PowerColor Confirms Manufacturing Problem with Some Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX GPUs Leading to High Temperatures

Bankie

2[H]4U
https://www.thefpsreview.com/2023/0...x-7900-xtx-gpus-leading-to-high-temperatures/
Igor’s Lab has received a statement from PowerColor that can confirm some of its Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics cards may exhibit higher than normal temperatures due to a manufacturing oversight. The issue seems to stem from the way that the thermal compound was applied, which, per an investigation from Igor Wallossek, suggests potential discrepancies of up to a “full 30 Kelvin temperature difference.

Looks like they're willing to fix it so good on PowerColor for identifying the issue and making it right.

Last edited:
I read it. So, ppl contact them and then what happens?

So, ppl are expected to take apart the card themselves and fix it (themselves)? Yes, some ppl may be willing to but I suspect there will be those who won't be.
I guess we might find out. The fact that they owned up to it and opened a channel for those affected gives them some good will (IMO). If people take advantage of it and PowerColor drops the ball so be it. But if they rectify it relatively painlessly then maybe I'll look harder at them for the next upgrade.

The poor 7900XTX just catch a break. First AMD had the vapor chamber debacle, now they have Red devil doing a "hold my beer" maneuver. If I were in the market for a GPU, I wouldn't feel to confident about 7900XTX's with the issues that keep popping up. 😞

Like anything, especially for what modern GPUs cost, just purchase from a vendor with a good return policy or get a used card from a reputable seller that’s proven to work fine.

Hopefully PowerColor offers a replacement for those who are not inclined to re-paste a gpu themselves.

Last edited:
My brother has a Red Devil 7900XTX and was experiencing these exact issues. There had been a handful of users reporting over the internet for months but it's nice to see someone actually investigated into the issue. After my brother found this article he just removed the HSF and repasted. No exaggeration the junction Temps dropped 19-20C. Problem fixed.

The poor 7900XTX just catch a break. First AMD had the vapor chamber debacle, now they have Red devil doing a "hold my beer" maneuver. If I were in the market for a GPU, I wouldn't feel to confident about 7900XTX's with the issues that keep popping up. 😞

Yet your good with a 4090 melting down. You just hate anything AMD and white knight for Nvidia. Perhaps you have all that time to rant on AMD because you have 1 of those 8GB Nvidia cards and new games keep crashing on it or run poorly due to the lack of Vram despite all that money you paid for it. You really need a new hobby other then trolling AMD threads.

Glad to see PowerColor step up and address the issue and luckily it's a pretty minor issue that can even be resolved without shipping the card back if you want.

Yet your good with a 4090 melting down.

Haven't seen a 4090 melt down built by someone who actually makes sure everything in connected properly. Have you?

As for the rest of the bile in your reply. Getting tired of the low IQ replies to me to be honest.

Last edited:
Haven't seen a 4090 melt down built by someone who actually makes sure everything in connected properly. Have you?

As for the rest of the bile in your reply. Getting tired of the IQ replies to me to be honest.
I've seen someone swear up and down a melted 4090 connector reddit post that they had it firmly seated.

Ofc, the pictures that they provided clearly show the telltale uneven white marks (left to right) of a not fully seated 12+4 pin connector. It's a shitty design that doesn't have much, if any, of an audible click when inserting the connector. This is coming from someone who waited to purchase my 4090 until after Gamers Nexus did their in-depth analysis video.

Yet your good with a 4090 melting down. You just hate anything AMD and white knight for Nvidia. Perhaps you have all that time to rant on AMD because you have 1 of those 8GB Nvidia cards and new games keep crashing on it or run poorly due to the lack of Vram despite all that money you paid for it. You really need a new hobby other then trolling AMD threads.

snip
Irony...

I've seen someone swear up and down a melted 4090 connector reddit post that they had it firmly seated.

Ofc, the pictures that they provided clearly show the telltale uneven white marks (left to right) of a not fully seated 12+4 pin connector. It's a shitty design that doesn't have much, if any, of an audible click when inserting the connector. This is coming from someone who waited to purchase my 4090 until after Gamers Nexus did their in-depth analysis video.
I was discussing this issue with a friend recently and we believe we may have one possible cause. If your wiring is nice and tight, so as to minimize hanging clutter but then you out your back panel cover on if it binds at all it may tug that connector just enough to make it melt down. PC gaming can feel like a mine field sometimes, between the motherboards and X3D CPU’s conspiring to set themselves on fire to the melting or Nvidia 40 series cards, it’s a jungle out there. Surely not a good excuse to attack each other over brands of course.

I read it. So, ppl contact them and then what happens?

So, ppl are expected to take apart the card themselves and fix it (themselves)? Yes, some ppl may be willing to but I suspect there will be those who won't be.

Support will probably ask if you're comfortable doing that or want an RMA. Rather than risk you unwittingly shorting the surface mount parts with a conductive paste, I suspect they'll mail you a small tube/packet of non-conductive stuff to use for the repair.

I am concerned that AMD is having problems "competing" without going to huge power limits. It's different when you're up against Intel's large nanometer nodes and can get boosts by using superior fabs.

Nvidia has definitely got the efficiency edge. While a high end Nvidia card can pull some watts, it's mostly under very heavy loads, and even then, it beats AMD.

I don't have a good feeling moving forward about AMD's ability to compete directly with Nvidia in the GPU market (yes, I know that "cheaper" matters, but can AMD be the loss leader and survive?). And longer term, have a feeling AMD is going to face similar problems against Intel down the road. Hoping AMD isn't "sitting" like that did in their dual cores days.... R&D is going to be critical for them right now IMHO.

With that said, a place that is somewhat "ignored" and non-applicable (really) is iGPU/APU. And AMD has "something" right now. In fact, many are saying the low end market might not be interesting anymore dGPU wise because of this. My fear here is that Xe (or whatever) of Intel will trounce AMD in the coming year or so. If new pre-builts with Intel come with effective dGPU like performance for less (even if that means an Arc is delivered inside) than anything Ryzen made (which is close to dGPU, but not quite), it will be a game changer. Enthusiasts won't care, but you have to realize how much volume (money) is there.

Dear AMD, you have a huge mountain to climb right now... hope you can see it. AMD has a tendency to "relax" when they think everything is going well, and then they crash (massively). Crash is coming if you do the "norm". IMHO.

I am concerned that AMD is having problems "competing" without going to huge power limits. It's different when you're up against Intel's large nanometer nodes and can get boosts by using superior fabs.

Nvidia has definitely got the efficiency edge. While a high end Nvidia card can pull some watts, it's mostly under very heavy loads, and even then, it beats AMD.

I don't have a good feeling moving forward about AMD's ability to compete directly with Nvidia in the GPU market (yes, I know that "cheaper" matters, but can AMD be the loss leader and survive?). And longer term, have a feeling AMD is going to face similar problems against Intel down the road. Hoping AMD isn't "sitting" like that did in their dual cores days.... R&D is going to be critical for them right now IMHO.

With that said, a place that is somewhat "ignored" and non-applicable (really) is iGPU/APU. And AMD has "something" right now. In fact, many are saying the low end market might not be interesting anymore dGPU wise because of this. My fear here is that Xe (or whatever) of Intel will trounce AMD in the coming year or so. If new pre-builts with Intel come with effective dGPU like performance for less (even if that means an Arc is delivered inside) than anything Ryzen made (which is close to dGPU, but not quite), it will be a game changer. Enthusiasts won't care, but you have to realize how much volume (money) is there.

Dear AMD, you have a huge mountain to climb right now... hope you can see it. AMD has a tendency to "relax" when they think everything is going well, and then they crash (massively). Crash is coming if you do the "norm". IMHO.
Pppl think 'AMD is less evil or greedy' when they're just as bad as nvidia. They had/have hot spot problems with the 7900 XT and high power consumption - then there are the cards you need to repaste. They provided amble VRAM on many of their higher tier cards and unlike Nvidia, they seem to not gimp/cut down their cards as much. However, they're not as efficient as you say and their dedication to Compute or extra features is almost non-existent - it's very minimal - like they are just trying to do the minimum and put all their eggs into providing for the gaming community. It's really disappointing.

Nvidia leads with power efficiency but they gimp a lot of their cards - and it would be good if AMD or Intel was a worthwhile competitor and could offer ppl who want more than just gaming cards.

Pppl think 'AMD is less evil or greedy' when they're just as bad as nvidia. They had/have hot spot problems with the 7900 XT and high power consumption - then there are the cards you need to repaste. They provided amble VRAM on many of their higher tier cards and unlike Nvidia, they seem to not gimp/cut down their cards as much. However, they're not as efficient as you say and their dedication to Compute or extra features is almost non-existent - it's very minimal - like they are just trying to do the minimum and put all their eggs into providing for the gaming community. It's really disappointing.

Nvidia leads with power efficiency but they gimp a lot of their cards - and it would be good if AMD or Intel was a worthwhile competitor and could offer ppl who want more than just gaming cards.
Thinking out loud and maybe Nividia is so "king" they don't care, but they could do a lot of damage with some price cuts (talking more than the nickel and dime they are doing now). But, it's a weird world. In a way, Nvidia can't damage AMD because they are required for "competition", etc. Much like the relationship with AMD and Intel on the CPU side. Competition must be present or else it gets worse (for Intel, Nvidia for example). So, my enemy is also my friend.

Back