Power drop of 7nm?

Epyon

[H]ard|Gawd
I live in a old house and some times my step dad likes to run his heater and if i run mine as well it trips the breaker. I never run it now. How ever I was wondering what do you think the power drop will be when Nvidia drops down to the next node? 20% or more? I would love to run 2 or 3 video cards for Octane render

I live in a old house and some times my step dad likes to run his heater and if i run mine as well it trips the breaker. I never run it now. How ever I was wondering what do you think the power drop will be when Nvidia drops down to the next node? 20% or more? I would love to run 2 or 3 video cards for Octane render

Any power-savings due to going from 12nm to 7nm will be used for higher performance...you should not expect that is will be used for lower overall power consumption.

Any power-savings due to going from 12nm to 7nm will be used for higher performance...you should not expect that is will be used for lower overall power consumption.
Yep expect to keep Similar power specs for each level of card. You will just get more for the same power. The power saving would be more for laptops the desktops.

would be nice if every generation someone used the die shrink to keep the same (roughly) speed bracket but use that shrink to drop power use way down .. imagine a Vega voltage tuned and die shrunk (same exact shader / CU / rop / TMU etc as current, just do the damn shrink)

I know they tend to "not waste silicon" so they pretty much always save a wee bit of power but use the shrink to stuff more shit under the hood thereby "seeming" to end up using more power.

a non cut down but die shrunk "product" would be great, for folks like you (many others) that are on the edge of their power system or others who want great performance without killing bank/power limits.

likely have to look for something that uses a bit less power OR get a few external battery type setup (like you going off grid with solar panels) that is, the power system will charge the batteries, the battery via inverter etc feeds your system, need longer run time or more volt/amp..add more battery to the stack.

would be nice if every generation someone used the die shrink to keep the same (roughly) speed bracket but use that shrink to drop power use way down

Because most people like to buy products and end at the same performance ?
nobody is stopping you from buying a newcard and downclocking/ down volting it to keep in the same speed bracket.
You are creating a problem in your head that is not there in the real world.

Because most people like to buy products and end at the same performance ?
nobody is stopping you from buying a newcard and downclocking/ down volting it to keep in the same speed bracket.
You are creating a problem in your head that is not there in the real world.

yes, is ONLY a problem in my head, not once did they ever have issues with overheat etc because they stuff too much crap that not need be there (generally speaking)

you think maybe, just maybe, some folks (not only me, but laptop makers etc) would just love "same level of performance but huge drop in power consumption (as well as reduction in heat)

There was no need for $1200+ Consumer level graphics cards, till there was, in this case Energy Efficient products always are "worth having" as they can upsell for more than they actually cost, much like slapping Organic on most anything you can slap a higher price tag.

would be nice if every generation someone used the die shrink to keep the same (roughly) speed bracket but use that shrink to drop power use way down .. imagine a Vega voltage tuned and die shrunk (same exact shader / CU / rop / TMU etc as current, just do the damn shrink)

I know they tend to "not waste silicon" so they pretty much always save a wee bit of power but use the shrink to stuff more shit under the hood thereby "seeming" to end up using more power.

a non cut down but die shrunk "product" would be great, for folks like you (many others) that are on the edge of their power system or others who want great performance without killing bank/power limits.

likely have to look for something that uses a bit less power OR get a few external battery type setup (like you going off grid with solar panels) that is, the power system will charge the batteries, the battery via inverter etc feeds your system, need longer run time or more volt/amp..add more battery to the stack.
You can always underclock the new die-shrunk card, or buy a card that's one tier down. Underclocking as a means of moving to the left on the power/performance curve is pretty common with GPU crypto miners. It turns out, you can get about 90 percent of the performance at 75% of the power consumption by underclocking a lot of 10 series cards, at least in the algorithms that a lot of Crypto mining requires.

yes, is ONLY a problem in my head, not once did they ever have issues with overheat etc because they stuff too much crap that not need be there (generally speaking)

you think maybe, just maybe, some folks (not only me, but laptop makers etc) would just love "same level of performance but huge drop in power consumption (as well as reduction in heat)

There was no need for $1200+ Consumer level graphics cards, till there was, in this case Energy Efficient products always are "worth having" as they can upsell for more than they actually cost, much like slapping Organic on most anything you can slap a higher price tag.

again if yo suggstion is for the card to come out with lower power./ and you can make that happen... the problem is only in your head.
You missed the entire point: The solutions that you are asking for IS there.

A lower tier of a new generation tends to have near the same performance as a higher tier of the previous gen (e.g. 1070 performing about like a 980Ti). So if you want the same performance but lower power, look at the next tier down.

Those $1200 graphics cards also fund the R&D for the next generation GPU's
More performance for the same wattage.

And like other people stated, you can downclock your card.

Ever since Maxwell, nvidia has been very efficient when going on performance/watt, it was much faster and drew much less power than Fermi. Pascal also increased performance while dropping wattage a little and now turing also increased performance with only a mild increase in power usage.

AMD is, lets say not as good. With only now Navi being faster than Vega at lower power. And its also more power efficient as Vega VII despite being on the same process.

BTW dropping the voltage on Vega is very popular, temps and power are decreased quite a bit and you get pretty much the same performance.

Find a socket on a different circuit and run an extension cord to the nearest heater. Or have an electrician come in and add a couple of circuits, it's not very expensive, a couple hundred bucks.

Back