PS4 Questions

biggles

2[H]4U
1. I have noticed the fan noise is quite loud when playing God of War. Is it likely the PS4 is going bad, or is this game just particularly demanding of the hardware? Meaning more heat and higher fan speeds. This is a base model PS4 purchased in 2013.
2. Is the PS4 Pro a quieter system? Is the PS4 Pro worth it if you only have a 1080p display? We have an old Samsung 51" plasma, very high picture quality, no plans to get a 4K TV anytime soon.
3. I understand the PS4 Pro would not only offer higher resolution, but also higher frame rates. This is a subjective question of course, but do people here think the Pro version of the console is worth it? Are there enough games that take advantage of the Pro features?
4. I installed a 2 TB SSHD, Seagate Firecuda. Not as fast as a SSD but much better vs a 5400 rpm drive. Would it be easy to transfer the SSHD to a PS4 Pro if I decided to get the Pro?
5. Does the PS4 run cooler when placed vertically on a stand? Currently it is horizontal. Plenty of space behind it to exhaust warm air. There is a 360 on top of it, which I assume is fine as there are no vents on top of the PS4.

1. I have noticed the fan noise is quite loud when playing God of War. Is it likely the PS4 is going bad, or is this game just particularly demanding of the hardware? Meaning more heat and higher fan speeds. This is a base model PS4 purchased in 2013.
2. Is the PS4 Pro a quieter system? Is the PS4 Pro worth it if you only have a 1080p display? We have an old Samsung 51" plasma, very high picture quality, no plans to get a 4K TV anytime soon.
3. I understand the PS4 Pro would not only offer higher resolution, but also higher frame rates. This is a subjective question of course, but do people here think the Pro version of the console is worth it? Are there enough games that take advantage of the Pro features?
4. I installed a 2 TB SSHD, Seagate Firecuda. Not as fast as a SSD but much better vs a 5400 rpm drive. Would it be easy to transfer the SSHD to a PS4 Pro if I decided to get the Pro?
5. Does the PS4 run cooler when placed vertically on a stand? Currently it is horizontal. Plenty of space behind it to exhaust warm air. There is a 360 on top of it, which I assume is fine as there are no vents on top of the PS4.
1. Gonna be normal. I have a launch PS4 and its fans got loud with God of War and Horizon. Compressed air might help ease the burden on the fan, and I noticed it quieted back down after replacing thermal paste, which a couple months ago was quite thick and almost hardened being 7 years old. It was very quiet after that whether God of War or Ghost of Tsushima.

2/3/4. Don’t have a Pro can’t answer that accurately.

5. It shouldn’t matter if it’s horizontal or vertical.

1. Probably dust and dirt buildup. The PS4 is notorious for getting clogged up with the stuff. You can take it apart to clean out the fans. It may also be a good idea to repaste the SoC if you're adventurous.
  2. No, the PS4 Pro can get louder depending on the game. You can still benefit from the performance mode that is available with the Pro, but Sony has always forced native resolution with games (there is no downscaling like there is on Xbox).
  3. In a lot of cases games can be more stable in terms of framerate on the Pro. Games that run at an unlocked framerate will see the biggest benefit on the Pro. I honestly can't remember the last game I played on my PS4 Pro that didn't have Pro features.
  4. Unfortunately you will need to do a system reset if you want to replace the internal drive on a new system. The console will not boot from a drive that is already setup from another console. External drives are the only ones that are interchangeable between consoles without the need for reinstallation. What you can do with the internal is make a backup on the external and then restore from the backup to the SSHD after it has been reformatted and reset.
  5. The PS4 runs cooler and quieter in the horizontal position.

I have a ps4, ps4 pro, and ps5. ps4 and pro are both loud-ish when you are playing heavy games. However, i can't recommend buying a ps4 pro right now, it's just not worth it, get a 5. No more games will be optimized for it, and not very many were to begin with. Also an SSD will help slightly with a ps4 pro, but watch some YouTube vids on comparisons, it's really not all that great.

I have a ps4, ps4 pro, and ps5. ps4 and pro are both loud-ish when you are playing heavy games. However, i can't recommend buying a ps4 pro right now, it's just not worth it, get a 5. No more games will be optimized for it, and not very many were to begin with. Also an SSD will help slightly with a ps4 pro, but watch some YouTube vids on comparisons, it's really not all that great.
Well I thought about the ps5 but it is pretty hard to find in stock, correct? Just like videocards right now.

Well I thought about the ps5 but it is pretty hard to find in stock, correct? Just like videocards right now.
It's easier to get a console right now than it is to get a video card. If you have Target in your area watch out for when they do drops. I got both my PS5 and Series X from Walmart drops. Consoles are usually available for up to an hour in my experience while video cards are gone in seconds.

I had a loud PS4 and PS4 Pro. The Pro model was especially loud when playing graphically intensive games. Uncharted 4, TLoU2, and God of War all sounded like someone was using a leaf blower outside. My PS5 has been whisper quiet, though. That with native games, PS4 games, and "updated" PS4 games. I've only had it since November, but it's already my favorite console since the Xbox 360.

It really makes a difference repasting the ps4 base/pro. After I did my pro awhile back it went from a jet engine to quiet. I couldn't hear it from my couch no matter what I played.

I spent some time on GoW on my PS4 Pro before getting a PS5. My thoughts:
  • PS5 is definitely smoother. I'm only using them on a 1080p 60hz projector, but the PS5 is so much smoother that it makes a big difference.
  • PS5 isn't that hard to buy. Once I joined a discord and started trying to buy one, I managed to get an order in within 2 days of trying. Maybe I got lucky. Video cards are MUCH MUCH more difficult to purchase.
  • I didn't notice any graphics quality improvements switching between PS4 pro and PS5.
  • My PS4 pro fans are not very loud when playing any games (incl. God of War and Ghost of Tsushima). I sit about 10 feet away and have a pretty nice sound system, but even when the game is quiet, I don't notice the noise level from either PS4 Pro nor PS5.
  • Transferring multiple account save files is a PITA! Sony really should make the process easier, and auto-syncronize for families with kids who will use both systems. It's like Sony only thought that people would get rid of the old PS4 systems, not keep them and use them on different TVs.
  • I bought an external 2TB ssd (Samsung T5) to use with the PS5. The PS4 and PS5 must use the same file system because you can use it to transfer game install data between them using the external SSD.
IMO, it's definitely worth getting a PS5. The freebie games upfront that are all digital are very good, the PS5 made a huge difference in FPS and is significantly smoother, and the PS+ membership gives out some free games monthly that are PS5 only.

It really makes a difference repasting the ps4 base/pro. After I did my pro awhile back it went from a jet engine to quiet. I couldn't hear it from my couch no matter what I played.

Yup, I repasted my Pro right before TLoU2 launched and it was silent throughout two playthroughs of that game. The Pro was generally more quiet than the base PS4 I had before that, which would usually keep the fan ramped up constantly, whereas the Pro would cycle the fan speed occasionally while playing demanding games like God of War (until I repasted it anyways).

The Pro is still worth playing on a 1080p TV too since it will just super sample/downscale the game for a cleaner image still, which the PS5 doesn't actually support from what I've seen in the settings (or lack thereof). Plus you get the better performance as well in games that give you that option.

Questions about repasting: I assume something like the video below describes the process, correct?

If there is a better guide out there somewhere can someone link it here?

Is there an objective way to measure improvement in sound and/or temps if trying this procedure? On the PC I just run programs like MSI Afterburner. This allows me, for example, to check improvement when upgrading from a stock to aftermarket heatsink for the CPU. Since we do not have temp monitoring programs for PS4, I was thinking put a smartphone 1-2 feet away and run an app to measure decibels. Is this a good way to check and see if repasting works? In other words, check decibels of fan noise before and after repasting. My assumption is that the PS4 has a fan curve that ramps up fan speed as temps rise just like in a PC.

Regarding a possible PS4 pro upgrade, I found some used ones locally on Craigslist in the $250-$350 price range with extras (games and controllers). For that price it seemed like it might be worth it.

Back to the fan noise in God of War. I have been paying closer attention to this. Noticing it happens at unexpected times, like on the map or when visiting the merchant. So, maybe something unusual about this game is happening. Because it would seem these moments are not stressing the hardware.

Questions about repasting: I assume something like the video below describes the process, correct?

If there is a better guide out there somewhere can someone link it here?

Is there an objective way to measure improvement in sound and/or temps if trying this procedure? On the PC I just run programs like MSI Afterburner. This allows me, for example, to check improvement when upgrading from a stock to aftermarket heatsink for the CPU. Since we do not have temp monitoring programs for PS4, I was thinking put a smartphone 1-2 feet away and run an app to measure decibels. Is this a good way to check and see if repasting works? In other words, check decibels of fan noise before and after repasting. My assumption is that the PS4 has a fan curve that ramps up fan speed as temps rise just like in a PC.

Regarding a possible PS4 pro upgrade, I found some used ones locally on Craigslist in the $250-$350 price range with extras (games and controllers). For that price it seemed like it might be worth it.

Back to the fan noise in God of War. I have been paying closer attention to this. Noticing it happens at unexpected times, like on the map or when visiting the merchant. So, maybe something unusual about this game is happening. Because it would seem these moments are not stressing the hardware.

Can't see that video from work, but I didn't even use a guide to repast my PS4 Pro since I'm generally comfortable with taking things apart, esp. electronics after doing many phone/tablet repairs. But there are plenty available on Youtube for the various models and most of them should be good enough as long as they're working on the variant you have. Like I think I remember variants of the Pro have significantly different screw types and layouts depending on the model.

If you can get a Pro for around $300 with extra controllers and stuff, I think it's still worth it. It's crazy how current gen console demand has also trickled down to the previous gen as well. I go into my local PX (Post Exchange - like a Target for military bases/members) and I'm seeing their Xbone One S and PS4 Pro inventory dwindle every day still. They had just got like 12 or so PS4 Pros in a week or two ago and I was just in there yesterday and they're on their last one now, still selling at $379 I think for a regular 1TB vanilla bundle (no game inlcuded).

Yeah, using a Decibel app on your phone is probably the best way to test temp improvement from repasting the console if you want. I didn't care enough to do that and just wanted the fan to stop spinning up so fast/loud every few mins while on demanding games, and repasting completely stopped that from happening on my Pro. There's basically like 3-4 fan profiles on the consoles; idle and quiet, in-game and still mostly quiet, loud, or retarded loud. I only heard my Pro get retarded loud when I forgot to open my cabinet door to it and let it bake itself while playing a game, and generally I would leave the door open and slide out the shelf it was on (it's on rollers that extend out) to let it breath better and it would generally bounce between the quiet and loud profiles in demanding games like most PS4 exclusives are. And then of course after repasting it, it literally never got past the quiet profile for me while playing any of the demanding exclusives like God of War or TLoU2.

I actually posted specifics about it here in the TLoU2 thread.

It's funny you bring up the fan spinning up at odd times like map screens, I remember at least specifically in Horizon Zero Dawn's case, the map screen on there is very demanding on the console according to a dev interview I saw somewhere. But in that game the map is actually polygonal and a decently textured and rendered map. Can't even remember how GoW's map looks now, but it may be the same case there.

I'll have to check which on I have, but I purchased it close to release. Could explain why mine can get so loud.
The release day para were louder. The RDR2 edition ps4 pros were the first of the quieter units which were the 7200 units I believe.

Well I did some more research on the various PS4 model numbers. Mine is a CUH-1116A. It was the GTA V and Last of Us Remastered bundle console from 2014. This is part of the CUH-1100 line of PS4's. The CUH-1000 was the launch model number.
https://www.dualshockers.com/new-ps...odel-compared-differences-found-and-analyzed/
I believe the last "fat" PS4 model number was the cuh-1200. Meaning there were 3 "fat" PS4 model numbers: CUH-1000, 1100, 1200. After that came the slim and pro versions (and slim and pros have several different model numbers as well). I suspect the differences in fan noise has a lot to do with which model number AND version PS4 you have.

Well I did some more research on the various PS4 model numbers. Mine is a CUH-1116A. It was the GTA V and Last of Us Remastered bundle console from 2014. This is part of the CUH-1100 line of PS4's. The CUH-1000 was the launch model number.
https://www.dualshockers.com/new-ps...odel-compared-differences-found-and-analyzed/
I believe the last "fat" PS4 model number was the cuh-1200. Meaning there were 3 "fat" PS4 model numbers: CUH-1000, 1100, 1200. After that came the slim and pro versions (and slim and pros have several different model numbers as well). I suspect the differences in fan noise has a lot to do with which model number AND version PS4 you have.
Yeah, it's the same story with all consoles from the past few generations; they all have small revisions made on the same models throughout the years they're out and they generally get quieter and more power efficient as they move to smaller fabs on the SoC and/or improve the cooling solutions.

I'm pretty sure I have the first Pro SKU that was available since I got it like 6 months after it was released right before Horizon Zero Dawn was released. I remember it being significantly quieter than the base PS4 I had before that (not sure which SKU that was - probably the 1100 series since I got it a couple years after PS4 launched) still, but it would occasionally ramp up the fan and become loud when playing a Pro enhanced title like HZD was. The fan seemed to ramp up a bit more frequently over the years until I repasted it and seemingly fixed it completely.

I quit playing God of War and a couple other games because of the annoying racket of my PS4 Pro and sold the console to a friend.

Back