Problem typing with mouse

videobruce

Limp Gawd
I'm having a huge problem when I type to the extent I spend more correcting the mistypes then I do typing the the sentence.
What is happening is my second finger is hitting the right button (on a standard mouse) and bring up the context menu. Is here a mouse with a shorter right click button were it's harder to hit that button.

Hope that made sense.

Uh, why is your hand on the mouse while you're typing? Two hands on the wheel keyboard, problem solved.

Apple made a ton of mice where it was impossible to click the right button ;p

no it doesnt make sense, you dont type with a mouse. unless youre using an on screen keyboard which you dont mention at all, and that isnt really "typing"...

Sounds like you are on laptop but you mention mouse. If you are on a laptop maybe you there is a button or hotkey to disable it when you are typing.
I know one of my HP's had the feature, double tap on the top left corner would disable the touchpad and buttons.

No Laptop, a tower.
Hand is on the mouse tor reposition of the cursor to correct typos.

If you have a logitech mouse (and I imagine others) you could in their "manager" set the right mouse button to other option.

You could also disable in windows right click and reput it, which is a bit complicated for some typo workload.

An english corrector that let you correct the word by clicking on them and picking the good one would maybe be ideal here.

Did you know you can use control, shift, and arrow keys for quick cursor movements?
This. Also home and end.

Use two hands, and look at the screen. Then you never get more than a couple letters past errors and a couple quick backspace taps.

Normally I try not to knock anyone about how they do stuff as long as it works for them, but I am surprised you're actually managing to use the mouse to precisely place the cursor and maintain typing speed. I wasn't able to cut it.

I'm not going to just change your ways, but I will ask - and no sarcasm intended - do you know about the following: home, end, page up/down, and especially shift+arrow keys, shift+home, shift+end?
Asking because that is the basic set of keys that should allow you to edit text FAST, and it might also affect your overall stress levels if this is work. Constantly moving your hand between the mouse and keyboard can be tiring. If you do know these keys, and simply prefer your way, please disregard.

I just ordered two different mice that are not the custom design. I wil see if they work for my problem.

When I use both of my feet my typing rate increases, but so does my typo rate. Is there something wrong with my keyboard? I dunno guyz, I'm starting to think my keyboard wasn't designed to be used with my toes.

I also tried placing my mouse on my keyboard and typing like that, but it doesn't work as well as my toes or my nose. Do I need two mice? What's the best kind of mouse to use on a keyboard?

Normally I try not to knock anyone about how they do stuff as long as it works for them, but I am surprised you're actually managing to use the mouse to precisely place the cursor and maintain typing speed. I wasn't able to cut it.

I'm not going to just change your ways, but I will ask .
I have to respect this stance, most of the time. But I'm afraid this is less like trying to force a left handed person to write with their right hand, and more like telling someone they can't drive by pushing the gas pedal with their hand while trying to see forwards with a mirror.

Unless OP is in someway disabled or missing fingers. If that's the case then I can't relate or help at all. I'd be surprised if someone didn't make some kind of accessibility keyboard.

I have to respect this stance, most of the time. But I'm afraid this is less like trying to force a left handed person to write with their right hand, and more like telling someone they can't drive by pushing the gas pedal with their hand while trying to see forwards with a mirror.

Unless OP is in someway disabled or missing fingers. If that's the case then I can't relate or help at all. I'd be surprised if someone didn't make some kind of accessibility keyboard.

I was thinking some sort of disability which is why I asked why he isn't using two hands. But he could just be a stuborn person that refused to learn how to type properly.

I guess we'll just have to wait for his response as he types it at 5 words per hour.

It got weirder when he stated he is clicking his cursor around as he types, it makes me want to see a video of what he's actually doing. I've seen a guy that is paralyzed from the neck down that types using a stick he holds with his mouth. He even plays StarCraft 2 half-decent like that.

I've seen a guy that is paralyzed from the neck down that types using a stick he holds with his mouth. He even plays StarCraft 2 half-decent like that.
It's shit like that which I find most amazing about people. Thanks for this share, faith in humanity ticks up a tiny bit.

A bit later on I remembered something - there are many poorly designed programs that require a lot of input, like in data entry, where you indeed have to constantly be using your mouse to navigate a form (because it doesn't auto-skip fields and does not have hotkeys).

Subtitling videos comes to mind, like when I have to use Aegisub. It has hotkeys out the ass, but when I launch it after a year of not having to use it, I have to make a decision between re-learning the hotkeys or just getting the task done with mouse+keyboard (a case of task optimization taking more time than to do it the 'slower' way).

Maybe it's that sort of situation.

Come over and type for me smart ass, ever hear of Parkinson's?
Well, you didn't mention it, so not really. More information really helps.

Anyway, I did an internet search, and they recommended you get big balls, and hide the mouse buttons behind them to make it harder to click by accident. (External switches shown not included).

You might want a keyboard with larger keys too.

Back