Radeon 6000 series: Disappointing Pricing??

How do you feel about AMD 6000 series announced Launch prices?

• Too high!

Votes: 41 14.4%
  • Just right!

Votes: 159 56.0%
  • They came in cheaper than I expected!

Votes: 50 17.6%
  • Mixed feelings/Confused.

Votes: 34 12.0%

• Total voters
so apparently the huge pricing increase for aib cards over msrvp is amds fault.
Hardware Unboxed has just put up a harsh, but I would say fair, criticism of the ridiculous AIB premiums being charged for 6000's. They place the blame squarely on AMD, calling them anti-consumer. The $750-$800 prices for 6800 AIBs is the msrp, not retailers jacking it up.

Reactions: noko
like this
Welp I'm done, I'm not gonna pay a premium for one of those cards. If I can't get a reference card next in a few months I'll just make due. Fuck that noise.

Hardware Unboxed has just put up a harsh, but I would say fair, criticism of the ridiculous AIB premiums being charged for 6000's. They place the blame squarely on AMD, calling them anti-consumer. The $750-$800 prices for 6800 AIBs is the msrp, not retailers jacking it up.

So AMD is following Nvidia lead giving a false front for MSRP, make a limited MSRP run and let the AIB charge the real price so to speak. Due to supply restraints, all the parts making up cards are probably higher than previously making the AIB profit margins at MSRP not sustainable, at least that is what I got from video, similar to Nvidia. Nvidia selling GPU's to mining companies for custom mining cards is a double whammy. The Red Devil card is impressive except this maybe a hand chosen example for review and buyers may get somewhat less performance. Still 15% over reference when OC is very impressive at least on game tested. What are the 6900 XT AIBs going to cost if they become available?

So AMD is following Nvidia lead giving a false front for MSRP, make a limited MSRP run and let the AIB charge the real price so to speak. Due to supply restraints, all the parts making up cards are probably higher than previously making the AIB profit margins at MSRP not sustainable, at least that is what I got from video, similar to Nvidia. Nvidia selling GPU's to mining companies for custom mining cards is a double whammy. The Red Devil card is impressive except this maybe a hand chosen example for review and buyers may get somewhat less performance. Still 15% over reference when OC is very impressive at least on game tested. What are the 6900 XT AIBs going to cost if they become available?
Well if the 6900 xt reference is slated at 999 that means we can expect AIB's to be 1200-1250 if they follow the same pattern as the 6800 xt.

Well if the 6900 xt reference is slated at 999 that means we can expect AIB's to be 1200-1250 if they follow the same pattern as the 6800 xt.
I will just look at if what ever price is being asked is worth the actual price being asked for. MSRP on GPU's are meaningless at this time, misleading. The good deal or maybe the best deal is the reference cards both from AMD and Nvidia. In AMD's case, seeing 2700mhz OC on the RedDevil 6800 XT, makes me wonder if AMD is limiting the reference 6800 XT on purpose. I will probably try (with not too much effort) to see if I can get a 6900 XT.

MSRP for AMD reference...plus $50-$60 for AIB would have been acceptable.
The sheer nonsense we are seeing now is outrageous.
I won't support that s#*t...not today...not any day.
I'll stop gaming before I would do that.
I like to build cars....I'll spend my money there instead.

I gave up on AMD after the R9 290 in 2015. I used to be ALL AMD. Nothing but issues.
Never going back.

So, why post about it?
Just thought it was relevant because I used to really like AMD and feel like they've gone backwards even though they're competitive now. I thought that's what this post was all about? A complaint on AMD?

Just thought it was relevant because I used to really like AMD and feel like they've gone backwards even though they're competitive now. I thought that's what this post was all about? A complaint on AMD?
It's about launch prices not your experience from 7 years ago. You know because things never change.

having seen the full RT numbers, and the rest of the feature set, i think they are probably priced a little bit too high. But i love visual fidelity, so i could see how someone else would think differently on that issue.

Back