Quick question on tip needed while installing my ram waterblock....

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
I have this bitspower wb (https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat...m-water-cooling-module-ddr5-single-sided.html) coming for my 7600Gskills monday and was just thinking out all possible issues prior to installation. Concern im having is do i apply thermal grease or thermal pad ontop of each ram heatsink so it can touch the base of waterblock? directions dont say anything of the sort but i find it hard to believe the waterblock just sits on top of the module sinks with NO interface material.... Anyone have input? Thank you

2EE_BiIqjcX-2NMAOlps-RRzaQ=w702-h936-no?authuser=0.jpg

I'm no expert, but that seems to me like it's just for looks. RAM dies do not get anywhere to considerably hot while in operation, so watercooling them might just be for looks.

Am I crazy or wrong here?

wrong.. A-Die mem get very warm...
The blocks need thermal pads to work properly. It's disappointing to see that they come bare. I would be loathe to use them without. Try measuring the thickness of the pads on the gskill sinks and go from there. I would also mimic the foam strip they used under the ics.

The blocks need thermal pads to work properly. It's disappointing to see that they come bare. I would be loathe to use them without. Try measuring the thickness of the pads on the gskill sinks and go from there. I would also mimic the foam strip they used under the ics.
I just inserted that pic to show a bare ddr5 stick, that is NOT the waterblock ram heatspreaders but rather the factory heatspreaders. What im talking about is the actual top of the heatspreaders where the waterblock will attach itself too. Should I use a nice layer of thermal paste on the top of the sticks or thermal pads, so the block can make a better thermal connection is my actual question. The directions DO NOT state to put anything up there but it only makes common sense to have some sort of thermal conductive product up there as the top of the heatsinks arent flat... see what im saying?!

I just inserted that pic to show a bare ddr5 stick, that is NOT the waterblock ram heatspreaders but rather the factory heatspreaders. What im talking about is the actual top of the heatspreaders where the waterblock will attach itself too. Should I use a nice layer of thermal paste on the top of the sticks or thermal pads, so the block can make a better thermal connection is my actual question. The directions DO NOT state to put anything up there but it only makes common sense to have some sort of thermal conductive product up there as the top of the heatsinks arent flat... see what im saying?!
Lol... I understood your question and answered it. The block specs, according to your link from ppcs state that the blocks come bare, or at least don't include thermal pads. The pic, I assumed was of your own stripped memory. Which is why I suggested you use the same type of foam below the ics (to protect the exposed circuitry).

Personally I wouldn't use paste on top of pads. If you're using quality pads it's unnecessary.

Lol... I understood your question and answered it. The block specs, according to your link from ppcs state that the blocks come bare, or at least don't include thermal pads. The pic, I assumed was of your own stripped memory. Which is why I suggested you use the same type of foam below the ics (to protect the exposed circuitry).

Personally I wouldn't use paste on top of pads. If you're using quality pads it's unnecessary.
it comes with thermal pads but nothing for the top of the heatsinks where the block sits... would you thing using a strip of thermal pad up top would be good to use to have the block sit on, or use thermal paste?

the manual shows you exactly how to do this, although its in japanese...
oh now i get it. sure put some paste in there if it makes you feel better.

Back