PSA: Corsair Issues Recall for Recent SFX Power Supplies

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Good for them to recall, but I just finished building three PCs with SF-series PSUs. Their order processing times are absolute shit right now so it'll probably be at least a month long wait to get a replacement PSU.

EDIT: Yep, two of three PSUs are in the affected lots. Two recall requests filed. I have not be happy with Corsair's service recently on new orders directly through their website, so this is just icing on the cake. I won't be giving them the pleasure of direct orders with the manufacturer any more -- let NewEgg and Amazon get their cut from now on!

Last edited:
I like Corsair but I did have a bad string of AX1200i's that would just cut out under load and get the red LED of death.

I have not be happy with Corsair's service recently on new orders directly through their website, so this is just icing on the cake.

Well, the sales on the Corsair website has been HUGE lately due to the shortages at Newegg and Amazon. They simply don't have the manpower to process and ship so many orders. I've been told the quantities ordered exceed typical Black Friday - Christmas sales.

Well, the sales on the Corsair website has been HUGE lately due to the shortages at Newegg and Amazon. They simply don't have the manpower to process and ship so many orders. I've been told the quantities ordered exceed typical Black Friday - Christmas sales.

That's completely understandable, but Corsair needs to stop charging credit/debit cards the moment a product is ordered. Corsair was days away from my filing a credit card charge back for an order that was going to be 30+ days late without any response from customer service. Every other supplier that I work with only charges once the order is shipped. I'll cut them slack when they change their process.

That's completely understandable, but Corsair needs to stop charging credit/debit cards the moment a product is ordered. Corsair was days away from my filing a credit card charge back for an order that was going to be 30+ days late without any response from customer service. Every other supplier that I work with only charges once the order is shipped. I'll cut them slack when they change their process.

I suspect they'll only change it when unhappy customers start complaining to their CC companies and don't have all their ducks in a row. Charging well in advance of shipping comes with higher fees; if it turns out they set their merchant accounts up on the assumption of rapid turn around that they're now missing because supply shortages, they could find themselveson the recieving end of a LARTing from Visa and Mastercard.

Well this is going about as slow as I expected, not the best customer service experience.

6/4 - Filed RMA requests
6/8 - Corsair asks for proof of purchase and serial number. I thought I had provided that information in the initial RMA request.
6/10 - Corsair says they do not have a PSU for my region, so they're sending another unit from another region and I need to keep my power cord?!? That makes me feel confident it is going to work when I plug it in...
6/12 - Corsair finally approves both Advanced RMAs. It took daily emails and a phone call to get them to do it for one of the two RMAs. I'm not sending something back just to wait and find out the exchange unit somehow doesn't work.
6/12 - After authorizing the temporary hold for the Advanced RMA, Corsair says they have to "validate" the transaction. Seriously, I've spent close to $1K in the last month on Corsair parts through their website with the same CC.

Who knows when I'll get my replacement PSUs. I guess it could be worse, still good for Corsair to even do this recall.

Last edited:
Well this is going about as slow as I expected, not the best customer service experience.

6/4 - Filed RMA requests
6/8 - Corsair asks for proof of purchase and serial number. I thought I had provided that information in the initial RMA request.
6/10 - Corsair says they do not have a PSU for my region, so they're sending another unit from another region and I need to keep my power cord?!? That makes me feel confident it is going to work when I plug it in...
6/12 - Corsair finally approves both Advanced RMAs. It took daily emails and a phone call to get them to do it for one of the two RMAs. I'm not sending something back just to wait and find out the exchange unit somehow doesn't work.
6/12 - After authorizing the temporary hold for the Advanced RMA, Corsair says they have to "validate" the transaction. Seriously, I've spent close to $1K in the last month on Corsair parts through their website with the same CC.

Who knows when I'll get my replacement PSUs. I guess it could be worse, still good for Corsair to even do this recall.

Modern PSUs run accept anything in the 100-250V 47-63Hz ranges AC so the PSU will work on any power grid in the world. The connector you plug your cord into is also a global standard. A model intended for a different region just has a power cord with a different wall plug on the end, but is otherwise the same as one packaged to be sold where you live. When the replacement arrives, plug your old wall cord (or any of the wall cords from your parts closet) in and it'll work. Put the cord that came with the PSU into your scrap electronics box until you make another best-buy run to recycle all your junk.

I got a fairly quick response to my initial rma submission but nothing since - I replied and asked to do an advance rma and I’m waiting to hear back. I imagine they are beyond swamped right now.

Modern PSUs run accept anything in the 100-250V 47-63Hz ranges AC so the PSU will work on any power grid in the world. The connector you plug your cord into is also a global standard. A model intended for a different region just has a power cord with a different wall plug on the end, but is otherwise the same as one packaged to be sold where you live. When the replacement arrives, plug your old wall cord (or any of the wall cords from your parts closet) in and it'll work. Put the cord that came with the PSU into your scrap electronics box until you make another best-buy run to recycle all your junk.

That's good to know, thanks!

Following up, replacement was shipped on the 16th, got it yesterday and installed today. If anyone hasn't heard from them in a while I'd suggest just sending an email inquiring about status.

6/4 - Filed RMA requests

I can tell you the replacement parts I got came from Amsterdam, that is why Corsair tell you to keep the power cord. Funny enough, your experience is similar to my experience Corsair when I had to RMA two SF PSU. The PSU is still gonna work regardless of region as it has active PFC, so the voltage range is 100 to 240 volts.

Following up, replacement was shipped on the 16th, got it yesterday and installed today. If anyone hasn't heard from them in a while I'd suggest just sending an email inquiring about status.
Did you get a notification from Corsair about tracking information from DHL? Just asking around since I am not sure how many folks here got that email.

I got a shipping notification from them with a UPS tracking number - they shipped it from California and I'm in Maryland. But it was an email they sent in response to the ticket, not a separate notification email.

Back