Radeon 6000 series speculation

these Big Navi cards are legit...at 1440p the 6800 beats a 3070 by a pretty big margin and the 6800XT comes close enough or beats the 3080 and is closer to 3090 performance...the 16GB VRAM also is much better in the long term...the 6900XT numbers must be insane...no wonder Nvidia is panicking and releasing all these new variants in December/January...anyone who bought a current Ampere card must be kicking themselves...the real next gen battle is between Big Navi vs 3070 Ti and 3080 Ti (or whatever Nvidia Super variants come out in the future)

Last edited:
I'd do this if I were 15, I'm fucking old man I can't sit in line for a video card, more power to this dude, he's probably older than me and he's camping out. I can however, have a notification sent to my phone and slam the buy now button haha (got a 5800x today).

Didn't followed the saga closely, but how do we know that ? There was quite the line after that guy in is other video.

They had 12 cards but luckily they had a last one that he got. What does the line behind have to do with the campers? Do you expect them to have cards for everyone in line?

They had 12 cards but luckily they had a last one that he got. What does the line behind have to do with the campers? Do you expect them to have cards for everyone in line?
Thus my surprise to the statement everyone in line got a card.

But how do we know how many campers there was and if they all got one, like you said there was campers, 12 first one got card he was the 13th and he got one.... does the 14th campers got one, was there only 13 campers ?

Thus my surprise to the statement everyone in line got a card.

But how do we know how many campers there was and if they all got one, like you said there was campers, 12 first one got card he was the 13th and he got one.... does the 14th campers got one, was there only 13 campers ?

Does it really matter?

the Hardware Canucks review mentioned loud noise levels at load but I haven't seen any other reviews talk about it...if I didn't have a G-Sync monitor and didn't care about ray tracing I would choose the 6800XT without a second thought

the Hardware Canucks review mentioned loud noise levels at load but I haven't seen any other reviews talk about it...if I didn't have a G-Sync monitor and didn't care about ray tracing I would choose the 6800XT without a second thought
That’s like saying if my grandma had testicles she would be my grandpa.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
You know I was watching some of the reviews and I have to say whilst the performance on the 6800 range looks good, I am being swayed by the extra non-gaming features the 3000 series has. Longterm they could be more useful to me. Comparing the two, the 3000 series does seem a more complete and polished product. I haven't bought an Nvidia card since 2006 iirc. Just have to wait till the new year and see what's available to buy.

I though it was interesting to see the beta drivers for Dirt 5 with The FPS Review - curious if that one is a bit more optimized for what AMD is using (and the cache?) that is making it that much faster than the 3080? And if future driver updates might... improve things for other games...

I though it was interesting to see the beta drivers for Dirt 5 with The FPS Review - curious if that one is a bit more optimized for what AMD is using (and the cache?) that is making it that much faster than the 3080? And if future driver updates might... improve things for other games...
AC: Valhalla also performs exceptionally well on RDNA2. Check out hardware unboxed video review of the 6800xt.

BF5 seems to favor RDNA2
and according to AMD's benchmarks page, so does Forza.

I have been in this industry for about 25 years and have hundreds of industry contacts that I still talk to. Guys talk, you hear things. :)

Well I look at what NVIDIA revenue guidance shows and that says something different:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/43...g-on-q3-2021-results-earnings-call-transcript
Starting with gaming. Revenue was a record $2.27 billion, up 37% year-on-year, up 37% sequentially, and ahead of our high expectations. Driving strong growth was our new NVIDIA Ampere architecture-based GeForce RTX 30 series of gaming GPUs.

While we had anticipated strong demand, it exceeded even our bullish expectations. Given industry-wide capacity constraints and long cycle times, it may take a few more months for product availability to catch up with demand.
JH: And meanwhile, we’ve also expected a very, very successful launch with Ampere. And even with our bullish demand expectation and all of the Amperes that we built, which is one of the fastest ramps ever, the demand is still overwhelming.
Our growth is -- in the near term is more affected by the cycle time of manufacturing and flexibility of supply. We are in a good shape to -- and all of our supply is -- informs our guidance. But, we would appreciate shorter cycle times; we would appreciate more agile supply chains. But, the world is constrained at the moment. And so, we just have to make the best of it. But, even in that condition - even in that condition, we’ve -- all of that is building for our guidance, and we expect to grow.

NVIDIA has also claimed to have sold more Ampere cards vs Turing in the same timeframe. Their gaming revenue being up 37% suggests they have a high sell through rate and are supply constrained just like others are in the market. Let’s see if AMD “backloading” the channel really happens in the next few weeks or it becomes like Ryzen where inventory for 5900/5950x is scarce at best. We all know Frank Azor is eating his own words right now based on similar promises.

Last edited:
Well I look at what NVIDIA revenue guidance shows and that says something different:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/43...g-on-q3-2021-results-earnings-call-transcript

NVIDIA has also claimed to have sold more Ampere cards vs Turing in the same timeframe. Their gaming revenue being up 37% suggests they have a high sell through rate and are supply constrained just like others are in the market. Let’s see if AMD “backloading” the channel really happens in the next few weeks or it becomes like Ryzen where inventory for 5900/5959x is scarce at best. We all know Frank Azor is eating his own words right now based on similar promises.
You can rely on the information you want. I have a pretty good handle on what numbers are sold in North America.

I saw that "gaming" number as high as it was and it made me think about that assuredly. I know NVIDIA did not sell those ASICs/cards to DIY computer gamers etc. So where did ASICs get sold? I get one half of that data, and it does not agree with the figure that is on the earnings report. The issue is that NVIDIA does not give us a breakdown of what "gaming" is. There are two things that come to mind instantly and I am sure there are more. Gaming GPUs to miners. Gaming GPUs to cloud gaming infrastructure. But what I do damn well know is that the ASICs have NOT flowed into the global retail channels through its AIBs. That I am 100% on.

So you say it shows you something "different." I would suggest you don't know what one big Q number actually represents, and if you ask NVIDIA they will not tell you what that number represents.

Edited for clarity....

Well my microcenter got another shipment of 6800XTs today so. I know this for a fact ask me how.

Hmmm that's great news. I just read your reply in the other thread about them "finding" the XTs. Idk what that means, how they missed such a hot ticket item on launch day, leaving some XTs in the shipping boxes?? Or they got a second shipment this week already, which would be great news. If the latter, I'll definitely go to my MC a couple hours before opening then today

could also be unopened returns too

Hmmm that's great news. I just read your reply in the other thread about them "finding" the XTs. Idk what that means, how they missed such a hot ticket item on launch day, leaving some XTs in the shipping boxes?? Or they got a second shipment this week already, which would be great news. If the latter, I'll definitely go to my MC a couple hours before opening then today

could also be unopened returns too
Honestly didn't know either. They let us into the store and then told us all they had was gigabyte 3080s and 3090s. Then all of a sudden they said the found a Asus 3090 TUF and some 6800XTs. My guess is they were still unpacking the crates.

All I'm excited about is the next gen release of these GPU. The battle is on and I can't wait!

All I'm excited about is the next gen release of these GPU. The battle is on and I can't wait!
It is very much on. Glad the next gen of GPUs is so competitive. We are back in a time where both CPUs and GPUs are competitive from all sides.

It's a great time to be a PC enthusiast.

Honestly didn't know either. They let us into the store and then told us all they had was gigabyte 3080s and 3090s. Then all of a sudden they said the found a Asus 3090 TUF and some 6800XTs. My guess is they were still unpacking the crates.
I'll see if I can go to my local one this morning, and will also ask if they got one shipment or two already this week for the Radeons, and report back (if I end up going)

It is very much on. Glad the next gen of GPUs is so competitive. We are back in a time where both CPUs and GPUs are competitive from all sides.

It's a great time to be a PC enthusiast.
Ah, you're right, I didn't even think about the CPU battle that's also going on. Man, more choices, better tech, awesome time indeed.

Edit: not for our wallets as I just upgraded and don't feel like I should be upgrading every year, lol

I was watching the tech jesus review, it had just started and Steve's like these fans are gonna cause problems and shit. He proceeds to push down onto the blades to make them hit the heatsink fins to show this.

I'm like hey zeus wtf stop pushing on the fan blades like that you idiot. You're creating imbalance and causing the problem. /smh

I then proceeded to skip that vid and watched the Level1techs instead.

Superresolution is a stop-gap. Not AMD's true answer to DLSS. Guess I am laughing WITH you.
We'll see.

Superresolution is based on DirectML. The "ML" stands for "Machine Learning". Basically, AMD is working with Microsoft on the tech. And MS is reprotedly using their Azure cloud to train the AI. And the results will be ported to DirectML. Much like DLSS.

The potential difference is that DLSS right now, requires training for each game, specifically. The devs send Nvidia high res/high quality images and whatnot of their game. And then Nvidia trains their AI system on that, specifically. Then the results are ported specifically, to that game.

Superresolution is reported to be a more general, broad application. So it sounds like they will train an AI algorithm which works pretty well for many things, port it to DirectML, and then allow us to apply that to maybe any game? or at least offer it as a general feature, to game devs. And there is still the opportunity for them to do it very similar to DLSS. I mean to train for a specific game and then have a game specific implementation of Superresolution/DirectML. And I would actually bet on MS doing exactly that, for their exclusives.

I was watching the tech jesus review, it had just started and Steve's like these fans are gonna cause problems and shit. He proceeds to push down onto the blades to make them hit the heatsink fins to show this.

I'm like hey zeus wtf stop pushing on the fan blades like that you idiot. You're creating imbalance and causing the problem. /smh

I then proceeded to skip that vid and watched the Level1techs instead.
Seems like most reviews are impressed with the cooling. That's weird.

Seems like most reviews are impressed with the cooling. That's weird.
He said it was adequate but outdated. It's just a fin stack on a vapor chamber. He ragged the most on the backplate and baseplate.
Obviously better than the total garbage Nvidia is putting out on the FE, of course.

He said it was adequate but outdated. It's just a fin stack on a vapor chamber.
Yeah well, the results are low temps so, sometimes the old stuff is still good!?

It also uses a graphite pad instead of thermal grease. Which is usually worse for temps. But the results are still good.

AMD has superresolution right now in the driver as an option. It's not DirectML based YET.
No, they do not have it in the driver right now. They announced it at the Big Navi reveal event and said that they are working on it.

Well gee i guess I'm imagining the radio button clearly marked "super resolution" in my AMD driver. And guess what - when I enable it - I can select a resolution higher than native. Do you even have an AMD card?
That's Virtual Super Resolution.

I posted about this recently and was critical of AMD's naming scheme and the general trend of everyone naming everything so similarly. It is very confusing.

AMD's VSR is analogous to Nvidia's DSR.

Basically, you can render the game internally at a resolution higher than your monitor supports and then downscale to your monitor's native resolution. Effectively giving you some extra detail and less aliasing. But, it is more difficult for your GPU, as it is rendering internally at that higher resolution.

AMD's upcoming "Super Resolution" feature, which will be based in DirectML, and Nvidia's DLSS, are currently meant for upscaling. The idea being that you can render the game internally at a lower resolution (easier for your GPU) and then an advanced upscaling method will resize to a larger resolution, with less apparent quality loss than typical upscaling methods in your monitor's hardware or from your GPU's conventional scalers.
In the case of DLSS, the upscaling method is based on training done with an AI supercomputer model. Presumably, AMD's Super Resolution will also be based on AI training (maybe even on Microsoft's Azure Cloud).

I posted about this recently and was critical of AMD's naming scheme and the general trend of everyone naming everything so similarly. It is very confusing.

Basically, you can render the game internally at a resolution higher than your monitor supports and then downscale to your monitor's native resolution. Effectively giving you some extra detail and less aliasing. But, it is more difficult for your GPU, as it is rendering internally at that higher resolution.

AMD's upcoming "Super Resolution" feature, which will be based in DirectML, and Nvidia's DLSS, are currently meant for upscaling. The idea being that you can render the game internally at a lower resolution (easier for your GPU) and then an advanced upscaling method will resize to a larger resolution, with less apparent quality loss than typical upscaling methods in your monitor's hardware or from your GPU's conventional scalers.
In the case of DLSS, the upscaling method is based on training done with an AI supercomputer model. Presumably, AMD's Super Resolution will also be based on AI training (maybe even on Microsoft's Azure Cloud).
Thanks for clarifying.

yeah they are kinda the opposite of each other. take a bigger image, make it smaller or take a smaller image and make it bigger.

Back