radiators for oc'd 12900k + 3080ti?

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering the amount of radiators (120mm or 140mm) needed for high overclocks on a 12900k + 3080ti with good temps? I currently have a 420 + 280 rads for the mentioned setup in an evolv x case. Its quite cramped in this case and wanted something bigger that could support more water cooling and a nice big 240/360 EK FLT reservoir pump. I wanted a Lian Li O11 dynamic EVO because of the reverse atx option and ability to put 3x360 rads, but will still be a smallerish case with optimized space for Triple 360 rads which would be more than plenty wouldn't it? The Lian Li V3000+ coming out soon I think will have awesome water cooling potential. It's kind of a nice successor to the 900d I still have sitting in the basement. It will be huge which isn't for everyone, but the space it offers for water cooling to not be cramped should be awesome. I still may consider the O11 EVO.

As hot as today's systems want to run... as much rad as you can reasonably fit is going to be the way to go.

MY2C

Would 2 Ek XE360s be plenty to cool 12900k + 3080 ti both overclocked and good temps?

I was looking at an O11 Evo when it comes out. It seems it can easily fit 3x360s, but that will limit my plans of installing an ek flt 360 d5 res or even the 240 flt.

Would 2 Ek XE360s be plenty to cool 12900k + 3080 ti both overclocked and good temps?

I was looking at an O11 Evo when it comes out. It seems it can easily fit 3x360s, but that will limit my plans of installing an ek flt 360 d5 res or even the 240 flt.
Depends on how much Vcore you are going to throw at it with the overclock. Should be good for a decent OC on both.

I've found the video card only really contributes to the loop saturation when running benchmarks. I've got my 3080ti running at 2080ghz GPU boost and 9900 Mem, never exceeds mid 40c under load.

I've been fiddlin with the Vcore on my 5900 and have the temps down 15-20c by fixing the vcore to 1.3v. I've been able to reduce the fan and pump speed to boot.. PC much quieter and cooler.

Two 360s are perfect. I even added an additional 120 to the rear exhaust just for a bit more. Although I'm running an open case & all exhaust with 200mm fan blowing on entire board.

Two 360s are perfect. I even added an additional 120 to the rear exhaust just for a bit more. Although I'm running an open case & all exhaust with 200mm fan blowing on entire board.
Honestly, that 120mm radiator probably doesn't do anything.

Honestly, that 120mm radiator probably doesn't do anything.
Seriously though, why not? It is not exhausting hot air. All the fans are exhaust & a huge 200 is blowing right on the board. Heck even the air coming off the rads isn't that warm the air actually inside the case is as cold as room temperature. It's doing as much as a 120 is supposed to do right?

Seriously though, why not? It is not exhausting hot air. All the fans are exhaust & a huge 200 is blowing right on the board. Heck even the air coming off the rads isn't that warm the air actually inside the case is as cold as room temperature. It's doing as much as a 120 is supposed to do right?
It would by itself, but the 360's are doing all the work. Usually, a 120 rad like that doesn't justify the flow restrictions or potential leak/failure points it creates. It probably wouldn't change your temperatures at all to remove it.

Well you just proved you don't need it. If everything is close to ambient temperature you will get no benifit from adding the 120. I also though about adding a 120 to the back and another 360 on the side intake but I just couldn't justify the cost when my temps are low as is. I would proabably be doing more harm then good with restricting all the airflow coming into the system having a rad on every fan.

20211108_131433.jpg

This is two 280mm/45mm thick rads. This is more than enough cooling for a system that sees 1000+ full system power load(3090 1000W BIOS/[email protected]).
20211108_131649.jpg

Well you just proved you don't need it. If everything is close to ambient temperature you will get no benifit from adding the 120. I also though about adding a 120 to the back and another 360 on the side intake but I just couldn't justify the cost when my temps are low as is. I would proabably be doing more harm then good with restricting all the airflow coming into the system having a rad on every fan.
Lol you're prolly right xD although It's not the air flow I am worried about because I never intake any air through a rad It's always exhausted there is a separate 200mm fan that blows directly onto the board from the side panel which is modified to be open air then the back/roof/front are exhaust basically an open case but with a huge fan blowing intake lol. I'm more worried about the additional restriction I caused for the EKD5 pump =/

It would by itself, but the 360's are doing all the work. Usually, a 120 rad like that doesn't justify the flow restrictions or potential leak/failure points it creates. It probably wouldn't change your temperatures at all to remove it.
Ya you're right lol. But for my gaming rig it just looks beefy and cool xD Let's see how many years this pump lasts I think it was a hundred bucks? How much are the EKD5s going for now a days?

What's the point of having a tiny mITX case if your going to have a bunch of shit hanging off of it? That has a larger footprint than a tower that could handle a significant amount of larger radiators and the limitations that go with the mini-ITX form factor.

I do not understand this.
I see no reason to integrate the computer and the cooling system.

It's just a lot of work that you lose when you change your system - I enjoy having simple plumbing in the computer and a relatively static cooling system that it attaches to.

This configuration meets all of my requirements and it's sitting on a shelf in the rear of my office where it keeps the system very cool and the fans rarely hit 400 rpm:

1644168643785.png

Last edited:
Back