular VGA I/O sockets mounted and then you can use a regular Voodoo I or II pass through cable! You loose the TV out function (which seems disabled in the Mercury drivers anyway) or if your feeling saucy you can drill a hole below the VGA connectors and mount a RCA or S-video jack and hook the wiring up. "

WTF is a medusa cable?
Ahh, the awkward period where we had a dedicated 2D and 3D graphics cards.

The passthroughs never really worked well, in my experience. I supposed it depended on the person, the quality of the 2d card, and the quality of the display(s). In my case, my 2D signal was absolutely trashed by the passthrough. I hated it so much, I sought out alternative solutions.

My solution was to get a display with multiple inputs and a dedicated input toggle button. Run game, hit button. Exit game, hit button. A minor annoyance, but at least my desktop experience wasn't completely trashed.

Another solution was to use two displays. That also had its pros and cons.

Back