Powering 12VDC Monitor from PSU ?

MindBuster

2[H]4U
So I found this old Viewsonic VG512s 15" (1024x768) monitor that runs on 12V and I want to run it from a computer PSU, that's doable isnt it ?

The monitor says 12VDC 3Amps which any PSU can deliver on the 12V rail, so it's just tapping the power from a Molex, Yellow 12V going to the mid pin of the Monitor DC jack, and a black wire from the molex going to the shell/shield of the Monitor DC jack, and it should run fine...

...shouldnt it ?

(just making sure :p )

I am not an electrician but 12VDC is 12VDC as long as your PSU is up to the task.

You could power the monitor off a battery of sufficient specs.

That is correct!
Though next to the 12v In, there may be a diagram outlining if the tip or shield is positive. Also, the adaptor will have this info.

Make sure you know where the positive and the negative is on the dc jack. Usually the positive is the inner one, but sometimes it can be reversed.

Multimeter won't tell you what's positive and negative on the monitor though. But if you had the original power adapter, you could figure it out.

I dont have the original powerbrick, but I have the monitor taken apart, so should be easy to locate positive, negative would be connected to alot of points and cover a big area of the pcb, positive probably only one point.

Back