PS2 Male to USB female converter

Morlock

Limp Gawd
My mobo has PS2 mouse and keyboard ports and I have USB mouse and USB keyboard. I'd like to free up two USB ports by using some kind of converter to plug my mouse and keyboard into those PS2 ports.

Trouble is, I bought the standard adapters:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5MYE72

And they didn't work. I rebooted like 10 times and the mobo never recognized them. Both lit up but never worked.

So I'm guessing that a standard adapter won't work, and I need some kind of converter? I'm not getting good results with Amazon searches.

Mobo: Z370P D3-CF
Keyboard: Redragon K552
Mouse: Logitech G300S

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I got three already. They can't keep up with my 13 external drives, lol. That's another reason I want to use the ps2 connections, so I get a more reliable connection and my kb and mouse won't drop out.

I'm guessing the PS2 port can't deliver enough power to the USB devices.

Says you have quite a few more internal USB 3.0 headers. Maybe you could use some of them.

Yeah I just bought a USB expansion card and got in in a few days ago, been putting off installing it.

Maybe you need a converter that has an integrated chip or internal electronics that can translate ps2 signal and convert it into a USB signal.

A motherboard that expects PS2 keyboard and mouse. (Hey, Doc Brown. Is this 1955?)
And you have 13 USB external drives? That's rubbish.

You need someone to re-architect that box.

The adapters you're buying are for dual-interface keyboards/mice. They are able to switch which protocol they use base on how they're connected to the system.

This may work for you. You'll probably lose some functionality of your keyboard (like the adjustable backlit keys), and I doubt the mouse will work at all.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Most keyboards and mice don't support ps2. The adapter doesn't change the signal being sent, the keyboard or mouse knows an adapter is being used and changes the signal itself. That functionality typically isn't included anymore.

A motherboard that expects PS2 keyboard and mouse. (Hey, Doc Brown. Is this 1955?)
And you have 13 USB external drives? That's rubbish.

You need someone to re-architect that box.
What's silly is how expensive it is to go beyond a mobo's SATA/whatever limits on hard drives any other way. They can keep their NAS devices, for those prices.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that my mobo expects ps2. AFAICT, it just doesn't seem up to the challenge of the number of USB drives/devices I have attached, is all.

Back