Radeon 6000 series speculation

I'm hoping that both new consoles running RDNA2 helps with proper support this time around.
That’s what I’ve been thinking. Obviously the software is different but they need to have a better handle on it this time around.

Both consoles ran GCN this generation. How did it help the GCN cards?
How does it not? If both were Nvidia GPU's in the PS4 and Xbox X, how would that made it better for AMD for drivers, game support etc.? I've seen a number of console games coming to the PC that worked great with AMD. I see this same mundane question over and over again with zero facts. In any case, who cares? I don't. I care for what games I am and will be playing, AMD has been pretty good, so has Nvidia.

Last edited:
How did it not? If both were Nvidia GPU's in the PS4 and Xbox X, how would that made it better for AMD for drivers, game support etc.? I've seen a number of console games coming to the PC that worked great with AMD. I see this same mundane question over and over again with zero facts. In any case, who cares? I don't. I care for what games I am and will be playing, AMD has been pretty good, so has Nvidia.
How did it then? Just because a console game worked great on an AMD GPU is not evidence that the same architectures did anything to improve the performance on AMD’s cards. They most likely ran great on Nvidia’s cards as well which is a completely different architecture. Were there any console ports from this generation that ran poorly on Nvidia compared to AMD’s GCN cards?

I see the same statement that being on the same architecture will help with zero evidence to back it up. So I will continue asking for evidence of it helping in the past when I see the same statement repeated. And I’m happy for you that you don’t care, but I enjoy discussion instead of trying to shut it down. If there is evidence I’d love to read about it.

How did it then? Just because a console game worked great on an AMD GPU is not evidence that the same architectures did anything to improve the performance on AMD’s cards. They most likely ran great on Nvidia’s cards as well which is a completely different architecture. Were there any console ports from this generation that ran poorly on Nvidia compared to AMD’s GCN cards?

I see the same statement that being on the same architecture will help with zero evidence to back it up. So I will continue asking for evidence of it helping in the past when I see the same statement repeated. And I’m happy for you that you don’t care, but I enjoy discussion instead of trying to shut it down. If there is evidence I’d love to read about it.
How would you prove it one way or another? Logically having developers working on a platform that you design which is shared with the PC hardware should allow better support. What kind of proof you want? Alternate reality where we can look to see how things would have turned out if Nvidia owned the consoles? The question itself is ludicrous and you can't prove anything with it.

How would you prove it one way or another? Logically having developers working on a platform that you design which is shared with the PC hardware should allow better support. What kind of proof you want? Alternate reality where we can look to see how things would have turned out if Nvidia owned the consoles? The question itself is ludicrous and you can't prove anything with it.
Then why make a claim that the same architecture will help with performance if it can’t be proved? Why challenge me and ask for proof when the burden of proof lies on those who are making the initial claim?

Then why make a claim that the same architecture will help with performance if it can’t be proved? Why challenge me and ask for proof when the burden of proof lies on those who are making the initial claim?
What proof would you need? The question is not exactly provable, people will just accept for the most part what they want to believe. Let see, Nvidia owns both consoles => AMD would not be making money on those GPU's going to those consoles => Damn, that probably not help AMD. So selling hardware, GPU's gives them money => helpful => more money for R&D to make better products => helpful. Wait, Sony and Microsoft are partners and with a lot of talent working with AMD, holy $hit, maybe that would help them too. What design improvements did Sony and even Microsoft helped AMD with? Sony indicated they did help AMD with designs/improvements. Obviously you don't see how developers developing with GCN and now RNDA2 will not help AMD with RNDA2 cards on the PC => Really? Now all of this is something you cannot prove, only infer and that is the best you can get. In the end, a very stupid question from my point of view. The answer would be it can help AMD and looks likely to help them make better GPUs with better developer support. So the 6000 series with broad support on consoles should (no one knows for sure) have some fine well optimize games for it.

It is litterally impossible to prove. Did it hurt GCN that it was in the consoles? No bloddy way. I think this contributed to GCN's great legs. If it was only for the PC space where AMD was languishing, GCN would not have been optimised for much. But with many games having console first software designs GCN stayed relevant.
In this gen we have a special feature. RT. The consoles will be using AMD RT design as well as any yet known GFX tricks. This will definitely help AMD in getting specialized support for their hardware.

What proof would you need? The question is not exactly provable, people will just accept for the most part what they want to believe. Let see, Nvidia owns both consoles => AMD would not be making money on those GPU's going to those consoles => Damn, that probably not help AMD. So selling hardware, GPU's gives them money => helpful => more money for R&D to make better products => helpful. Wait, Sony and Microsoft are partners and with a lot of talent working with AMD, holy $hit, maybe that would help them too. What design improvements did Sony and even Microsoft helped AMD with? Sony indicated they did help AMD with designs/improvements. Obviously you don't see how developers developing with GCN and now RNDA2 will not help AMD with RNDA2 cards on the PC => Really? Now all of this is something you cannot prove, only infer and that is the best you can get. In the end, a very stupid question from my point of view. The answer would be it can help AMD and looks likely to help them make better GPUs with better developer support. So the 6000 series with broad support on consoles should (no one knows for sure) have some fine well optimize games for it.
It is litterally impossible to prove. Did it hurt GCN that it was in the consoles? No bloddy way. I think this contributed to GCN's great legs. If it was only for the PC space where AMD was languishing, GCN would not have been optimised for much. But with many games having console first software designs GCN stayed relevant.
In this gen we have a special feature. RT. The consoles will be using AMD RT design as well as any yet known GFX tricks. This will definitely help AMD in getting specialized support for their hardware.
I find it very entertaining that both of you are telling me it’s impossible to prove that it doesn’t help and are telling me it’s a stupid question. But then completely disregard the initial claims that it does help which also cannot be proven. But hey, fuck me for challenging unsupported claims right?

I find it very entertaining that both of you are telling me it’s impossible to prove that it doesn’t help and are telling me it’s a stupid question. But then completely disregard the initial claims that it does help which also cannot be proven. But hey, fuck me for challenging unsupported claims right?
I would say most will seem it utterly ridicule's that winning design after design for a huge gaming segment is not helpful to a company, it would be accepted. Getting a profit in selling consoles etc. so you have more R&D for GPU's including PC's, APU's would also be helpful. Proof definition is - the cogency of evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or a fact. One could argue profit margins with the effort would hurt AMD which they could make more money like Nvidia did by leaving consoles for awhile and investing effort/time/money elsewhere like AI. One could argue AMD could have been helped further by getting into AI before Nvidia. Once again it can only be inferred that it did help and I believe long term it has, you can believe what ever you want. Does not matter for most, most want better performance at the best price, it works and one can GET ONE :D.

Sorry, will get back to performance speculation.

What I am interested in is how the cache will help at lower resolutions with the much lower latency, my thought is that it will help more at the lower resolutions then at higher resolution where shader limitations become more prevalent. Maybe not, just a lot to see how this works out.

Do you think they will give us info on all the new cards, or just the highest end couple.
I am most interested in the bottom of the 3 (or is it 4 or 5)?
Hoping to learn power consumption tdp numbers, and how long and wide the lower card is

Do you think they will give us info on all the new cards, or just the highest end couple.
I am most interested in the bottom of the 3 (or is it 4 or 5)?
Hoping to learn power consumption tdp numbers, and how long and wide the lower card is
More than 1, but less than 1000. And you can take that to the bank.

IF the 6800XT beats the 3080, if even by a slim margin, and if AMD prices it at $599ish, and there is good stock availability, AMD might recapture some market share and mindshare.

If it is slower than the 3080, or priced too highly, or we have another scalpgate situation with the 6800XT well... AMD will have wasted a golden opportunity. Oh and their drivers need to work on launch. If we have another launch day driver fiasco with AMD people will continue to lose trust despite any hardware performance gains the red team may have made.

Basically a lot of dominoes need to fall into place. I'd like to see the full announcement and benchmarks tomorrow.

If the numbers shown beating the 3080 are actually from the 6900XT the question becomes, how much does that cost, and how does it compare to the 3090?

I've been waiting to buy a 3080 for a month. If I can actually buy AMDs card and it actually performs then I'll buy it. If I can actually buy it.

TOTAL ANARCHY!
lol

1. If AMD releases a superior product, it doesn't matter when Nvidia has stock, AIBs will have a hard time turning a profit. $699 is already slim, but Nvidia will need a price drop. Will AIBs revolt?
2. Buyer remorse from early Nvidia adopters. Mindshare eroded.
3. Will AMD match Nvidia in price or exceed it? They can raise the price, there are no Nv cards on the shelves. Will AMD fans revolt?
4. If Nvidia falters this gen long term, it opens up room for Intel.
5. If AMD comes up short or their stock runs out quickly at launch, we all are still waiting for weeks to for the card we want.

Bad news all around.

Last edited:
Its 12:02 eastern... all I hear is the chirps of crickets.
Kinda late in the year for crickets no? All I hear is scratching mouse infestation in my brain asking me, "WHEN CAN I A PAIR A REASONABLY PRICED CARD WITH A REASONABLY PRICED HIGH REFRESH RATE 4K MONITOR?"

They are releasing the NDA at noon?
The event is live at 12pm eastern today. I’m really looking forward to this.

We know how the 3070 performs at $499 and the 3080 at $699.

If they post real numbers and not some super cherry picked shit and the pricing is good I’ll buy it ASAP.

I want a 6800 XT with 72CU (36WGP) & 16GB GDDR6 @ 16Gbps, and I want it for US$549.00; oh, and some rock solid Linux drivers would be great, thanks...! ;^p

Last minute fun. Think they will throw out a surprise card at the end? Just for fun, take a long shot.

6950 XTX Duo. 2 chips one card, joined by infinite fabric, large sharable cache, only card with HBM2. 400watt AMD exclusive, available January 2021, $1499. Just for fun now.
Really though, hope they have something big at the end. Haven't been excited for AMD like this in a while, here's hoping they knock it out of the park today.

Last minute fun. Think they will throw out a surprise card at the end? Just for fun, take a long shot.

6950 XTX Duo. 2 chips one card, joined by infinite fabric, large sharable cache, only card with HBM2. 400watt AMD exclusive, available January 2021, $1499. Just for fun now.
Really though, hope they have something big at the end. Haven't been excited for AMD like this in a while, here's hoping they knock it out of the park today.
That would be crazy cool. I don't think we'll see something like that just yet. But I bet we will see a chiplet design by next Summer.

All that said, Nvidia seems to be in panic mode. And I don't think its just because of supply issues. I think they didn't actually know the performance AMD was achieving, until a few days ago. And now they are scrambling to generate new SKU's.

That would be crazy cool. I don't think we'll see something like that just yet. But I bet we will see a chiplet design by next Summer.

All that said, Nvidia seems to be in panic mode. And I don't think its just because of supply issues. I think they didn't actually know the performance AMD was achieving, until a few days ago. And now they are scrambling to generate new SKU's.

Too bad they didn't scramble when they generated the prices.

I want a 6800 XT with 72CU (36WGP) & 16GB GDDR6 @ 16Gbps, and I want it for US$549.00; oh, and some rock solid Linux drivers would be great, thanks...! ;^p
$549.99 take my money right now. I’d gladly hand it over at that price but highly doubt it’s gonna happen. We’ll see shortly tho.

I think they’ll announce a big ass card today to kick nvidia in the balls. If the leaked benchmarks are true it would be stupid of them not to underprice nvidia on this to make them look bad.

Back