RAM for 2700x and B450 Tomahawk MSI ?

I have several Ryzen systems, and as long as you are on the latest BIOS revision, most RAM compatibility issues have been worked out so long as you don't mind sticking to the XMP profiles (at least up to 3200 speeds, to my experience).

That being said, if you want to overclock the RAM beyond XMP, the Samsung B-Die is still the way to go. It'll cost you an arm and a leg (these tend to be the sticks on NewEgg marked as "Ryzen Compatible"), but it is the OC king on Ryzen boards. Most Samsung B-Die CL16 RAM will run at CL14 with no difficulty whatsoever.

Personally, I use run-of-the-mill CL16 RAM from GSkill and Corsair (none of them Samsung B-Die) at XMP 3000 and 3200 in my systems, and there is no really appreciable difference between them. The GSkill I'm using is specifically marked on NewEgg as for Z170 boards and they are stable for me at their base XMP settings. YMMV, of course.

For the record, my systems are Asus Crosshair VI Hero (x370 chipset with Ryzen 2700x and the Corsair 3200 RAM), Asus Prime X370-A (Ryzen 2700X and Corsair 3000 RAM) and Asus Prime B350-Plus (Ryzen 1700 and GSkill 3000 RAM).

You're right. You probably won't notice the difference between Cas 16 and Cas 14 except in your wallet.

I have some B-die stuff, but the Hynix M-die is practically just as compatible nowadays. Pretty much the 3000 and 3200mhz Cas 16 stuff is M-die.

If I've had any problems at all, they are usually fixed by lowering the speed from 3000mhz to 2933mhz and then it works.

Also, Ryzen memory controllers are not all created equal. My 2700X would run 4 sticks of FlareX Cas 14 at rated timings and 3200mhz. My 2600 wouldn't run basic M-die at anything above 2800mhz (granted in a cheaper board also).

Vendor
Model
RAM Speed
Supported Speed
Chipset
Voltage
Side
Size
1 | 2 | 4 DIMM
HyperX HX433C16PB3K2/32 3333MHz 3333 MHz SK hynix C 1.35v DUAL 16GB √ | √ | √
HyperX HX433C16PB3K2/32(Profile2) 3000MHz 2933 MHz SK hynix C 1.35v DUAL 16GB √ | √ | √
https://www.1a.lv/ru/datoru_kompone...cl16_hyperx_predator_kit_of_2_hx433c16pb3k216
KINGSTON 16GB 3333MHZ DDR4 CL16 HYPERX PREDATOR KIT OF 2 HX433C16PB3K2 / 16
0.511.522.533.544.55( 2 )
Product code: HX433C16PB3K2 / 16
so this mean it wont be clocked to the max unless 32GB is in?
I want to get 16 GB only

I don't really understand the question, but...

Generally, most memory will run at it's rated XMP speed (once you select the XMP profile in the BIOS, of course). You will, again generally, get best results using 2 matched sticks of RAM. Getting higher speed memory operating at full speed XMP can be a bit more difficult with 4 matched sticks (or 2 unmatched sticks).

Your best bet is usually just to get a 2 stick memory kit that adds up to the total RAM that you want, if possible.

2x8GB 3200mhz C14 is preferable. C16 is fine for most people, if the price differential is too high.

/end

Have some of the red gskill 3600 running on a 2600x at 3200 no worries.
Someone here got it to cl14 and tighter subtimings than b die with a moderate oc, enough said. I'm not because this is a workstation.

I have several Ryzen systems, and as long as you are on the latest BIOS revision, most RAM compatibility issues have been worked out so long as you don't mind sticking to the XMP profiles (at least up to 3200 speeds, to my experience).

That being said, if you want to overclock the RAM beyond XMP, the Samsung B-Die is still the way to go. It'll cost you an arm and a leg (these tend to be the sticks on NewEgg marked as "Ryzen Compatible"), but it is the OC king on Ryzen boards. Most Samsung B-Die CL16 RAM will run at CL14 with no difficulty whatsoever.

Personally, I use run-of-the-mill CL16 RAM from GSkill and Corsair (none of them Samsung B-Die) at XMP 3000 and 3200 in my systems, and there is no really appreciable difference between them. The GSkill I'm using is specifically marked on NewEgg as for Z170 boards and they are stable for me at their base XMP settings. YMMV, of course.

For the record, my systems are Asus Crosshair VI Hero (x370 chipset with Ryzen 2700x and the Corsair 3200 RAM), Asus Prime X370-A (Ryzen 2700X and Corsair 3000 RAM) and Asus Prime B350-Plus (Ryzen 1700 and GSkill 3000 RAM).

Have you tried 4 sticks in your Hero build?
Latest chipset drivers and bios have my buddy's gigabyte build at XMP with 64gb.

That's making me consider CH7 + 2700 for a cheapie workstation in the future.

Latest chipset drivers and bios have my buddy's gigabyte build at XMP with 64gb.

I have not tried 4 sticks in the system; just haven't had a need yet for >16G of RAM. I have been well pleased with my Crosshair VI, however. I was a little anxious when I bought it because of how unstable and flaky I had heard it was, but the deal on the [H] FS/FT at $120 shipped was too good to pass up. I haven't really had any problems with it, but I flashed it to the latest firmware available via the push-button and USB flash method before I even put a CPU in it, and it has been problem free after I got everything dialed in.

The very latest BIOS upgrades have all been excellent for this board, with the exception of the 2 that did not have PBO.

I have 4 sticks of 16GB Hynix RAM, working great with the latest version. Put in DOCP and added 0.01v for good measure (running 1.36v)

I have not tried 4 sticks in the system; just haven't had a need yet for >16G of RAM. I have been well pleased with my Crosshair VI, however. I was a little anxious when I bought it because of how unstable and flaky I had heard it was, but the deal on the [H] FS/FT at $120 shipped was too good to pass up. I haven't really had any problems with it, but I flashed it to the latest firmware available via the push-button and USB flash method before I even put a CPU in it, and it has been problem free after I got everything dialed in.

The very latest BIOS upgrades have all been excellent for this board, with the exception of the 2 that did not have PBO.

^ just chimed in with his positive experience using 4 sticks.

I just got a B450 setup off Craigslist bc the $ was too hard to ignore.
All of the friction putting a build together was off putting to me as well.
That seems to have all gone away with current state.

We have seen this before with Phenom, and 8320.
Eventually firmware matured and there was a parts path to follow after the 1st couple gens when the situation stabilized.

I remember a friend of mine that couldn't use all 4 sticks + had to disable a core bc he had a notably bad 890 chipset that stabilized after 990fx. Dude teaches animation in San Jose, and is ironically going thru the same issues Ram with x370 that went away with newest drivers and an x470 swap. Luckily no need to disable cores for stability this time around.

Diff friends used 8320 for VMware lab or Node Dev that were also AMD fans back when we all had Athlon and pencils. We waited past the issues and were all fine.

Tip toeing around parts for a build, or restricting your resources you need daily in your build, is annoying.

Back