Posting issues Last day or Two?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Has anyone else had issues?

The forums seem to have intermittent issues for me the last couple of days, of increasing magnitude.

Hitting "like" or posting a comment sometimes goes into an eternal loop with progress bars and nothing happening.

Clicking reload, and doing it again usually solves the issue.

I'm not seeing this on any other sites.

Is anyone else having issues?

Nothing here or no other reports of issues.

Has anyone else had issues?

The forums seem to have intermittent issues for me the last couple of days, of increasing magnitude.

Hitting "like" or posting a comment sometimes goes into an eternal loop with progress bars and nothing happening.

Clicking reload, and doing it again usually solves the issue.

I'm not seeing this on any other sites.

Is anyone else having issues?

Yes. Earlier today the forum would throw out an error message when you tried to load any links in the site. After about 2 hours of the error pages it eventually worked it's self out.

nope. try clearing your cache.

Yeah, tried that, no effect.

Also tried running browser (Firefox) without any plugins to see if they were causing any problems. That didn't resolve it either.

All pages load nice and quick. The issue happens when you try to interract with them. Post a reply or like a post. It's like writing is problematic.

I can get around it by reloading the page and quickly posting.

Going to try a different browser to see if it is browser related.

Yeah, tried that, no effect.

Also tried running browser (Firefox) without any plugins to see if they were causing any problems. That didn't resolve it either.

All pages load nice and quick. The issue happens when you try to interract with them. Post a reply or like a post. It's like writing is problematic.

I can get around it by reloading the page and quickly posting.

Going to try a different browser to see if it is browser related.
When I've had issues like this in the past (on other sites) it was usually caused by a script or iframe loading content, and that blocked other content until it finished or timed out.

When I've had issues like this in the past (on other sites) it was usually caused by a script or iframe loading content, and that blocked other content until it finished or timed out.

Hmm.

Wonder if it is the pfSense piehole equivalent (pfBlockerNG) that is causing trouble.

Edited for typos

Last edited:
Nothing here or no other reports of issues.

I report this also!
I use Firefox and I just did a profile clean AKA new profile just saving my bookmarks as this was an issue on other sites as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-05 at 19-25-12 Posting issues Last day or Two .png
    Screenshot 2021-11-05 at 19-25-12 Posting issues Last day or Two .png
    401.8 KB · Views: 1
Yes. Earlier today the forum would throw out an error message when you tried to load any links in the site. After about 2 hours of the error pages it eventually worked it's self out.
Screenshot please.
I haven't seen any error logs this week.

Wonder if it is the pfSense pihpöe equivalent (pfBloxkerNG) that is causing trouble.
Could it have ad-block support also?
Might be due to some amazon or similar affiliate links.

as this was an issue on other sites as well.
Could be an issue with Firefox only.

No changes or update on HF since few weeks.
I'll keep on observing for now.

I have the same problem. When trying to reply or post a yellow flashing bar and icon appears on top of the window. And if I'm lucky the post gets sent within 2-3 minutes, if not it is never posted.

PS: I have adblockers turned off for this site, so it's not that.

I have the same problem. When trying to reply or post a yellow flashing bar and icon appears on top of the window. And if I'm lucky the post gets sent within 2-3 minutes, if not it is never posted.

The same but if I hit fr (refresh) the thing goes away and I can click like or post reply but ONLY with F5 first.

I just had similar issues as well just now. Preview and Post are usually near instantaneous, but I got the gold "working" bar for over a minute before a Preview or Post went thru.

Edit: Forum navigation is instantaneous just Previewing and Posting are slow?

The same but if I hit fr (refresh) the thing goes away and I can click like or post reply but ONLY with F5 first.

I just had similar issues as well just now. Preview and Post are usually near instantaneous, but I got the gold "working" bar for over a minute before a Preview or Post went thru.

Edit: Forum navigation is instantaneous just Previewing and Posting are slow?
RoldanLT

Please post OS and version. Browser and version. Device being used, and a full screenshot please when you see issues. It will help us greatly figure out what is going on.

Desktop PC, Windows 10 Pro 20H2, Firefox 94.0.1 x64 A screenshot would look exactly the same as the one Format_C: already posted.

Desktop PC, Windows 10 Pro 20H2, Firefox 94.0.1 x64 A screenshot would look exactly the same as the one Format_C: already posted.

Same here.

It happen on a different site too. Hmm.

Could be an issue with Firefox only.

I'm staring to suspect this is the case.

I have seen some murmuring around the web that Firefox may have pushed a bad update that messes with some sites (but only some sites)

I'm experiencing the same issue that has been described here.

Windows 11 22000.282. Firefox 94.0.1 (64-bit). I'll update with screenshot the next time it happens, but it looks just like the screenshot that was posted earlier.

Edit: Happened right when trying to post this.

Attachments

• hardforum.png
    hardforum.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 1
I use Firefox and I just did a profile clean AKA new profile just saving my bookmarks as this was an issue on other sites as well.
Same here.

It happen on a different site too. Hmm.
I have seen some murmuring around the web that Firefox may have pushed a bad update that messes with some sites (but only some sites)
Windows 11 22000.282. Firefox 94.0.1 (64-bit). I'll update with screenshot the next time it happens, but it looks just like the screenshot that was posted earlier.

Please if possible try with Chrome?
I really can't replicate the issue using Chrome and Safari on MAC.

RoldanLT

Please post OS and version. Browser and version. Device being used, and a full screenshot please when you see issues. It will help us greatly figure out what is going on.
Doh!
{I thought I posted this message yesterday but came back today and my reply is still sitting here waiting to be posted. Sorry about that.}

I CAN NO LONGER POST OR START A CONVERSATION WITH FIREFOX. USING EDGE NOW.

I did notice today that the delay is exactly 60 seconds. (+ or -) 1 second. Like some type of anti-spam filter. Aka wait x seconds before completing operation.

-----what I wanted to post yesterday-----

I'm not getting any error message to screenshot, just the golden "working" bars (like the screenshots above) that I normally never see as all board functioning is usually just instantaneous. Previewing, Posting, or Liking posts result in a 60 second delay then sometimes do not even complete. Board navigation, browsing, scrolling are instantaneous with no issues.

Tried two machines one Win7pro_64 (7601) and one Win10pro_64 (21H1). Both browsing with latest Firefox build 94.0.1 (64 bit) all privacy/adblock/tracker plugins disables for hardforum.com. Website data and cache cleared.

Edit: test

Last edited:
Yeah, it appears as if Firefox 94 is the issue.

As to why? Who knows.

I'm still sticking with it, hoping for a fix. I can' still post, as long as I refresh the page and immediately click post (quickly copying and pasting my typed comment.)

The loading problems on this forum have been crazy bad today. I'm unable to use PMs anymore and even browsing regular threads I'm lucky if they'll ever load most of the time.

The loading problems on this forum have been crazy bad today. I'm unable to use PMs anymore and even browsing regular threads I'm lucky if they'll ever load most of the time.

are you using the new firfox too? try another browser, edge is working perfectly for me.

While Firefox 94 definitely seems to blame here, it is odd that it only seems to be affecting the Hardforums, and not other Xenforo based forums I frequent.

While Firefox 94 definitely seems to blame here, it is odd that it only seems to be affecting the Hardforums, and not other Xenforo based forums I frequent.
We are not putting any resources into tracking this down any further. Sorry, but we can't simply spend all our time running down these issues with specific browsers.

Just upgraded from 93 to 95 (both beta). I'm now experiencing the issue described here. Should probably report it to moz if it's not already.
ok 96 :) yeah, id report it. other than the usual 8:03pm pause, i have zero issues on edge.

Try turning "enhanced tracking protection" (lock icon in nav bar) off, seems to have helped me. Wasn't an issue before, so they must've changed something.

Edit: still seems to hang even with it disabled

Last edited:
Just upgraded from 93 to 95 (both beta). I'm now experiencing the issue described here. Should probably report it to moz if it's not already.
Agreed.

I have been thinking about reporting it to them as well.

I'm just not sure what I am reporting yet. Reporting it as a "delay/timeout" on some sites seems insufficiently detailed for them to do anything with it.

I noticed an occasional issue with Firefox 94.0.1. I don't have an adblocker enabled for this site, and my only plugin is my password manager.

I grabbed some debug logs; In this case I noticed that the ajax request for a post like appeared to use an http:// endpoint instead of https:// (in this case, the request took ~117 sec to complete; golden bars during the request).

When this occurs, I noticed that I can refresh the page, and then likes will complete instantly. I can even open a new tab, and requests will complete instantly, but the stalled request will continue to take 30 - 120 sec to complete. (this seems to indicate it's not likely a database performance issue)

Slow request:
1636588506226.png

vs a normal performance request:
1636588709286.png

As I was typing this post I thought maybe I'd grab the actual request headers when this occurs and see if it's really sending to an http:// endpoint, and I don't think it is:
1636589768352.png

And here's the request for the first failure and the second success (likes on the same post)

Code:
https://hardforum.com/posts/1045185432/react?reaction_id=1

POST /posts/1045185432/react?reaction_id=1 HTTP/1.1
Host: hardforum.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:94.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/94.0
Accept: application/json, text/javascript, */*; q=0.01
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, br
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded; charset=UTF-8
Content-Length: 171
X-Requested-With: XMLHttpRequest
Origin: https://hardforum.com
DNT: 1
Sec-Fetch-Dest: empty
Sec-Fetch-Mode: cors
Sec-Fetch-Site: same-origin
Referer: https://hardforum.com/threads/political-memes-love-em-or-hate-em.1916190/page-2249
Connection: keep-alive
Cookie: xf_emoji_usage=%3Ab

While editing this post, I ran into similar appearing issues, but at the end of the timeout, the action was aborted, rather than completing. In the case of the likes, it appears that the backend action does actually complete.

1636590161280.png

I am also having trouble with Firefox.....I frequently have to reload a page before being able to post or send a PM. I also was not able to enable 2FA. I went to Microsoft Edge and no issue there.

Try turning "enhanced tracking protection" (lock icon in nav bar) off, seems to have helped me. Wasn't an issue before, so they must've changed something.

Edit: still seems to hang even with it disabled

Same here.

Yup it sucks, a orange/tan line that does the Knight Rider swoop across the top of the screen like it's trying to load or process something. If I walk away from the computer it may resolve itself, or I just hit F5 and do whatever it was I was doing and it works fine. Happens whenever I try to quote someone in a reply and when I click reply.

I did a little bit of sleuthing with Firefox 94.0.1 (windows) TLS logging and wireshark, but I've also seen issues on Firefox 94.1.2 on Android. This seems to be a problem with TLS 1.3 0-rtt data and Firefox. If you set security.tls.enable_0rtt_data in about:config to false, it looks like it resolves the issue in my testing.

From what I'm seeing, if you do anything that tries to post to hardforum.com when there's no active connection, Firefox will open a new connection with TLS 1.3 and some 0-RTT http/2 stuff, and then kind of sit around until the server tells it to go away, and only then does it try to send the POST; that obviously doesn't work because the server told them to go away already. I'm pretty versed in TLS 1.3, I don't know very much about http/2, but this looks like Firefox doing something dumb. I didn't find anything like this in the mozilla bugzilla, so I'm guessing nobody else has figured this out yet, and I'm on the hook to write up a bug report; joy.

If the hardforums admins wanted to "fix" this, I'd guess they could turn off TLS 1.3 0-rtt (aka early data), but that would need to be done for all browsers because it's somewhere between very hard and impossible to determine browser identity in the TLS handshake, and that's where it needs to be done, and I'm guessing they turned it on for a reason; 0-rtt should help performance a bit and AFAIK, it's not a default setting.

I did a little bit of sleuthing with Firefox 94.0.1 (windows) TLS logging and wireshark, but I've also seen issues on Firefox 94.1.2 on Android. This seems to be a problem with TLS 1.3 0-rtt data and Firefox. If you set security.tls.enable_0rtt_data in about:config to false, it looks like it resolves the issue in my testing.

From what I'm seeing, if you do anything that tries to post to hardforum.com when there's no active connection, Firefox will open a new connection with TLS 1.3 and some 0-RTT http/2 stuff, and then kind of sit around until the server tells it to go away, and only then does it try to send the POST; that obviously doesn't work because the server told them to go away already. I'm pretty versed in TLS 1.3, I don't know very much about http/2, but this looks like Firefox doing something dumb. I didn't find anything like this in the mozilla bugzilla, so I'm guessing nobody else has figured this out yet, and I'm on the hook to write up a bug report; joy.

If the hardforums admins wanted to "fix" this, I'd guess they could turn off TLS 1.3 0-rtt (aka early data), but that would need to be done for all browsers because it's somewhere between very hard and impossible to determine browser identity in the TLS handshake, and that's where it needs to be done, and I'm guessing they turned it on for a reason; 0-rtt should help performance a bit and AFAIK, it's not a default setting.

You are much better at this stuff than I. I'm glad you took a look.

This is interesting. Yeah, it definitely looks like something that would be difficult for the hardforums to fix on their own. I'm hoping a bug report helps getting it tackled.

Thank you for doing that!

Back