R9 5950x and RTX 3080 - Is my loop too small? Too little radiator? Too little pump?

Pumps should also run max speed.
No need to run pumps at max speed. At some point the gains become minimal and noise + wear on the pumps is not worth it. He isn't running a single d5, but dual pumps that have higher head pressure than a d5 so he doesn't need to run full speed to get good cooling. Most blocks have minor gain between 0.5gpm and 1gpm and very low gain above 1gpm.

This is a re-post from my thread asking for help picking out new fans. 13 fans in the front:

View attachment 469357

But wait, there's more....

View attachment 469358

Two on the back of the 240 rad in the back.

The bottom of the case has 3 Arctic P12 intakes, properly installed this time. The XSPC TX240 in the front has 2 Arctic P12 push fans. The Corsair R7 240 has 2 Phanteks T30 push fans and 2 Arctic P12 pull fans. The Corsair R7 360 has 3 Arctic P12 push fans and 3 Phanteks T30 pull fans.

I'm pleased with the cooling and sound profile. I set the max fan speed for all fans to 1500 rpm in aquasuite. Here's my fan curve, it maxes the fans at 11 degrees water temp to ambient air temp delta:

View attachment 469368

I ran P95 and Heaven together and let it go for 30 minutes. Water-air delta maxed out at 9.6 degrees Celsius. Fan speed maxed at 1450 rpm which was perfectly acceptable sound-wise, much better than the LL120s that were replaced. GPU maxed at 54 degrees and cpu (Tctl/Tdie) maxed at at 68.1 degrees. That was with an ambient of 22 degrees C, so GPU 32 over ambient and cpu 46 over ambient. Now, I'm sure when I run MS Flight Simulator, it will get hotter and a little louder, but I haven't done it yet. I may up my pump speed. It barely got to one gallon per minute under the test I did.
Nice cooling improvements over your old setup. Those are some significant gains over what you used to have with regards to water-air delta and more pleasant sound profile is always nice as well :)

No need to run pumps at max speed. At some point the gains become minimal and noise + wear on the pumps is not worth it. He isn't running a single d5, but dual pumps that have higher head pressure than a d5 so he doesn't need to run full speed to get good cooling. Most blocks have minor gain between 0.5gpm and 1gpm and very low gain above 1gpm.

Didn't see the dual pump.
Also, pumps don't really "wear out" unless they are cavitating or have crap bearings. Motor windings burn up for various reasons, but in VDC, it's generally from an overcurrent situation resulting from runaway. Highly unlikely to happen in this situation. See series wound DC motor for more info.
How many miles does the water pump on your car have? I bet it's a bunch.
Head pressure and flow rate are different things. I don't need my loop to shoot a 4' stream out the end of res. I need it to flow a consistent and "high" GPM.
My Corsair D5pwm pump makes the same noise as measured with a calibrated instrument at 30% or 100%, when measured over full system noise.
I'm also very drunk so hopefully this makes sense. Post post disclaimer.

Didn't see the dual pump.
Also, pumps don't really "wear out" unless they are cavitating or have crap bearings. Motor windings burn up for various reasons, but in VDC, it's generally from an overcurrent situation resulting from runaway. Highly unlikely to happen in this situation. See series wound DC motor for more info.
How many miles does the water pump on your car have? I bet it's a bunch.
Head pressure and flow rate are different things. I don't need my loop to shoot a 4' stream out the end of res. I need it to flow a consistent and "high" GPM.
My Corsair D5pwm pump makes the same noise as measured with a calibrated instrument at 30% or 100%, when measured over full system noise.
I'm also very drunk so hopefully this makes sense. Post post disclaimer.
Specified flow rate of the pump is quite meaningless as it will drop due to resistance in the loop so in most loops the head pressure is actually more important. In most loops it is the head pressure that will be the determining factor when it comes to flow rate as the loops restriction will limit how much flow the pump is capable of. E.g. a d5 is on paper capable of around 1500l/h but put it in a medium restriction loop and it will max out at somewhere between 220 and 270 l/h and in a high restriction loop it will not even reach 200 l/h. A DDC pump will have higher flow rate in a high restriction loop as it is capable of creating more headpressure and therefore pushes more water through the system when the resistance gets high despite having a lower theoretical flowrate.

If your system is so noisy that you can't hear a d5 pump then good for you. Mine is at around 30.5dbA at full load measured at 20cm from the case with a proper db- meter and running pumps at 100% gives me about .5 dbA higher and it is a lot higher pitched noise. It is probably comparable in noise to you running LL fans at 800rpm or so. Difference between running almost silent pump speeds compared to 100% is around 0.3 degrees difference on the CPU and my GPU loop doesn't benefit that much either by running 100% so not worth it for my setup.

In his system the pumps are powerful enough that he probably has more flow at 60% than you have at 100% pump speed (my guess is you top out at 0.8gpm or around 180l/h).

I'm putting together a system. The pump is a d5 PWM. When I just hook it up to power, does it run at full speed?

If so, it is practically silent, as in I have to put my head right next to it to hear it. I don't have anything else running except the old AT power supply powering the pump.

I'm putting together a system. The pump is a d5 PWM. When I just hook it up to power, does it run at full speed?

If so, it is practically silent, as in I have to put my head right next to it to hear it. I don't have anything else running except the old AT power supply powering the pump.

Mayb3, dep3nds how your mobo has the pump header set. Mine defaulted to 100% all the time. My d5 is dead silent as well.

Back