Radeon RX 6800 XT Hits 2.8GHz Overlock On LN2 To Smash 3D Mark Fire Strike Record

erek

[H]F Junkie
"This picture shows the score of 48,890 marks at a GPU boost clock of a ridiculous 2.8GHz. TecLab_Takukou is clearly out for the throne with AMD hardware, and he may well have it soon. If he can maintain a stable overclock and get a score like that validated, the top spot will be his with ease.

We will have to see if he gets the top spot in the coming days, but evidence of a 2.8GHz overclock with the Radeon RX 6800 XT is absurd no matter what. That is roughly 600MHz above the default boost clock, so the card is being milked for all it is worth, and that is insane. We will keep our eyes peeled on the leaderboard for the next little while, so stay tuned to HotHardware for any overclocking updates."

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-rx-6800-xt-overclocking-2800mhz

I've never understood why people pursue these records under unrealistic real-world conditions.

You clocked the record in a useless canned benchmark? Good for you I guess? I don't care.

Unless it is every day practical and stable it is useless.

I've never understood why people pursue these records under unrealistic real-world conditions.

You clocked the record in a useless canned benchmark? Good for you I guess? I don't care.

Ive been saying this same thing to myself since the days of people bragging with 3Dmark... but whatevs'

These benches are often more demanding then certain compute loads so that clock could be useful for certain applications.

A good example is crypto mining where you could clock the GPU higher then it would have been capable of gaming. Of course this freq would be terrible for someone just trying to start and run any game it is still cool to see the limits of a card under differnt workloads

Those time try to look at parallel scenario for which your understanding of humans give you hindsight.

Do you understand why people make completely unrealistics race car they use only on a track to do 1/4 miles best times or uselessly climb something.

Why does anyone do anything that’s challenging? Why do people have hobbies?

Congrats to Takukou.AMD should consider loaning him a better cpu sample.Several hundred MHz short on the juice.

Canned benchmarks is all they serve in the [H] cafeteria. Which is take-out only now.

I absolutely agree, however, as long as the benches are strictly for the science of seeing how far the silicon can be pushed im ok with seeing the limits when near super conductor status is pushed via extreme cooling. I like it for the science, NOT for the bragging.

Hopefully the overclock improves Ray Tracing performance at 1080p

Reactions: noko
like this

Ive been saying this same thing to myself since the days of people bragging with 3Dmark... but whatevs'
Yeah. Fuck those guys having fun!

Last edited:

Do you ever have anything positive to say? Seems like every topic I see you in, you're shitting on whatever it is. What a way to live..

I find it useful as a reference if I cool my card x degrees cooler I can expect y overclock. Ect. It’s fun to look at.

I just enjoy the comfort of knowing that if I accidentally drop my card into a lake of liquid nitrogen it’ll still work. We still have the lava problem though

In addition to being an achievement on its own, it shows what's possible under the most ideal conditions, not in spite of them being unrealistic, but because they're unrealistic.

[ s ] oftforum is right this direction —>

There is nothing soft about my current build. 2x 480mm radiators with 16x 120mm fans + 1 420mm radiator with 6x 140mm fans.

I just believe there is more value in an actual usable overclock.

To me, using a flimsy LN2 cup to obtain "record" speeds in a canned benchmark, is pretty much pointless, and not as it were, "fun". :p

^ I'm with Zarathustra.

It used to be that we here at the [H] didn't really respect an OC unless there was a screenshot showing 24 hours of Prime95. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be for a GPU - Furmark, maybe? There's a completely different level of insane between "Holy cow I got it to boot" and "Yeah, I can run like this forever." The benchmark numbers are great, but they're not for everyone.

^ I'm with Zarathustra.

It used to be that we here at the [H] didn't really respect an OC unless there was a screenshot showing 24 hours of Prime95. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be for a GPU - Furmark, maybe? There's a completely different level of insane between "Holy cow I got it to boot" and "Yeah, I can run like this forever." The benchmark numbers are great, but they're not for everyone.

Agreed. I think you expressed it better than I did though.

There is nothing soft about my current build. 2x 480mm radiators with 16x 120mm fans + 1 420mm radiator with 6x 140mm fans.

I just believe there is more value in an actual usable overclock.

To me, using a flimsy LN2 cup to obtain "record" speeds in a canned benchmark, is pretty much pointless, and not as it were, "fun". :p

^ I'm with Zarathustra.

Rule number 1.
https://hardforum.com/threads/the-h-ard-forum-rules.760666/

339585_StopLiking.jpg

^ I'm with Zarathustra.

These type of people do not care about long term stability. They are in it for the highest number they can get through whatever benchmark they use.

When overclocked, the Radeon RX 6800 bumps up the power consumption by 20W over stock -- while the RX 6800 XT in RAGE mode uses 20W more, too.

But in the manual OC mode with everything cranked up to maximum, you can get nearly another 100W flowing through the Radeon RX 6800 XT

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/...g-big-navi-oc-fun/index.html#Benchmarks-1080p

For the purposes of the Radeon RX 6800 XT, I cranked up the GPU as hard as it would go -- finding it would sit comfortably 2350-2400MHz or so, depending on the situation. This is the manual OC, while the RAGE mode one-click overclock sees the Radeon RX 6800 XT sitting at around the same GPU clocks (2300-2365MHz) or so.

OC Settings on Radeon RX 6800
Now this is just as much fun, but with no RAGE mode -- the Radeon RX 6800 overclocked.
I was able to smash in 107% max frequency, bringing the GPU to around 2350MHz or so in gaming loads, with the GPU running at 59C and GPU hot spot @ 74C. The fans were at 100% during this testing.

Interestingly, the vanilla 6800 when overclocked consumes less power than the RTX 3080 but still beats it in Shadow of the Tomb Raider !

XFX charges $800 for the factory-overclocked Speedster Merc 319. That’s a staggering $150 over the base $650 price for the Radeon RX 6800 XT, negating AMD’s pricing advantage versus rival RTX 3080 graphics cards. Your money only buys you a few extra frames of performance out of the box, but you’re really paying for the cooler. This gargantuan triple-slot card remains utterly silent in its stock configuration and stays remarkably quiet even if you flip over to the higher-performance “Rage” secondary BIOS. Its hotspot temperatures remain a full 10 degrees chillier than the reference RX 6800 XT design, too, and XFX offers a three-year warranty with the Merc 319.

Simply switching to the Rage BIOS’s higher power and fan limits and running the conservative auto-overclocking tool in AMD’s Radeon Software had this graphics card running at a blistering 2,509MHz in under three minutes with no real effort required whatsoever.

If you flip to XFX’s Rage BIOS and enable AMD’s “Rage mode” tuning preset in Radeon Software, you can increase the card’s power limit by a considerable 25 watts to crank performance higher without voiding your warranty.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3598529/xfx-radeon-rx-6800-xt-merc-319-review.html?page=6

Review by Finnish website io-tech of the ASUS ROG STRIX LC RX 6800 XT mentioned in the title of this post

The Power Limit was increased from 300 watts to a maximum of 345 watts (+ 15%). The standard voltage of the graphics circuit is 1,150 volts.

For the Big Navi 21 graphics chip, the video card overclocked to the maximum allowed by the drivers, i.e. the maximum frequency of 2800 MHz, so that the actual clock frequency in 3D stress at 4k resolution was about 2750 MHz. GDDR6 memories stretched steadily without problems to the maximum of 2150 MHz provided by the drivers, or 17.2 Gbps.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&u=https://www.io-tech.fi/uutinen/uusi-artikkeli-testissa-asus-rog-strix-lc-rx-6800-xt-oc/

asus6800xt-bench-oc2.png

Last edited:
Looking at some of the numbers, it give some sense to the article someone wrote about being pissed off AMD left a lot of HZ on the table instead of using it to clearly go above Nvidia this round.

Very cool (or hot). Records are worth going for. However, don't make a purchase based on this kind of record. Just sayin'.

Looking at some of the numbers, it give some sense to the article someone wrote about being pissed off AMD left a lot of HZ on the table instead of using it to clearly go above Nvidia this round.

Coolers not cheap
& reviewers gonna complain about fan noise

Better this way. Leave a gap between reference 6800 XT @ $650 & reference 6900 XT @ $1000 leaving OEMs to fill the gap between

The 6800 XT is software limited to 2800 mhz (unless you can flash it with 6900 XT bios) to prevent cannibalization of the 6900 XT

Very cool (or hot). Records are worth going for. However, don't make a purchase based on this kind of record. Just sayin'.
You should buy based on how much RAM it has, that means speed right?

Reactions: Wat
like this
Review by Finnish website io-tech of the ASUS ROG STRIX LC RX 6800 XT mentioned in the title of this post

The Power Limit was increased from 300 watts to a maximum of 345 watts (+ 15%). The standard voltage of the graphics circuit is 1,150 volts.

For the Big Navi 21 graphics chip, the video card overclocked to the maximum allowed by the drivers, i.e. the maximum frequency of 2800 MHz, so that the actual clock frequency in 3D stress at 4k resolution was about 2750 MHz. GDDR6 memories stretched steadily without problems to the maximum of 2150 MHz provided by the drivers, or 17.2 Gbps.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&u=https://www.io-tech.fi/uutinen/uusi-artikkeli-testissa-asus-rog-strix-lc-rx-6800-xt-oc/

View attachment 303148

Guru 3d got 2675 Mhz on average on overclock for the same card

We applied the following settings :

• Core Voltage 1150 Mv
  • Power Limiter: +15
  • Clock Max 2700 MHz
  • Mem clock 2150 (=17200 Mbps effective)
  • FAN RPM default
The mem clock is limited to a max of 2150 MHz. Results vary per card, but little did we know that the ASUS STRIX could be pushed this far. We had somewhat mixed results with the XFX and Sapphire cards tested. These reached approximately 2500 MHz stable, 2550 MHz would result clocking down on the turbo frequency in games. However ASUS does manage to impress as we can hit 2700 MHz.

untitled-4.png

untitled-1.png

Thankfully, not everyone thinks like you guys. Otherwise, life would be distinctly boring. :)

^ I'm with Zarathustra.

Agreed. I think you expressed it better than I did though.

So, what, now we do things only if it is for everyone? :D So I should only run and train if it is for everyone? Naw, I will enjoy it and you do not have too, that is cool. :)

Back