Proper backup of a DC with AD

f1y

Supreme [H]ardness
Proper backup protocol of a domain controller with DNS/DHCP/file server and active directory.

Thought of posting in Data Storage Systems, but this is more of a NetAdmin question.

mainly I want my windows install and active directory backed up. I'd hate to have to recreate it all if it went south.

I have a 136GB raid-1 for OS, and a 1.4tb raid-6 for files. OS is physically only around 40GBs of data, and the Files are only 1000GBs with user shares, and such.

10 disks total. 7 stripped in file, and 2 mirrored in os. 1 hot spare.

What's a proper way to backup the Windows Server 2003 enviroment?

Right now I come onsite early and drop the server at 3AM monday morning and image the system with Acronis. Is there a way to schedule this?

And I have windows backup, with BackupAssit backing up the files... BUT! it's a lot of files, and the backup runs about 36 hours. :/ so It's almost always running a backup on the domain controller.

What do I need to do?

I just have Lacie Quadra drives that I swap out for backups.

How Can I A: properly backup a windows server 2003 enviroment with AD roles.
and B: speed up my file backup

How often do the files get edited/changed and how often are new files added? It sounds like you should switch to an incremental backup during the week and then do a full backup on the weekends. It also might be wise to invest in a solution that can do a bare-metal restore, like R1Soft CDP or a similar product. That way if the server implodes, you can simply restore it back to the state at the time of the backup set.

Back