R7 3700X on X370 with 3600 ram?

What cpu?
Ryzen 1700 and then later on a 3900X
I could never get the RAM stable past 3000 with 4 sticks. Updates and moving to the 3900X helped stability a lot and definitely allowed me to use better/more ram than things were at launch, but there were limits that my AsRock X370 Gaming K4 never got past.

Same RAM and processor when I upgraded to X570 worked as simply as hitting XMP and it was instantly stable at 3200 with no tweaking. (I had 48GB back then, I have 64GB now.)

I could never get the RAM stable past 3000 with 4 sticks. Updates and moving to the 3900X helped stability a lot and definitely allowed me to use better/more ram than things were at launch, but there were limits that my AsRock X370 Gaming K4 never got past.

Same RAM and processor when I upgraded to X570 worked as simply as hitting XMP and it was instantly stable at 3200 with no tweaking. (I had 48GB back then, I have 64GB now.)

In fairness, I never had good luck with the Gaming K4 boards and memory compatibility. It was significantly worse than the Asus Crosshair Hero and Strix boards I used when it came to memory speeds and compatibility with Zen+ CPUs (I think I was using a 2600X at the time with FlareX memory).

I've had no issues with 3200mhz on either of my Ryzen 1XXX systems, one is even using cheap ram. I'm not pushing the envelope with 4 sticks or large capacities though, 16gb. My workloads might use 32gb, but anything more than that would be underutilized, I expect. Will have some soul searching to do as to whether I buy the 3600mhz out of the gate.

I run my cas 14 3200hhz ram at 3600 cas 15 and it will also do 3800 cas 16 with my 5900x.
You should test with your existing ram first to see how your board cpu combo handles higher IF clocks. Very good chance you can easily hit 3600 cas 16 if you have b die. Start with relaxes timings to rule out ram being the limiting factor and tighten from there. I ran a 3900x on an x370 for a while but my vrm melted...

I run my cas 14 3200hhz ram at 3600 cas 15 and it will also do 3800 cas 16 with my 5900x.
You should test with your existing ram first to see how your board cpu combo handles higher IF clocks. Very good chance you can easily hit 3600 cas 16 if you have b die. Start with relaxes timings to rule out ram being the limiting factor and tighten from there. I ran a 3900x on an x370 for a while but my vrm melted...
That's likely that I'll do. I will need another ram kit tho

In fairness, I never had good luck with the Gaming K4 boards and memory compatibility. It was significantly worse than the Asus Crosshair Hero and Strix boards I used when it came to memory speeds and compatibility with Zen+ CPUs (I think I was using a 2600X at the time with FlareX memory).
Yeah, but it was the *only* X370 board that I could get at launch, and these issues were fairly specific to the board IIRC.

Part of why I'm not anxious to jump on launch AM5 / DDR5.

It's not the RAM speed I'm trying to increase. The cpu literally is faster with higher clocked ram. It's internally built into and specific to Ryzen and their implementation of Infinity fabric. 3600mhz is the sweet spot.
yep. i'd look at some crucial ballistix. ryzen loves micron e-die ... anyway, that's what i'm running with my ryzen 3800X got some ballistix 3200 OC'd to 3666 using Ryzen DRAM Calc settings. i was an early adopter and didin't know at the time i needed 3600 ram but it all worked out. been rock solid for a couple years now. edit: ASUS TUF X570

Last edited:
No it was an Asus x370 prime pro. It should have been fine since I wasn't overclocking but the board had been used 24/7 for several years with full load so maybe it got tired and didn't like the extra TDP

Why not but the fastest ram you can afford and put it at the speed you find most stable?
That's been the stated plan since the first post. But why pay extra for ram unlikely to work.

travm , I bought a set of there RGB of that same type of memory here https://www.newegg.com/oloy-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820821464?Item=N82E16820821464

It was $57 Shipped on Black Friday and I wanted to try my 3700x on my MSI x470 Gaming Plus (gen1) as I keep it flash updated and they dropped right in and booted , had to go into bios to pick XMP 1 profile and reboot .. runs greats at 3600Mhz and I can tell some things seem snappy moving up from 3200Mhz at 1 to 1 .. the c16 would be a better deal if in stock ..

Back