Project Thin-X, a custom mini PC case with discrete GPU build

CC Ricers

n00b
This build uses a case I designed and made myself. For now, it's called Project Thin-X, for Thin Mini-ITX with eXpansion card support.

Zwh-id54kt5Tfw7WXjVzGR-CEXgHtf4wQ4-DxfmBUD4.jpg

Imgur album:

https://imgur.com/a/Q0ABQiu

The construction is 3D printed (SLS) frame parts with acrylic panels. It's production ready and could fit both Mini-ITX (such for Ryzen APU builds) or Thin Mini-ITX with discrete GPU. It has interchangeable rear panels so it's like a 2-in-1 case for configurations.

The objective here is to put as much power and component support in the size of a mini gaming PC comparable to the size of a Alienware Alpha or some of the smaller Zotac Zbox Magnum systems. The main difference is that you can build with completely off-the-shelf parts. This case is very portable, easily usable to take your PC on the go.

Why would I use a discrete GPU? A 1050 or 1050 Ti is more powerful than the 2400G so I want to see how much power I could put in such a small case. It's a low-profile single slot card from ASL. I'd like to upgrade to the Ti version. But for now I have switched over to the Radeon Pro WX 4100 which about as small.

Here is a view with the WX 4100 installed.

Xy3y312.jpg

Build Specs:

Case specs:
  • Motherboard support: Mini-ITX, Thin Mini-ITX
  • Front panel I/O: Dual USB ports, vandal resistant power switch
  • Materials: 3D printed (SLS) plastic frame with acrylic side panels
  • Expansion slots: 1 slot low-profile (Thin Mini-ITX only)
  • Storage: 2x 2.5" hard drives
  • Power: internal DC-ATX with external AC adapter, possible AC-DC support (2 x 4 inch footprint)
  • Dimensions: 20cm x 20.3cm x 6.35cm (2.6 liter volume)
Other notes about the case:

Power button not installed yet, will use a vandal style switch with white LED (other colors also optional)

There are holes for front audio and USB 3.0 input on the front, but the front I/O panel I used couldn't fit well inside the case. I'm sticking with just one or two USB 2.0 front ports and making a new front panel for it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've been tempted to do something like this with my thin mini itx system. It's currently in the Silverstone pt13, which obviously doesn't allow a gpu. I bought a morex 557 with the intention of mounting a quadro p600 in a similar fashion to what you have and it was awful. The case felt barely finished. Only the outside was painted the interior was bare steel and the edges were as sharp as a scalpel.

The hardest part was finding a way to power the gpu as my gigabyte ga-q87tn can only supply max of 20w to the pcie x4 slot. There's a ton of powered risers available thanks to mining. But so many of them are garbage that are likely to fry a gpu.

I eventually gave up and said it was more trouble than it's worth, I returned the morex case, and the sketchy risers.

How are you powering your gpu? Or does your motherboard have a full pcie x16 slot with 75w power delivery?

Hi, CC Ricers!

I'm using same motherbard and Gigabyte support told that Pci-e x4 slot can provide only 25w power to graphics card. Did you have any issues with using 75w graphics card?

Reactions: Ej24
like this
Back