PSU fan replacement: 4 pin fan instead of 3 pin. Will this work?

kraft_mk

n00b
My old Enermax Revolution87+ 750 W (80+ Gold) PSU fan was very quiet.
Since yesterday and only during the gaming sessions it started making very loud and rattling noise.

Fan inside: 3 pin 140mm Enermax model, EA142512M-0A .
For the PSU Enermax says: "Ultra silent and powerful cooling performance thanks to the advanced and intelligent fuzzy logic fan speed control with min. 300 or 500 RPM up to max. 1,000 or 1,200 RPM (depending on the model)."

My question:
- I have new 4 pin CoolerMaster SICKLEFLOW 140 ARGB fan laying around.
- Looks that Enermax PSU has some form of ("fuzzy logic fan speed?") controls for the cooler speed.
- That (voltage) speed control will probably remain if I correctly re-wire that 4 pin fan but some fans are able to start spinning at 2v, some at 4v etc. I cant find any info about those two models.

Thanks!
K

PSU Model / Old cooler / Replacement cooler
1.jpg

Innenansicht1 EA26_2913_N1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank You for your reply.

That`s exactly what I was afraid off.

- That (voltage) speed control will be completely lost?
So my only option is 3 pin fan and also no 4-to-3-pin adapters or anything similar?

Thank You.

You might be able to use a 4 pin fan, but it would be worse than using a 3 pin fan, and probably cost more too.

yup has to be 3pin.
I got new ARCTIC P14 1700 RPM 3-pin, BLACK ACFAN00123.

New one: 0.15A/12V
Old one: 0.25A/12V

Also, diferent conectors but I will attach the old one to the new one, but.

- But, all wires on the new one are black.

Should I continue rewiring in this specific order?
Thanks!
20220404_154453.jpg

Last edited:
Really the best thing to do is just connect the fan to a mobo connector and control it from there.

May want to check the voltage. If it's actually running on 22V, it will fry that 12v fan. It's probably not, but you never know in a PSU.

Back