PSU with fan off mode

M76

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking for a PSU that turns off it's fan bellow a certain temperature / load level. I've found a few Seasonics that supposedly have a silent mode, but it seems to me that it's not a true fanless mode, just very low rpm. They say it's virtually silent, well I don't want virtually, I want actually silent. I'm very sensitive to noise.

I only need it for a home server, so it doesn't need to be super high capacity 450-500W would already be overkill for the purpose but I suppose I won't find this feature on any lesser units.

You're thinking of the Seasonic Focus GM line that only has the low rpm fan.

The Seasonic Focus GX line has the true fanless mode. Phanteks AMP is also a re-branded Seasonic GX, but it will stay fanless until 40% load instead of 30%.

Corsair RM line also has this feature.

Last edited:
Corsair RMx/RMi get my vote. Avoid vanilla RM.
What's the difference? Apart from costing 50% more?
My retailer lists the return rate of each item, and the RMi has a significant RMA rate, while the RM seems OK, the RMx is not available.

I'm looking for a PSU that turns off it's fan bellow a certain temperature / load level. I've found a few Seasonics that supposedly have a silent mode, but it seems to me that it's not a true fanless mode, just very low rpm. They say it's virtually silent, well I don't want virtually, I want actually silent. I'm very sensitive to noise.

I only need it for a home server, so it doesn't need to be super high capacity 450-500W would already be overkill for the purpose but I suppose I won't find this feature on any lesser units.

My EVGA is truly silent, but it's quite a bit more wattage than you want. It's a 1300w model and even when it's pushing 600w it still doesn't come on. Usually does around 800w. So, for you it would never come on.

What's the difference? Apart from costing 50% more?
My retailer lists the return rate of each item, and the RMi has a significant RMA rate, while the RM seems OK, the RMx is not available.
RMi and RMx (built by CWT) are the same except the software monitoring features in RMi. RM has different, inferior internals (Chicony). They aren't bad, but the new CWT models are top tier.

Last edited:
RMi and RMx (built by CWT) are the same except the software monitoring features in RMi. RM has different, inferior internals (Chicony). They aren't bad, but the new CWT models are top tier.
Since they offer 10 year warranty for the lower tier one as well I'm not going to pay the 50% premium. Software monitoring would be nice to have, but not for 50% more. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm getting an RM650.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
EVGA with the ECO mode button does 0 rpm fan mode.
I believe my Corsair HX750 also does 0 rpm

That seasonic series doesn't seem to be available here, plus I already ordered the corsair.

Doesn't matter much at this point, but I find the Seasonic Prime units are indeed silent unless you've got the computer setup in like a listening booth and you're measuring for DB. I just can't imagine anyone hearing the fan on it in a normal office setup. Under all but the highest load conditions the fan spins at a very low RPM. Your central air fan in the house will make more noise, etc. You'd need a 100% dead silent room, with like no carpeting, bare walls, etc and you'd have a chance of hearing the fan.

Fan off silent mode: Then all the heat goes up into your case and your fans speed up. I don't know any users that demanded companies produce silent mode P/S.

Or just get the case off your desk. I run the case/modem/wifi across the room on a seperate breaker with an AC line conditioner for the P/S. Asus Thor 850/1200 are Seasonic's top platinum P/S with custom giant Asus heat sinks. Thor has a switch on the back for fan silent mode. AMD/Radeon/Asus/EK/Watercool I have never had a DOA or an RMA. G SKILL Royal and Sabrent GEN4 drives are perfect but I've only had them for a short time.

Fan off silent mode: Then all the heat goes up into your case and your fans speed up.
There is always one naysayer, who will tell you: No you can't do it! And you shouldn't even try!

lol.png

And it's not as if I just turned on the PC, it is running 24/7. Passive GPU sitting above the PSU seems pretty chill to me.

I don't know any users that demanded companies produce silent mode P/S.
And yet they clearly exist, and there is more choice than I expected. For profit companies rarely do things for which there is no demand.

I've got an EVGA model with eco mode... Annoying as crap as it sits at zero RPM and intermittently turns on and off. I'd rather if it just sat at a really low rpm and didn't cycle. Seems more of a gimmick than a useful feature. It does this when I'm not even stressing my PC. It's a 1000w PSU running a 65w CPU and 125w GPU while typing in visual studio, just a tick above idle.

If you value slience and are happy to pay a premium for high quality, quiet components then the SilverStone NJ450-SXL Nightjar Platinum fanless PSU is a good option.

It calls itself a 450w PSU because it is fanless but the components themselves are the equivalent of much higher wattage fan based PSUs.

But as long as you have a reasonably normal system (i.e. not an SLI or threadripper or similar) and airflow, it'll be fine.

I've got a Seasonic Prime TX-1000 with a fanless mode that seems to work. I'm not sure I see much point to it though. It has a fan on/semi-fanless button on the back and if I set it to on I don't notice any difference in noise levels.

I've got an EVGA model with eco mode... Annoying as crap as it sits at zero RPM and intermittently turns on and off. I'd rather if it just sat at a really low rpm and didn't cycle. Seems more of a gimmick than a useful feature. It does this when I'm not even stressing my PC. It's a 1000w PSU running a 65w CPU and 125w GPU while typing in visual studio, just a tick above idle.

For sure. I also don't really like that it will let the components sit hotter than they need to, just because. I turned it off and just let the fan run. Never hear it. This is a 1300w EVGA.

I installed a new EVGA SuperNOVA GT 650W. It's got that auto ECO mode; there is no switch for it on the unit that I can see. It's been silent so far, other than when I ran benchmarks

I run the Asus Thor 1200 and like the Seasonic it's built on, it does have the switch. Two of the last three Silverstone P/S I've owned the 3.3 volt supply would drop so low in voltage it would kill the system.

I've got a Seasonic Prime TX-1000 with a fanless mode that seems to work. I'm not sure I see much point to it though. It has a fan on/semi-fanless button on the back and if I set it to on I don't notice any difference in noise levels.

Depends on your noise levels from the computer in idle. Turning on the PSU-fan on my main computer more than doubles the noise level on idle (basically from very very close to the noise floor in the room to noticeable).

Does anyone have a suggestion for a "cheap" fanless PSU. Doesn't need high wattage, while build quality and power delivery needs to be decent. It is for a computer that will use between 30 and 160 watts, most of the time closer to 30 watts and be running 24/7. It is meant to be very low noise server with low powerdraw so having a PSU fan running is out of the question.

Back