Question about Rufus Bootable Drive Utility

Boris_yo

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I created bootable USB with FreeDos option and it worked with no issues.

rufus-screenshot.jpg

Then I created bootable USB with Syslinux as boot OS and got these errors.

Am I right that for other OSs than FreeDos I need to download ISO images?

Anyone knows what happened to Reboot forum? It was dedicated to bootable OS images
like Live CD and such. I think this was its website: reboot.it

Attachments

• fotor_1640272487273.jpg
    fotor_1640272487273.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 0
Generally Syslinux is used to boot Linux images. Just doing so on it's own will get you to the unconfigured prompt you saw.

CrimsonKnight13 Do you know where I can get Linux, ReactOS and Grub images? I found files but they had weird extensions like pkg, tar, xz, c32, bin. They were not images.

I found Linux Mint image but its version is 20.2, yet Syslinux mentions version 4.07 and 6.04.
Does that mean Linux Mint won't work because there is no matching version and I will have to find
different Linux distribution that is available in 4.07 or 6.04 version?

Last edited:
CrimsonKnight13 Do you know where I can get Linux, ReactOS and Grub images? I found files but they had weird extensions like pkg, tar, xz, c32, bin. They were not images.

I found Linux Mint image but its version is 20.2, yet Syslinux mentions version 4.07 and 6.04.
Does that mean Linux Mint won't work because there is no matching version and I will have to find
You would use the ISO mode of Rufus for any distro. If it's iso.gz or iso.xz, use 7zip to extract the iso before flashing.

Do you know where I can get Linux, ReactOS and Grub images? I found files but they had weird extensions like pkg, tar, xz, c32, bin. They were not images.
Each Linux distribution maintains its own official site from which you can download installation images.
You shouldn't need to download a bootloader such as Grub or Syslinux. I'm confused by your question about Syslinux. The bootloader version has no relationship to the operating system version.
Anyone knows what happened to Reboot forum? It was dedicated to bootable OS images
like Live CD and such. I think this was its website: reboot.it
Try: reboot.pro

You shouldn't need to download a bootloader such as Grub or Syslinux. I'm confused by your question about Syslinux. The bootloader version has no relationship to the operating system version.

Try: reboot.pro
It's clear now. I can flash any distro I want and replace it's bootloader with Grub or Syslinux that appear in the list?

Reboot.pro is the one I was looking for (y)

It's clear now. I can flash any distro I want and replace it's bootloader with Grub or Syslinux that appear in the list?

Reboot.pro is the one I was looking for (y)
No, every distro has their choice of a bootloader to make it work.

Back