ram advice for i5-11400 vr rig

ecologist

n00b
Hi everybody,
I am building a vr rig (quest2) and chose the i5 11400F (£150). I need advice with selecting the right board and ram. I live in UK, can shop at SCAN/Amazon/Ebuyer/.., my cpu+mobo+ram budget is £400. not interested in overclocking/watercooling.

I have a few questions about this platform:

1. ram gear: its my understanding that the i5 will not be able to run ram faster than 2933MHz in gear 1, but in Digital Foundary's review (3min mark)of this i5 they used the msi mortar and were able to run 3600MHz ram in gear 1, which is why I am inclined to buy this board. the gigabyte ram support list mentions downgrading ram to 2933MHz on non-k cpus. so should I buy the msi just for this reason. as I actually prefer the gigabyte board.

2. ram speed: is 3200MHz enough for this i5 or should I buy 3600MHz kit. please suggest 16GB ram kits to go with this i5, I really do not know which kit to pick as I don't know if a 3600MHz 18-22-22-42 kit is better or a 3200MHz 16-20-20-38 or a 3200MHz 18-22-22-42. currently these are the kits I am looking at:
1. corsair-ddr4-vengeance-rgb-pro-black-pc4-25600-3200 (£89)
2. HyperX-Fury-HX432C16FB3K2 (£83)

Digital Foundary's review recommended high speed ram but they were able to run it in gear1 somehow.

cheers everybody!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Same price? flip a coin. If I had to pick one it would probably be crucial, for no particular reason.

I agree. I don't know that you'd notice anything appreciably different between any of those RAM kits, so buy the one that best fits your aesthetic.

thanks for the replies.
1. the hyperx fury is single rank, while the g.skill ripjaws are dual rank, which is better for gaming?

2. some of these kits are described as udimm and others as dimm, which should I get?

Last edited:
1) Dual rank? are you talking about a 2x16 kit? because I'd be surprised if any 8GB sticks were dual rank these days. If you're doing two sticks, a (true) dual rank kit is a little better. (thanks to being able to interleave refresh on the channel.)

2) unbuffered. The ones labeled as dimm are almost certainly unbuffered, and that's ok. It's registered/buffered memory (rdimm) that you need to watch out for. AMD desktop CPU's don't support registered memory and I don't think Intel does either.

1) Dual rank? are you talking about a 2x16 kit? because I'd be surprised if any 8GB sticks were dual rank these days. If you're doing two sticks, a (true) dual rank kit is a little better. (thanks to being able to interleave refresh on the channel.)
they are 2x8 dual rank but timings are 16-16-38

Last edited:
I'm 99% sure that those ripjaws are single rank. They would have to be made from 4 gbit chips to be dual rank, and that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

An 8 GB DDR4 stick is usually constructed from 8 8-gbit chips, each chip 1g x 8 bits. To be dual rank each stick would have to have 16 4-gbit chips and that's hardly cost effective. It's a lot more common to see dual ranked 16GB sticks, although now we're seeing more and more single ranked 16GB sticks using 16gbit chips.

That's a 4 year old post, and I think it's either obsolete or incorrect. Google the part number and you turn up a few references that definitely state that it's single rank; one is a 2018 toms hardware review, and another was a reference in the g.skill forums from 2020.

Back