R9 290 in Crossfire - First Review In!

Argh, making me want to sell off the 780s more and more ><

at this point, after shipping costs etc... it's not worth it. I'd wager you wouldnt get more than $400 for a 780 these days. I would say just enjoy the 780's and wait till maxwell. I know thats what I will be doing

at this point, after shipping costs etc... it's not worth it.
Yea this is true. If you already own a 780 just OC it a bit and keep your wallet closed until Maxwell or the next GCN refresh next year.

Its if you own a current mid range GPU or top end last gen GPU and you're looking to upgrade that the 290 makes sense.

Rule reminder;

(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.

Trolling and personal attacks are not tolerated. You guys can debate, even argue the facts all you want, but if someone trolls a forum and the personal attacks start to fly, people will get infractions or vacations or permabanned as required to make the point. Completely up to you going forward....

at this point, after shipping costs etc... it's not worth it. I'd wager you wouldnt get more than $400 for a 780 these days. I would say just enjoy the 780's and wait till maxwell. I know thats what I will be doing

This.
You're going to take a beating on resale of the old cards to begin with; factor in Paypal/eBay fees, shipping costs......you'll take an even worse beating.

Unless you can offload them on Craigslist, I would just hold onto them. In the end, you'll probably gain...maybe 10 frames depending on your res. The aggravation wouldn't be worth it (to me at least).

I'm not sure I follow. I skimed through the review but it looks the the 780 sli is right in the mix trading blows with the 290's. And they are doing it quieter and more efficiently but also cost a bit more. In my opinion, they are both great set ups. So whats the deal?

I'm impressed with how close my pair of 7970's are to a pair of 290s.

Guess I'm holding off for a while :)

I'm not sure I follow. I skimed through the review but it looks the the 780 sli is right in the mix trading blows with the 290's. And they are doing it quieter and more efficiently but also cost a bit more. In my opinion, they are both great set ups. So whats the deal?

That's the problem, the 290 is on equal footing with the 780 which means when Mantle hits, it's going to hit hard! But I will probably wait for the 20nm generation.

That's the problem, the 290 is on equal footing with the 780 which means when Mantle hits, it's going to hit hard! But I will probably wait for the 20nm generation.

I don't know, call me a skeptic but I don't see Mantle as being this revolutionary thing that everyone is so eager to make it out to be. I guess we'll see in due time.

I don't know, call me a skeptic but I don't see Mantle as being this revolutionary thing that everyone is so eager to make it out to be. I guess we'll see in due time.

These dev's wouldn't be jumping at it if it wasn't worth it. Look at PhysX, hardly anyone bought into it but Mantle already has some high profile studios behind it. I am hoping to atleast see 5-10% gains minimum in Mantle enabled games.

5% = revolutionary?

I would call it a win, and that would be minimum. No one knows what to expect but gains are gains and I would be happy to get that. If we see 20%+ my head would explode.

I'm curious about CF and the drivers. Nvidia, although SLI has had some problems too, AMD drivers have been a bit more problematic. I'm wondering if AMD has finally caught up to nvidia yet as far as driver quality goes in games when it comes to multiple GPU and gaming?

the latest betas are pretty good.

i dont run crossfire, but those who do report much smoother experiences..even with dx9 iuch doesnt have frame pacing yet.

These dev's wouldn't be jumping at it if it wasn't worth it. Look at PhysX, hardly anyone bought into it but Mantle already has some high profile studios behind it. I am hoping to atleast see 5-10% gains minimum in Mantle enabled games.

Agree..Smart money says buy a 290 waterblock/non ref cooler. Hold over til the real next gen gets here.

So far BF4 and soon to be Mantle Game titles - Thief, Star Citizen

PhysX had some really shitty titles from initial implementation (Mirror's Edge)
up until Batman/Mafia

Heh, by the time Star Citizen comes out, the new 20nm cards will be 6 months old if not older.

Back