PS3 launch 2006 at Best Buy

The PS3 launch was probably the least hyped launch of any of them. At least in the US. The 360 stole a lot of its thunder and it was shockingly available compared to the craziness surrounding the PS2 and PS5. Even the PS4 at least had some momentum going into its launch.

Scalpers ruined the PS5 launch PS4 was wildey available but I hardly used mine I owed a Xbox for a year but sold it after playing Halo the bloom just killed my eyes but I bet I could tolerate it on a OLED

I owned both. I would turn on the PS and play a game and get bored. Xbox on the other hand, I would play a game and sit and chill on it. So much more to do. PS is boring. XB is multi thingy fun. I played the shit out of my xbox 360 on a 130inch projector screen in my ghetto apt. Was freaking awesome.

Good commercial though. Fun to see old stuff like that!

Last edited:
I was able to score a 20 GB PS3 a few days or so after launch. Tried to ebay it to make a buck and I think I literally only made $10 or so. Was too late to catch the initial wave of impatient buyers.
I owned both. I would turn on the PS and play a game and get bored. Xbox on the other hand, I would play a game and sit and chill on it. So much more to do. PS is boring. XB is multi thingy fun. I played the shit out of my xbox 360 on a 130inch projector screen in my ghetto apt. Was freaking awesome.

Yeah at that time MS main advantage really was its well established online service. Sony was still trying to figure that out.

Honestly I never had a issue buying any console in release. I even go one of the first batches of PS5 that went on sale on Amazon when released.

The PS3 did take a long time to gain its footing with a library of good software, while the Xbox 360 pretty much launched out of the gate with a bunch of strong titles. The 360 also had a head start on some strong multiplatform games like Oblivion that wouldn't come to the PS3 until a year later. Despite that, the PS3 turned out to have more longevity than the 360 did.

The PS3 launch was probably the least hyped launch of any of them. At least in the US. The 360 stole a lot of its thunder and it was shockingly available compared to the craziness surrounding the PS2 and PS5. Even the PS4 at least had some momentum going into its launch.

People were making fun of the Spider-Man font

I'll forever remember the pure chaos of the Playstation 2 launch. Online shopping wasn't like what it is now and the supply was super low. I used to scoff at the people pre-ordering consoles prior to that one. I kinda knew something was up when my Software Etc. EB and Babbage's stores were only taking a dozen pre-buys each. My college roommates and I staked out multiple 24-hour department stores and lines started forming at like 2PM. When it was all said and done there were people still trying to get a PS2 6 months after they went on sale. It was a whole lot like the PS5 minus the bots and with a whole lot more in-store brawls.

The thing is that was 17 years ago 17 years from now I'll be lucky to be around and I hardly got any enjoyment out of any of the consoles except the PS3.

nice find i worked at bestbuy when this console came out. We had 15 in store consoles an had a similar line. One of the consoles walked away. I cant imagine paying $700 for any console. I guess im not a "hardcore gamer".

nice find i worked at bestbuy when this console came out. We had 15 in store consoles an had a similar line. One of the consoles walked away. I cant imagine paying $700 for any console. I guess im not a "hardcore gamer".

PS2 was the last console I owned, from PS3 gen onward I was all "99% of the games I want are on PC and instead of a console that could go towards PC parts that could game and do more"

PS2 was my last Sony console as well....

I had a 360 (well, technically 3 because they kept dying) & an Xbox One.

But, as I've aged and come to realize my favorite genre's are strategy and action-rpg's; it became obvious PC-only was the best fit.

Granted, I have an Xbox One X controller that I love - for stuff like Elden Ring etc.

But, as I've aged and come to realize my favorite genre's are strategy and action-rpg's; it became obvious PC-only was the best fit.

Granted, I have an Xbox One X controller that I love - for stuff like Elden Ring etc.
that damn red ring of death?

I had 4x Xbox 360s but as Windows Media Center Extenders, literally never played a game on them. So that didn't count either lol

Came with free controllers for gaming on PC though, still using 360 controllers to this day because of that 👍

The 360/PS3 era was the last one with major league exclusives. For each console and ditto for not having a PC port. By the 2nd or 3rd year in, the PC was starting to get a good chunk of the major releases, even genres (like fighting and sports) that were unthinkable a few years prior. I didn't really even think about it much until I bought an Xbox One...and literally only bought like 3 games for it, ever. Sony's been smart about at least keeping a a handful of major exclusives around.

Yeah that guy doesn't obviously remember how we literally used to drag women around in chains back in ol' 2004
Yeah, and we forced them into bikinis for trade shows, they had no say in their chosen job at all. Just a couple of years ago we were like cavemen, knocking them out with wooden clubs and dragging them into our caves. Thank goodness we've moved on from such practices... right, Camberwell?

The 360/PS3 era was the last one with major league exclusives. For each console and ditto for not having a PC port. By the 2nd or 3rd year in, the PC was starting to get a good chunk of the major releases, even genres (like fighting and sports) that were unthinkable a few years prior. I didn't really even think about it much until I bought an Xbox One...and literally only bought like 3 games for it, ever. Sony's been smart about at least keeping a a handful of major exclusives around.
I only have 4 Xbox One games because the library sucked. PS4 had a much better selection and the games played better on it too. Pretty disappointing I was heavily invested in the Xbox 360 platform.

My 3 adult daughters would say that what you call feminism, they would call parity...

Equality and all is good, but what feminism is telling women is that they have this amazing ability to create life out of nothing, throw it out the window and focus on their career. Meanwhile men don't give a shit about her social status, education and to some degree, intelligence.
A 40-45 year old successful woman wants a man equal or better than her. A 40-45 successful alpha male doesn't want a 40-45 year old woman, he wants a 20-25 year old woman. And they want him as well, so your daughters with that thinking should prepare for a single, childless life with cats.

Equality and all is good, but what feminism is telling women is that they have this amazing ability to create life out of nothing, throw it out the window and focus on their career. Meanwhile men don't give a shit about her social status, education and to some degree, intelligence.
A 40-45 year old successful woman wants a man equal or better than her. A 40-45 successful alpha male doesn't want a 40-45 year old woman, he wants a 20-25 year old woman. And they want him as well, so your daughters with that thinking should prepare for a single, childless life with cats.
My wife is 29 and I’m 47. I feel like you’re talking about my relationship! I have a lot to say about this topic but I have a feeling the discussion belongs in General Mayhem if that’s still a thing around these parts. I took a couple decades off, used to go by 7718 from Spokanistan.

My wife is 29 and I’m 47. I feel like you’re talking about my relationship! I have a lot to say about this topic but I have a feeling the discussion belongs in General Mayhem if that’s still a thing around these parts. I took a couple decades off, used to go by 7718 from Spokanistan.

That's my plan. I'm 39 but I rarely date women above 30. Usually around 24-27.
I usually joke that my wife is not born yet :)

Back