Prescott .13, RDRAM

CentronMe

2[H]4U
Posting for a good laugh. I found this on The Reg.

Return of the Son of Willamette
By: Andrew Thomas
Posted: 06/07/2000 at 10:54 GMT
The Register Mobile: Find out what the fuss is about. Take the two week trial today.

Intel's 479 pin son of Willamette, due for launch next year, now has its very own codename, Prescott. A die shrink from 0.18 to 0.13 micron, Prescott and its associated Tulloch chipset are expected to support both synchronous and Rambus memory. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/11789.html

:D :p

huh, so that means prescott has been under the magnifying glass for well over 3 years. intel threw money at a loser it looks like and couldn't admit it.

ROFL shows how times change. Since RDRAM runs so hot, it'd just add more to the overall challenge of extracting heat as quickly as possible from a Prescott system.

Thanks for the trip back in time :D

Originally posted by jeef
huh, so that means prescott has been under the magnifying glass for well over 3 years. intel threw money at a loser it looks like and couldn't admit it.

How exactly is it a loser?

I still run RDRAM in this PC I am using now. The same PC I use for my daily gaming and whatever else. I think it's pretty good tech, just not a good company.

Originally posted by EarthwormJim
i'd say thermal issues alone show how poor the chip is... and that's after a die shrink. more heat in less area.

Originally posted by EarthwormJim
It's not a winner, even against Intel's own desktop lineup, and it's power hungry and hot.

the pally can't hold a candle to the olympic torch that is Intel's latest monster.

(on a side note, I hope intel fixes these problems with the next stepping, but until then, I will be laughing at them)

Yea..a friend of mine got a 3rd degree burn from touching the side of his heatsink fan on his prescott machine. :eek:

/end sarcasm

Originally posted by SuperSubZero
I still run RDRAM in this PC I am using now. The same PC I use for my daily gaming and whatever else. I think it's pretty good tech, just not a good company.

That pretty much sums it up. The technology is superior to that of DDR, but the company should've approached the market differently. Instead of suing everyone, they should've made friends... ;)

and that is why xdr ram, despite its huge benefits on the tech front, probably will never get to market in any mass means, because rambus has made way to many enemies.

Check out my specs... I love it! Then again the system I upgraded from was a 133mhz SDRAM system

Originally posted by Merlin45
Prescott is intel's response to central heating.

I love it, that will end up as sig material soon. :D

Originally posted by Pappy
Check out my specs... I love it! Then again the system I upgraded from was a 133mhz SDRAM system.

Um, so. Whats your point. We care? :rolleyes:

Back