Raptor Lake 2022 October at the latest

Minimum Frame on Raptor Lake rates are way above Alder Lake might pick one one up.

These scores are reportedly from a 12600k engineering sample. 6 P-cores + 8 E-cores. beats 12700k in multithread by ~ 1400 points---which is not a trivial win. And will probably beat it in gaming. Pretty incredible.

1658162457673.png

Not sure how legitimate this is, on the multicore side you have 10980xe 18c-36T performance above an 12700K while on the single thread it is below a 11400F ?

If it achieve above 12700K on multithread despite a massively lower single thread performance (1387 is juste 71% of 1,939) and despite less P-Core, that could be a really good sign on how well it handle/use the E-core or handle heat or something of the sort, because that seem a bit strange, could be an benchmark issue, a engineering chips that do not clock well or boost past a very low level that affect the ST performance a lot but not the MT or me not understanding/reading the numbers correctly.

Not sure how legitimate this is, on the multicore side you have 10980xe 18c-36T performance above an 12700K while on the single thread it is below a 11400F ?

If it achieve above 12700K on multithread despite a massively lower single thread performance (1387 is juste 71% of 1,939) and despite less P-Core, that could be a really good sign on how well it handle/use the E-core or handle heat or something of the sort, because that seem a bit strange, could be an benchmark issue, a engineering chips that do not clock well or boost past a very low level that affect the ST performance a lot but not the MT or me not understanding/reading the numbers correctly.
Its Windows 10, which does not have the thread director for the the Big/Little architecture. Its very possible that during their test run, it incorrectly ran the single thread test on an E-core, instead of a P-core.

Techpowerup tested the e-cores from a 12900k at 1089 points for Cinibench R23 single core. 1387 for Raptor Lake, would be a nice improvement.

Its Windows 10, which does not have the thread director for the the Big/Little architecture. Its very possible that during their test run, it incorrectly ran the single thread test on an E-core, instead of a P-core.
If that the case:
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU-2020/2975

1,347 would be really good, 12900K e-core only scoring 1068 according to the above and could explain why it achieve to beat a 12700k despite having a more e-core heavy setup.

That would mean e-core with 9900K core performance.

Scores for all 3 -K variants showed up on Geekbench. The 13700K (8P + 8E) is 5% faster single core, but 4% slower than the 12900K (8P + 8E). The tests were done using DDR4-3600 memory, though. Interested in seeing scores using DDR5.
Supposed 13700K + DDR5 benchmarks spotted on Geekbench: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/16190485

Single-core is within margin of error of the DDR4 results, but multi-core gets a huge boost. 16,542 on DDR4 to 19,811 on DDR5.

Now I'm very interested in seeing 13900K + DDR5 results.

Intel Raptor Lake to launch on October 17th
According to Enthusiastic Citizen (ECSM_Official) better known for reviews featuring unreleased hardware, Intel has now set a launch date for its new desktop CPU series.
It is said that Intel Raptor Lake processors will launch on October 17th, which is almost 3 weeks after the official introduction during the Innovation event. On this date, Intel will launch its K-series CPUs from 13th Gen Core series “Raptor Lake-S” along with Z790 high-end motherboards.

Is anybody planning to install a 240v circuit for this?
Hah! I've considered it after seeing too many rumors of Nvidia's lax attitude towards the 40 series power consumption, but I'm having a current issue that the largest standard UPSes only go to 900W. Time to give up on power loss protection?

Hah! I've considered it after seeing too many rumors of Nvidia's lax attitude towards the 40 series power consumption, but I'm having a current issue that the largest standard UPSes only go to 900W. Time to give up on power loss protection?
Naw, time to “innovate” and bring back dual psu cases. I remember the days of the 5.25 bay power supplies…

I've got a 9900k right now, clocked at 5.0Ghz on all cores. I game using a 4k 144Hz panel with an RTX 3090. Would Raptor Lake or the new Ryzen 7000 series offer any significant improvement? I've got the upgrade bug really bad, so much so that I'm debating picking up a 12900k now.

I've got a 9900k right now, clocked at 5.0Ghz on all cores. I game using a 4k 144Hz panel with an RTX 3090. Would Raptor Lake or the new Ryzen 7000 series offer any significant improvement? I've got the upgrade bug really bad, so much so that I'm debating picking up a 12900k now.
No point spending $575.00+ on a 12900K when it is about to be made obsolete by the 13700K, which should offer equal performance for less money.

Or, if you're in the $575.00+ market, why not just wait for the 13900K?

scores.png

But the difference between the 12900k and the 13700k is so small does it even make a difference?

Two differences, in fact:
1. Better memory support (if using DDR5)
2. Couple hundred bucks less or, thinking of it differently, couple hundred bucks to go towards another part.
The memory support is great.

But what are the prices? Is the 13700k going to be the same price as the 12900k?

No point spending $575.00+ on a 12900K when it is about to be made obsolete by the 13700K, which should offer equal performance for less money.

Or, if you're in the $575.00+ market, why not just wait for the 13900K?

View attachment 498668
Are the 16 E cores really something to be excited about? Isn't that only for multicore workloads?

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/i...-and-without-power-management-settings,3.html

It looks like based on this R23 Cinebench score that the 13900k scores about the same as a 12900ks for singled threaded performance at 2290? :( With this in mind, would it be better to go with the new AMD series? Or is the IPC gain from AMD's new CPUs speculated to still not even match the 12900k? I'm guessing here, but I can see perhaps Intel having a slight IPC edge late October 2022. But then sometime next year, AMD perhaps taking the crown and still using the same motherboard they released in September '22. Whereas any future Intel releases would require a new motherboard. Curious as to others opinions.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/i...-and-without-power-management-settings,3.html

It looks like based on this R23 Cinebench score that the 13900k scores about the same as a 12900ks for singled threaded performance at 2290? :( With this in mind, would it be better to go with the new AMD series? Or is the IPC gain from AMD's new CPUs speculated to still not even match the 12900k? I'm guessing here, but I can see perhaps Intel having a slight IPC edge late October 2022. But then sometime next year, AMD perhaps taking the crown and still using the same motherboard they released in September '22. Whereas any future Intel releases would require a new motherboard. Curious as to others opinions.
Alder and Raptor are essentially using the same architecture with larger caches on Raptor, so single core scores at the same clocks should be similar, and multicore will be better (also, remember: prerelease hardware is being unofficially tested, use a big salt shaker!). If AMD delivers on their slides, they'll at least match IPC with Alder P-cores, and theoretically the 16-core 7950X could pull ahead of the 8/16 13900k depending on the workload.

You might as well keep saving up your money and wait for everything to be officially released and compared since it's not too far away, now.

The new AMD stuff is just around the corner. Seems like a prime moment to see what both sides bring to the table before making a decision. Pretty sure I'll be making a new scratch build this winter and my plan is to go with whoever has the best product for my use case.

Two differences, in fact:
1. Better memory support (if using DDR5)
2. Couple hundred bucks less or, thinking of it differently, couple hundred bucks to go towards another part.
more cache, as well. So far, seems to equal at least 10% better minimum frames. And in some games that are more cache sensitive, its 20% better.

And that's with QS and ES samples. Final silicon and firmwares could improve it. Intel usually improves latency in the first couple of bios updates, etc.

Last edited:
Looking to pick up a higher end SKU when they drop as a new container host. Looks like ECC will still be supported on the W series chipset.

I don't know if I want it such a marginal upgrade from my 12700K. Meteor Lake might be like 2 years away.
I used to upgrade like every year with the Intel Retail Edge program but I got those at a massive Discount like 40% off sometimes.
The L2 Cache is alot bigger on these chips I noticed not sure if that would affect gaming at all.

I don't know if I want it such a marginal upgrade from my 12700K. Meteor Lake might be like 2 years away.
I used to upgrade like every year with the Intel Retail Edge program but I got those at a massive Discount like 40% off sometimes.
The L2 Cache is alot bigger on these chips I noticed not sure if that would affect gaming at all.
I may sit this generation out. My 12900K is doing quite nicely for now.

Leaked from Intel Canadas website.

View attachment 509728
Its tough to know for sure, because they do not explicitly say it anymore. But....5.4 may be the all core/multi-thread frequency.

5.7 is the turbo for the best core, for a single thread. 5.8 is if the temperature is below whatever threshold Intel has set. For the 11 series, that threshold was really low. with such a hot processor, it was practically a non-feature.

I noticed the nice cache upgrade on the 13900k also looks good although I just don't need 16 e-cores, heck I don't even need 8 liked how the 12700k has 4 e cores that was enough for me I was kind of wishing they would have a 8 pcore 4 ecore option but no they doubled down on ecores wth lol

What if I wait till prices drop on the 12th gen after the 13th gen releases & just go for the 12700k? Is that a reasonable upgrade from a cost/performance standpoint? Or is it a terrible idea and just go for the 13700k instead?

What if I wait till prices drop on the 12th gen after the 13th gen releases & just go for the 12700k? Is that a reasonable upgrade from a cost/performance standpoint? Or is it a terrible idea and just go for the 13700k instead?
I have a feeling 13600k will beat 12700k in basically everything.

I was too cheap to get a 12900k, but I've been waiting for raptor because I want price drops on alder, or get a 13600k or 13700k price depending. I don't see the appeal of more e-cores for the price boosts on the 1x900Ks...

I have a feeling 13600k will beat 12700k in basically everything.
I wonder what the 13 Series e cores are equivalent to in p coreds from previous gens? Like same as 9900k or 10900k p cores ? Cause then the 13600k would make sense lol

I wonder what the 13 Series e cores are equivalent to in p coreds from previous gens? Like same as 9900k or 10900k p cores ? Cause then the 13600k would make sense lol
Ignoring the lack of hyperthreading: They are more/less equivalent to Skylake/7 series.

Are we expecting the 13600K to beat the 12700K in gaming?
Debating whether the 12700F is worth it at $266.

Last edited:
Are we expecting the 13600K to beat the 12700K in gaming?
Debating whether the 12700F is worth it at $266.
I expect 13600k to beat 12700k at everything.

However, it will be about $300 at launch. $266 12700 is a while lot of CPU for the money.

Back