questions for gigabyte z68/p67 motherboard owners

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
ok need either a comfirmation that this is normal or my board/bios is screwed up from anyone that owns a gigabyte z68/p67 motherboard. i currently have a gigabyte z68 UD3-B3 motherboard thats being used in a customers build. this is the first intel based gigabyte board i've used in a long time. i just want to see if this is a problem everyone has or its something on my end.

first question, does cpu-z show the correct voltage for any of you? mine is currently showing 1.07v on the cpu even though its obviously way higher then that.

second question, does your bios show the cpu voltage way off from your actual voltage setting? i currently have mine set at 1.4v with level 6 load line which is showing at 1.36 in the bios, 1.45v real time(pc health monitor) and 1.41v idle 1.425v load using easytune 6 since cpu-z isn't showing the correct voltage. (yes the processor is overclocked at 4.8Ghz which is why the voltage is higher then the stock voltage)

1. c3/c6 states allow the voltage to drop at idle. It can (not will, but can) cause BSOD/crashing. Disable that unless you are prepared to support & debug it.
1a. some Giga boards have the sensors in a different location. Apparently using either a really up to date revised CPUz (1.58.6+) OR using the Giga Easy Tunes 6 Hardware Monitor can confirm your data.

2. Yes. Giga's implementation of voltage is wierd on my Z68X UD3H, same as yours. I recommend reading the hardwarecanucks(dot)com review of a Gigabyte 67/68 mobo - they take a multimeter to it and show that what you see in bios / cpuz might vary from what you set...and LLC level comparisons as well. It all relates to vdroop and vdrop, even if I could I wouldn't write that novel for you here :p

Personally, I wish I had gone ASUS. I have a ton of my observations in the overclock(dot)net 'official Gigabyte 67/68' thread.

yeah i disabled all the speedstep crap, disabled the turbo. i'm in agreement with you as well, i wish i had pushed the customer to go with an asus board as well but he was dead set on gigabyte. oh well it got shipped out yesterday so its his problem now, i did my end of the deal. but i'll look up that article as well.

You actually want C1 and EIST enabled, it doesn't interfere with overclocking and allows the cpu to downclock at idle, as it was designed to do - this is universal on all 67/68 chipset boards from all manufacturers. C3/C6 is a known issue though, that one you do want to disable. It can drop vcore below a threshold that causes BSOD's, though it's not an issue on every system.

You actually want C1 and EIST enabled, it doesn't interfere with overclocking and allows the cpu to downclock at idle, as it was designed to do - this is universal on all 67/68 chipset boards from all manufacturers. C3/C6 is a known issue though, that one you do want to disable. It can drop vcore below a threshold that causes BSOD's, though it's not an issue on every system.

yeah i played around between c3/c6 and the c1/eist, while C1/eist did drop the cpu clocks from 4.8 to 1.6Ghz it didn't really make much of a difference since it was either full 4.8Ghz or 1.6Ghz it never went to any other p state steps. turned on IE and it instantly jumped to 4.8Ghz and went right back to 1.6Ghz, started a flash video even though it was running with gpu acceleration and it instantly went to 4.8Ghz and sat there til the video stopped then went back to 1.6Ghz so i just left it off. with it idling at 4.8Ghz it ran at 36C instead of 32C and the voltage stayed at the exact same voltage whether it was idling at 1.6 or 4.8Ghz. though the full load voltage did jump up about .02v. disabling/enabling c3/c6 didn't make any difference with the idle1.6/idle4.8/full load voltage so i left those on. either way the systems being used for 1080p video editing/encoding so its going to spend most of its time at full load.

first question, does cpu-z show the correct voltage for any of you? mine is currently showing 1.07v on the cpu even though its obviously way higher then that.

I can answer this as I just discovered it last night while overclocking my Z68XP-UD4. The voltage cpu-z is reporting isn't the vcore but the qpi/vtt voltage. I verified this when I was messing with EasyTune6 and changed the qpi/vtt to 1.2 and it changed the cpu-z voltage to 1.180. Only way I've been able to get a voltage reading was through the hardware monitor in ET6 and it will vary with the LLC level you set.

I can answer this as I just discovered it last night while overclocking my Z68XP-UD4. The voltage cpu-z is reporting isn't the vcore but the qpi/vtt voltage. I verified this when I was messing with EasyTune6 and changed the qpi/vtt to 1.2 and it changed the cpu-z voltage to 1.180. Only way I've been able to get a voltage reading was through the hardware monitor in ET6 and it will vary with the LLC level you set.

interesting. didn't even think of it being the qpi/vtt voltage.

Back