Q9650 vid 1.30 Oced 3.8G DDR3 1333 long term statistics

Kiriakos-GR

Weaksauce
Regards to all from Greece.
May of 2021, I did upgrade my Q6600 and got an Q9650, as assistance because I was looking for a bit more horsepower for playing Battlefield V.
Q9650 shown as much better CPU, as it has higher internal transistors count, and delivered performance this is not coming from plain MHz increase.

ASUS P5QC this is another special product, P45 of third gen, supporting DDR3 1333 and even DDR3 1600 = 400FSB.
MSI GTX 1060 OC 6GB ( iGAMER), this is another upgrade in the period of chip shortages, but I were lucky, not an overpriced buy.

In summary, I am using my system for 80% productivity 20% Gaming.
Battlefield V shown to be not that forgiving at the old and badly configured hardware.
Today I am happy and proud, that my ASUS P5QC along the highest in speed component upgrades, this able to deliver sufficient performance.
Only downside this is max DDR3 size support, it needs DDR3 low density, and 2x4GB this is the limit.
In my surprise Gskill DDR3 1333 CL9 this can do much more at 400 strap, 3.6GHz 100% stable.
Now I am testing even higher FSB, long story in short I have to settle to lower FSB that RAM can do at 1.65V, and now I am at 423FSB CPU 3.807 MHz.

I am now looking for statistics from people with similar setup (stability over gaming).
CPU cooling this is made due the most excellent setup, Prolimatech ARMAGEDDON dual 14mm Fans.
I will demonstrate system screenshots if this topic become an interesting conversation. :)

Wow I'm impressed you are gaming with such old hardware. I remember playing Supreme Commander on a Q6600...in 2007. I don't know if I own any electronics in my house that is from pre-financial crisis anymore, other than my launch PS3 that I use to rip Japanese market SACDs occasionally or some of my home theater equipment.

Wow I'm impressed you are gaming with such old hardware.
It depends of how its one he is using computer hardware and computing power.
11 years ago, YouTube video rendering this was demonstrated as No1 of importance, so consumers to trash their computers and get INTEL i5, i6 or what ever.
This did not influence my personal choices back then, and this proven as great personal decision, as it was all about YouTube profitability boost than about consumers benefit.
7 years ago, NVIDIA started trying hard to convince consumers that over 100FPS this is a necessary benefit, they did that so to sell newer high-refresh monitors, again a move this serving NVIDIA and partners wallet.
VDSL got up to 100Mbits but even so, connectivity delay with the game server, this is far from be called to Gaming E sports ideal one.
In conclusion, the ones running behind the latest trends, they are larger victims of marketing.

Nice cpu, I remember lining up on black Friday at Frys to get this chip and then getting in line to checkout. Never again lol

I just retired my Xeon E5450 system (same as a Q9650) and even at stock speeds it was still surprisingly capable, allowing me to play through many hours of Metro Exodus and DLCs, Far Cry 5, and Far Cry New Dawn multiplayer, and plenty of web-surfing. My 'new' system is still ancient but mainly I needed the ability to run more then 8GB of memory.

Nice post........love me some old hardware!

Nice cpu, I remember lining up on black Friday at Frys to get this chip and then getting in line to checkout. Never again lol
I was an INTEL sponsor (as we was most of us) about new CPU's since 486DX100 up to Pentium 4 at 2.66GHz, this is approximately eleven switching times to another platform, along wasted cash equal to the price of a new car.
Since 2008 and later, I started to appreciate more the market of used parts, and I do take pride owning today the Porsche of 2009, at 2/10 of the price when these parts was fresh released.
INTEL killed Q9650 chip reputation too fast, it was feeling the urgency to move to another platform, i3 and higher.
Unfortunately the change to i5 platform took with it, several extra hardware features that motherboards was supporting, PCI 66MHz slot, RS-232, RAID controllers, death of DDR3.
At 2011 I was had to trash the entire PC once more time, as sacrifice for a modern platform, I did not, I am now walking against the stream by choice.

I am also thankful to GPU chip shortages times, there was a myth than newer Nvidia 1660 Super this was more advanced than GTX 1060 OC 6GB.
I was not monitoring hardware market since 2012 and later, I was very busy up to 2019, even so my fate was to get an GTX1060, and then to discover how superior this is.
Four core CPU this is capable to drive it at 45% GPU usage, this needs eight cores so to deliver all it performance, now I am calling it as future long term upgrade. :)
Even my G.Skill ram, this is old part code but 2020 revision, chips are modern, the RAM can do much more from it label.
Long story in sort, I am rediscovering P45 platform with much modern made parts, GPU of 2016, RAM of 2020, MB of 2009, CPU of 2006.

Last edited:
I'm impressed it is even capable of running modern games... It HAS to be a stutter fest though. I still have a Q6600 (OC'ed to 3.7Ghz) and a Q9450 (OC'ed to 3.4Ghz) running on an ASUS P5B-Deluxe... they are not gaming systems anymore, but benchmarks for games do suffer A LOT, even with 1080's in both of those respective systems.

At one time I thought about picking up a QX9650 on ebay just to see how far I could push it for fun, but never pulled the trigger.

I had a Xeon X5460 that was the equivalent of the Q9650, I retired it when I was able to get a Ryzen processor for my main machine and then replaced the Xeon setup with my old 4790k setup.
It worked great for such an old processor.
I did use it earlier this year to test my 3080,
IMG_0893.JPEG

I find this really awesome that some of these older platforms can run modern games. My dad still uses a Core 2 system I gave him back in 2008/2009. It is one of those Shuttle mini PC's. It currently has an old Radeon HD5830 in it. A few years ago I upgraded it with a Q8400 and 4GB of DDR2 800Mhz memory I had laying around along with an SSD. I am thinking about giving him a Core i7 10700K I have laying around that will likely last him another 12 years. I wonder if the Intel 630 iGPU is faster than the Radeon HD5830.

Reactions: I/O
like this
In one way it is awesome (not much if any forced obsolescence, stability on the software side and good standard that live well (PCI, x32-64, usb, ethernet and so on)

On the other side that show how slower the progression in every way was.

Imagine trying to play in 2001 with your 1988-89, even a brand new top of the line in 1989 25mhz 4x86 with 2 mb of ram (if that was about the top of the line money could buy) with 40mb of hard drive, when people had pentium 4 1.5 ghz with 128 meg of ram and 60 gig of HD with geforce 3 ti 500, by using the network if any or floppy disk.

That 2008/09 machine had I imagine same amount of ram many people still have on brand new machine now and similar hard drive size.

Nostalgia is good, but at 1996 we had, Quantum Fireball 540MB, 16MB of RAM (at a crazy price as 4MB this was the standard) Win 3.1 for work-groups, and no 3D acceleration, only VGA with Video acceleration for AVI files.
My most lovable item, my SONY 15" Trinitron , anything else was looking as discolored and dis-formed basketball.

I had a Xeon X5460 that was the equivalent of the Q9650, I retired it when I was able to get a Ryzen processor for my main machine and then replaced the Xeon setup with my old 4790k setup.
It worked great for such an old processor.

This period of time when I research older topics, most recent information's come from topics about Xeon modding.
True brother of Q9650 this is X3370 3.0GHz.
INTEL this in did feel safe at that design, with 12MB, to aloud 3.16GHz with X3380.

Attachments

• XEON-3300-series_X3370.jpg
    XEON-3300-series_X3370.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm currently using a Q9550 overclocked to 3.8Ghz along with a P45 motherboard for my secondary file server. These older higher-end motherboards are great for file servers. They usually come with 6+ SATA ports using a good quality Intel SATA controller. Even if it only has 3Gbps ports, that is still plenty for a spinning disk drive. They also tend to have a lot of PCIe slots, including 2-3 PCIe 16x (physical) slots that can be used for even more SATA ports or a dual/quad port Gigabit adapter, etc. You don't usually need that much CPU power for a file server, so the Core 2 Quad should be plenty.

I ran a Q9650 @ 4.4 for many years, until I got my 2500K. I was able to sell the Q9650 for $300+ at that point and bought a cheaper Q9550 a bit later, which is what that motherboard still uses today.

I support many customers who still use Core 2 Quad systems for Office/Business tasks. With an SSD and at least 4Gb of RAM, they are still quite capable for everyday non-gaming usage. Windows 11 runs great.

Q9550 overclocked to 3.8Ghz along with a P45 motherboard
447 FSB, but this does not help much with DDR2.

Q9550 this is a good chip too, I did the choice for Q9650 so to use it at stock, from my older Q6600 this always gently OCed at 333 Strap, the Q9650 at stock, this is a greater improvement.
I did stand very lucky about my purchase of Q9650, this was inside at a DELL workstation, and I assume a pile of such DELL workstation, ended to some one in Croatia, so these to become scrap metal.
The long story in sort, my new-used CPU this was not vandalized by any wannabe overclocker. ;)

Now I am getting gently at core voltage (1.352), for a first time I am evaluating the benefits of DDR3 at 400 Strap.
Battlefield V, this creates huge data rate activity, so the fine tuning of Q9650 this is not easy.
I am using Retail Win7 Pro 64bit, I have MCSE training at servers too, I do play the game there also following the rules, by inspecting Event Viewer Logs about any unusual activity, last thing that I am after this is OS corruption.
Q9550 along Q9650, both CPU they should be protected from running above the 71C at their heat spreader.

Long story in short, if you are ready to respect all rules, you must be prepared to drop CPU multiplier, keep FSB at 400 and above, where the system feels snappy with out this be in danger, fine tune DDR3 latency by hand, because in such P45 motherboards, only few are capable to handle large value of tRFC.
Asus P5QC can go up to tRFC 110 at Bios, I would have to stop pushing FSB at the point that specific DDR3 2x4GB (8GB) this feels happy.

I am finalizing my pack of memories, including experiences, this month.
At about 2010 my previews MSI motherboard, this developed bad CPU contact within the socket, that time I was desperate to find an replacement in a sort time.
ASUS P5QC this were offered to me at sweet price, with two years warranty, it was a demonstration sample that belonged to a large B2B company in Greece.
I were thrilled by the idea of DDR2+DDR3 support, plus RAID and other hardware features.
Many years later I did discover, that this is an six-phases (Mosfet) board, an tremendously powerful circuit for a motherboard this designed to have an single graphic card.
I was also unaware of the unofficial 400FSB support, and I thought that 333FSB this is the end of the road.

Q9650 this is very capable working at 400FSB, this is why deserves be named as more better chip than Q6600.
P45 this is further compatible to Q9650 even about lithography = less heat, uses less electrical power VS the older P35.

Another discovery which I did, was about the fresh DDR3 G.Skill Kit that I got.
On paper, G.SKILL F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT this is 9-9-9-24 1.5V - 1333 - with out XMP profile.
Hynix chip in use this is 1333 - 1600 - 1866 at 13-13-13 1.5V ( but specific memory kit is locket to CL9 as max)
Thanks to information's offered by Kingston mostly, I did succeed to implement at my DDR3, and XMP profile for 400/1600 at 1.66V .
MemSet 4.1 (SPD tool) this helped me, to do all testing, along with Maxxmem2.
Today I have a true working and unique XMP profile for the F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT 400/1600 at 1.66V.

Q9650 CPU design this behaves well up to 3.6G (when you own a high performance Air cooler).
My cooler was able to keep cool Q9650 up to INTEL thermal specification up 3916 MHz = T-Case 91C / INTEL Max T-case 94C.(120W of electrical consumption at 87A)
The test was a pass, but I have here winter = 16C intake, and such condition will change at summer, and therefore I was have to step down, at the comfort zone of CPU+CPU cooler.

Today 29/11/2021 I am finally extremely happy, my hard work at testing and studying products specifications, this paid out.
Now I have hard evidence of comfort zone of G.SKIL DDR3 (8GB) + CPU 3.6G (1.352V) + CPU cooler (150W Max thermal load) + ASUS P5QC NB voltage.

ASUS P5QC this include a unique energy monitor chip, this capable to measure CPU volts ,ampere and watts.
And therefore I was able to see the unseen, when Q9650 this was stressed above 3.6G = how much of additional energy this needs to use.
Now I have a pile of statistics, thermals, electrical, FSB, DDR3 CAS latency.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Kiriakos-GR, post: 1045206528, mem

Q9650 this is very capable working at 400FSB, this is why deserves be named as more better chip than Q6600.

[/QUOTE]

This is hardly a fair comparison. Q6600 launched q1 07 and q9650 was q3 08.

Q9650 was newer, more expensive and yeah it would be better but my i7 920 that came out a bit later than q9650 was even better so you can see where i am going here. Also my q6600 ran 3.8 ghz for 5+ years with no issues.

I did wrote this significant for me detail and above, while I will never sell my Q6600 that is a great batch of a chip, Q9650 with a higher transistors count, it can deliver more, by this working at less stress.
Gaming needs high G Flops delivery along error free, or else ... lots of blue screens 😢
Thanks to my old membership at ASUS website I won as gift EVEREST Ultimate Edition 2008 with license that never expire.

Just take a look of 30% higher delivery at CPU L1 L2.
Next one whom will talk of stable system at high clocks, I will need proofs so to believe.

Attachments

• 1_3.6G-1600DDR3-TEMP.gif
    1_3.6G-1600DDR3-TEMP.gif
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 400FSB-Q6600-Q9650.jpg
    400FSB-Q6600-Q9650.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 0
This is hardly a fair comparison. Q6600 launched q1 07 and q9650 was q3 08.

Q9650 was newer, more expensive and yeah it would be better but my i7 920 that came out a bit later than q9650 was even better so you can see where i am going here. Also my q6600 ran 3.8 ghz for 5+ years with no issues.
Q6600 was an amazing chip... mine still runs at 3.7Ghz (over 400 FSB mind you) with 1.46V perfectly fine. I had one of those G0 batches and they were stellar chips.

Q6600 was an amazing chip... mine still runs at 3.7Ghz (over 400 FSB mind you) with 1.46V perfectly fine. I had one of those G0 batches and they were stellar chips.
This is no debate or a race, and I am always trying hard on testing prior writing any summary.

There is a gap regarding experiences of people which them simply overclock a CPU core (actual speed not of importance) them with out owning a high end VGA at that time.
For example, P5QC of 2009 (Bios date) this were never tested with an more modern GTX1060 6GB plus CPU overclocking to the max at 400FSB.

Its P45 motherboard alone, this with out anything connected to it, this is the actual power supply (4 Phases or 6 Phases or 12 Phases MosFet)
12 Phases MosFet = CPU OC plus SLI
Phases MosFet = CPU plus Single high performance VGA
Phases MosFet = CPU plus Entry level VGA = Office use

At 6 Phases MosFet Motherboard, an installed GTX1060 this is an electrical load which will use lots of energy, from the total that this motherboard can provide.
In such a scenario, it will be less available energy resources for a power hungry CPU especially at 400FSB

DDR3 this designed to show performance at higher FSB, but very few use it for overclocking, and the reason this is its more difficult this to run stable at 2x4GB KIT.
DDR3 2x2GB this came at a time that manufacturers was more willing to create XMP profiles and 4GB as total was cheaper too.

P45 the magic word here this is throughput and power consumption at full load.
4GB or ram causes less stress to P45 in a benchmark , than when P45 this it is bench-marked with 8GB of ram, at the same NB Voltage P45 will require higher electrical current so to bench 8GB of ram in the unit of time ( per second).

All memory benchmarks they measure throughput (Read, write, copy) when P45 stays idle, and not when P45 this deliver it max throughput to PCIE = Video card.

Highest majority of people admit, they succeed high CPU overclock, they succeed also great ram throughput at 400 FSB along stability for hours at prime95 or IntelBurnTestV2, still the system failed at the most critical test that is gaming with identical stability.

Today my system succeed to make me feel scared for good, it was clocked at 400FSB - 3.6G - Ram timings and Ram voltage tested, this capable playing Battlefield V for five hours, and failed when I tested 3DMark 11 at 1080P.
15 seconds of benchmark and reboot, test reboot, test reboot.
Then I thought to explore P45 voltages, and I succeed to corrupt BIOS settings, making it totally unstable even when I returned back to 3G 333FSB 1333RAM.
I did pee my pants, by thinking that the motherboard has some sort of permanent damage.
For a first time after months of using my Q9650, I decided to perform load BIOS defaults settings, and thanks God, BIOS settings corruption when away, and no permanent damage at the motherboard.

Are you after having it all ? Highest CPU and FSB clocks along Gaming at highest stability with an GTX1060 6GB ( hardware of 2016) with the P45?
If yes, then you need to go back to school, because forum posts of 2009~2012 (when people was playing with P45) they does not have usable tips for you.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to convey here, or if you think you are calling me out... I have a Q6600 G0 at 3.7Ghz with 8GB of ram on a P65 and a Q9450 at 3.4Ghz ( over 400 FSB) with 8GB of ram on a P35 chipset.

I keep almost all of my old hardware for fun.

BOTH systems still work and I have a 1080 video card in both of them. They are both stable and I can run timespy 3dmark all day. Systems are also prime95 stable.

What tests you want me to run? I can run anything on them.

Aahh! The days of P45 (Gigabtye GA-EP45-UD3R, GA-EP45C-UD3R, and GA-EP45T-UD3LR for) and the 45nm E8500 and E7500 at 500MHz FSB!

Never could get ahold of a Q9650 at a decent price before I retired MBs (although I still have the boards I think)

PS...Those ASUS boards were garbage compared to the Gigabyte UltraDurable3 boards :)

PS...Those ASUS boards were garbage compared to the Gigabyte UltraDurable3 boards :)

Go away Mr. Teaser ... 🙂
I have three P5QC at my collection, but I had never push them at [H]ard Racing conditions.
Thanks for the humor, I was needed it, at the next sunrise I will test my system again at higher FSB, so to find the truth.

Attachments

• ASUS-P5QC--fanatic.jpg
    ASUS-P5QC--fanatic.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 0
Q9450 at 3.4Ghz ( over 400 FSB) with 8GB of ram on a P35 chipset.

What tests you want me to run? I can run anything on them.

If this setup using DDR3? and you have at Bios any magic settings, then write them below.
Thanks.

CPU PLL Voltage:
FSB Termination Voltage:
NB Voltage:
SBridge Voltage:
PCIE SATA Voltage:

If this setup using DDR3? and you have at Bios any magic settings, then write them below.
Thanks.

CPU PLL Voltage:
FSB Termination Voltage:
NB Voltage:
SBridge Voltage:
PCIE SATA Voltage:
Sadly, it is a DDR2 board... :(

I could post my AIDA64 with the setup tho; performed quite well considering.

Sadly, it is a DDR2 board... :(

I could post my AIDA64 with the setup tho; performed quite well considering.

No problem, thanks.

It appears that for my MB, it was for it an extreme condition, this to operate at 400FSB along DDR3 to 1600.
Only with voltage addition at several FSB and NB parameters this was capable to just boot with out this be rock stable.

Something it did happen at my last attempt about to stabilized DDR3 at 400/1600, NB this is today much less responsive to voltage tweaks, and even boot at 400/1600 this is now impossible.
At that current condition, 400FSB at 400 strap, they are now usable only when DDR3 this is set to Bios divider 1200 = 1333.
DDR3 it does gain lots of benefit even by working at 1333, when this is connected to 400 Bus.

In conclusion, this system should stay now at it comfort zone, Q9650 at 3.6G - 9x400 FSB - DDR3-1333
CPU FSB this is not a problem, Q9650 this is rock stable up to 9x432 = 3888, and at that setting I was when I started this topic.

No problem, thanks.

It appears that for my MB, it was for it an extreme condition, this to operate at 400FSB along DDR3 to 1600.
Only with voltage addition at several FSB and NB parameters this was capable to just boot with out this be rock stable.

Something it did happen at my last attempt about to stabilized DDR3 at 400/1600, NB this is today much less responsive to voltage tweaks, and even boot at 400/1600 this is now impossible.
At that current condition, 400FSB at 400 strap, they are now usable only when DDR3 this is set to Bios divider 1200 = 1333.
DDR3 it does gain lots of benefit even by working at 1333, when this is connected to 400 Bus.

In conclusion, this system should stay now at it comfort zone, Q9650 at 3.6G - 9x400 FSB - DDR3-1333
CPU FSB this is not a problem, Q9650 this is rock stable up to 9x432 = 3888, and at that setting I was when I started this topic.
Out of curiosity; have you re-pasted the NorthBridge Heatsink assembly? Any Thermal Paste from that era has probably long dried up and when those NB chips got too hot, they could cause crashing.

Out of curiosity; have you re-pasted the NorthBridge Heatsink assembly? Any Thermal Paste from that era has probably long dried up and when those NB chips got too hot, they could cause crashing.

Thanks for your suggestion.

No re-pasted at NB, MB this is as it was assembled at the factory.
And about the mystery looking ASUS NB heatsink (P5QC), this has never be removed, mostly because pins holding it in place they look as invisible.

I have remove a few NB heatsink from dead motherboards, mostly because they were fancy looking, and they did not come of easily.
Other that paste, there is in there a square spacer, an sponge with dual-side tape, so this to keep heatsink aligned (four corners alignment), never found in the market such a thing as spare-part.

I will attempt NB re-paste, mostly because what I am witnessing now, this is extremely weird.

Just an first observation, ASUS does not use thermal paste on motherboards, it appears using a thin layer of something that appears as thermal pad.
While I did gently removal of the NB heatsink, the thermal pad appears as slightly damaged but still not dead.
At that point everyone will use thermal paste as replacement, I did use Prolimatech PK-2.

At Idle, Q9650 stock speed, before (ASUS pad) NB heatsink temperature at 36C , now at 38C, small difference but the paste has better thermal transfer.
2C warmer outside = much cooler P45 (my estimate 5C lower).

I did not run any benchmarks yet.

Attachments

• P5QC-NB_1.jpg
    P5QC-NB_1.jpg
    937.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P5QC-NB_2.jpg
    P5QC-NB_2.jpg
    940.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P5QC-thermal-load-333-1333.jpg
    P5QC-thermal-load-333-1333.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 0
I won a qx 9650 on a 5 dollar raffle ticket at infernal lan back in 07. I nearly shyt myself when they called my ticket number. It replaced my beloved 4000 Newark socket 754 mobile that ran at 3154 mhz and 274 FSB on samsung TCCD.

I think its a time for my closure.
It is verified now, Q9650 with the P5QC this is unsuccessful marriage, if you think to run 400FSB.
Something at my motherboard this deteriorated, there is no chance this board to operate now above 350FSB, by simultaneously operating the graphic card at bench marking conditions of 3Dmark 11.
My other two P5QC, they need south bridge replacement, both had an accident at USB ports, and the SB took the hit.

At stock speed, this board can make it, but this is my gift for now, at buying time so to think of my next upgrade.

Aahh! The days of P45 (Gigabtye GA-EP45-UD3R, GA-EP45C-UD3R, and GA-EP45T-UD3LR for) and the 45nm E8500 and E7500 at 500MHz FSB!

Never could get ahold of a Q9650 at a decent price before I retired MBs (although I still have the boards I think)

I think its a time for my closure.
It is verified now, Q9650 with the P5QC this is unsuccessful marriage, if you think to run 400FSB.
Something at my motherboard this deteriorated, there is no chance this board to operate now above 350FSB, by simultaneously operating the graphic card at bench marking conditions of 3Dmark 11.
My other two P5QC, they need south bridge replacement, both had an accident at USB ports, and the SB took the hit.

At stock speed, this board can make it, but this is my gift for now, at buying time so to think of my next upgrade.

There are some tricks for 400FSB for the 45nm Quad Cores as 400FSB should be pretty easy with the right settings...At least for the Gigabyte series of boards. You can find them at the link below, but not sure how well the ASUS will do.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...e-UD3-P45-Series-EP45-UD3-EP45-UD3R-EP45-UD3P

There are some tricks for 400FSB for the 45nm Quad Cores as 400FSB should be pretty easy with the right settings...At least for the Gigabyte series of boards. You can find them at the link below, but not sure how well the ASUS will do.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...e-UD3-P45-Series-EP45-UD3-EP45-UD3R-EP45-UD3P

Thanks, I am professionally working at repairing electronics and at industrial electrical applications.
I am now making thoughts to move in to another platform, something made at the past, this capable to use GTX1060 at it maximum of it potentials.

Even so, I need to reuse my DDR3, my CPU cooler, and the X-Fi music (PCI standard), and I need also a single channel of IDE (wide ribbon).
Long story in sort, I am now researching for i7 2Gen or 3Gen, but motherboard selection and availability as used, this is also another one problem.

If I need help from the community, then I will start another topic.

I can check and see if one of the two Z97 motherboards I have has an IDE port. I also have a Core i5 of some type laying around.

Thanks, I am professionally working at repairing electronics and at industrial electrical applications.
I am now making thoughts to move in to another platform, something made at the past, this capable to use GTX1060 at it maximum of it potentials.

Even so, I need to reuse my DDR3, my CPU cooler, and the X-Fi music (PCI standard), and I need also a single channel of IDE (wide ribbon).
Long story in sort, I am now researching for i7 2Gen or 3Gen, but motherboard selection and availability as used, this is also another one problem.

Personally, I would look at an X58 setup since you can get 6C/12T rather than just a 4C/8T setup with those requirements. I had a X5660 at 4.2Ghz on a X58 Sabertooth. With Speedstep enabled it would drop to 2.4Ghz and low voltage for non-high end use. Probably the last great manual OC I'll ever do.

I can check and see if one of the two Z97 motherboards I have has an IDE port. I also have a Core i5 of some type laying around.

A Z97 4790k would still likely outperform a Xeon/X58 combo simply due to the clockspeeds even if it has less cores/threads.

A Sandybridge systen would be a nice upgrade, and you could keep your DDR3. An i7 2600K is one of the best bang for buck deals on the market if you shop around. I recommend a Gigabyte Z68 UD series mobo. X58/Z97 mobos are too expensive IMO. Superb and stable patform, I had mine for eight years at 4.0ghz undervolted to 1.1v. Easy as pie, just bump your multi to 40x, and you are off.

example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384455163366?epid=10032580672&hash=item5983503de6:g:ev8AAOSwU8Fhbu28&LH_BIN=1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115125163998?hash=item1acdfe97de:g:XoUAAOSwFtVhqmik&LH_BIN=1

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you people for your kind contributions, my head this is still spins from my extra-long overnight research, I had quit reading Intel datasheets for one decade plus, and now I have to rediscover all INTEL footsteps (2013~2015).
I have to retain my choices within anything supported due LGA1150 (2013) & LGA1151 (2015).
I did study performance differences of Z87 with Z97, and I am about to make one last homework about Z170.
It is of greater importance to me, PCIe 16x of Gen 3.0

Older CPU at six cores, and modern at only four cores this made a huge impressions also to me.
Even larger impression speaking of sanity, this is what INTEL had in mind at LGA1150, so to force it self to develop 1151? One extra pin will save the world? 🙃

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=2150&subid=2306#showtab

Last edited:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157263

Probably going to hard to find, but I built a PC for a friend years ago with this motherboard specifically because it had an IDE port and PCI slots on it, which he is still using to this day. This board can run with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs. I'm pretty sure at the time I researched it, this was the only Z68 motherboard out there with an IDE port. I kinda doubt you will find an IDE port on anything newer then this...............

Edit: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157240

Looks like there is a slightly older P67 based one of these as well that may be easier to find. Really isn't much difference between the Z68 and P67 chipsets other then Z68 can use Intel integrated video on the CPU.

Last edited:
They do make PCIe RAID cards that have IDE slots... or at least they used too, I know I have one no longer in use sitting around.

They also make PCIe to PCI cards too... FYI...

Back