Professional Monitors advice

dexvx

[H]ard|Gawd
We have some extra expense money freed up and decided to allocate some to purchase new monitors. We're software developers using Linux/Windows and most people currently have 2-3 24" Dell Ultrasharp/HP equivalents @ 1920x1200.

We're looking at 27-30" 2560x1440 Dell Ultrasharps, but may be entertaining 4K options. Does anyone have experience with 4K for office use? Does anyone have any other recommendations? The budget is around $1000 per monitor and they must have vertical adjustment/VESA compatible.

So you're looking to buy monitors in bulk for business, and I assume tech support is a must, so I imagine you want something from Dell or HP?

If I'm limited to those two brands, then I'd choose the HP Z27i for it's top-notch color presets and semi-glossy coating. By comparison, the Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM has horrible quality control, image retention and cross-hatching which shows up extremely clearly on whites/text; also, the Dell Ultrasharp U2713H (different model) has incredibly strong overshoot ghosting which shows up while scrolling and moving windows on the desktop, and is extremely likely to give you a headache. I'll also throw in that the older Dell Ultrasharp U2711 had an incredibly grainy matte coating and is not suitable for working on text related content, or anything really, because of the resulting poor image clarity.

Also, I have no experience with 4k, but current 4k monitors are pretty poor and more than likely not suited to a work environment. Scaling is also a mess on windows, so I've heard; however, I'm not sure how well it works in GNU/Linux.

From all the things I've read about 4K, it looks pretty bad for development for the majority of people in its current state (hardware/software). So I was actually looking at the U2715H:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=210-ADKB

As far as support, we don't really bother with anything but baseline support/warranty for pretty much everything we order. I'm just most familiar with Dell/HP professional monitors, so that's why I started with those.

From all the things I've read about 4K, it looks pretty bad for development for the majority of people in its current state (hardware/software). So I was actually looking at the U2715H:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=210-ADKB

As far as support, we don't really bother with anything but baseline support/warranty for pretty much everything we order. I'm just most familiar with Dell/HP professional monitors, so that's why I started with those.

Gotcha, there's plenty of better 1440p choices, but with poor warranties in comparison to Dell and HP. Especially if buying direct, HP and Dell practically bend over backwards for you.

I can't say much about the U2715H as there's no real information on it. Though, with Dell monitors there's usually a high likelihood of some kind of strange issue that's totally exclusive to their monitors; also, they have poor quality control.

Make sure you buy SMB or equivalent. HP's SMB service is top-notch IME.

Gotcha, there's plenty of better 1440p choices, but with poor warranties in comparison to Dell and HP. Especially if buying direct, HP and Dell practically bend over backwards for you.

What are the brands/models you speak of? I see BenQ being listed a lot here.

Back