Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
Took a coolit freezezone cut the controller out of it and connected it to a meanwell variable power supply replaced the 80mm fan with 92mm and insulated it then cranked the voltage up on the peltier.

Attachments

• 692148_32ABA2FE-224B-4351-919E-68E5D19EB492.jpeg
    692148_32ABA2FE-224B-4351-919E-68E5D19EB492.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 0
I've been running a big card for 9 years, it's technically a 4-slot. I also beat Asus to using noctua fans all those years ago!

Guess I'd need a peltier to get similar power draw to a 4090... its an r9 290x, served me well over the years.

Dimensions are ~275mm x 180mm x 80mm l w h.

Rtx 4090 founders dimensions: 336mm x 140mm x 61mm.

20221016_231100.jpg
Screenshot_20221016-231036_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221016-231013_Gallery.jpg

I've been running a big card for 9 years, it's technically a 4-slot. I also beat Asus to using noctua fans all those years ago!

Guess I'd need a peltier to get similar power draw to a 4090... its an r9 290x, served me well over the years.

Dimensions are ~275mm x 180mm x 80mm l w h.

Rtx 4090 founders dimensions: 336mm x 140mm x 61mm.

View attachment 519116
View attachment 519117
View attachment 519118
Love me a 290x. I have a watercooled one in my main desktop. Albeit slightly thinner then that thing.

20221112_213816.jpg

20221112_213800.jpg

I took the GTX 1060 I was using out of the relic in my signature because it was more card then I need for the games I play, and installed another ancient relic, a FirePro W7000 (I love BIOS overclocking and undervolting GCN1.0 GPUs using VBE7). Since this is a heavy single slot GPU, I realized I needed a GPU brace. After wandering my castle, I found a new dental irrigation syringe. I cut it to the right length and it made a perfect brace for 0 dollars and doesn't look terrible. :D

View attachment 526477

I took the GTX 1060 I was using out of the relic in my signature because it was more card then I need for the games I play, and installed another ancient relic, a FirePro W7000 (I love BIOS overclocking and undervolting GCN1.0 GPUs using VBE7). Since this is a heavy single slot GPU, I realized I needed a GPU brace. After wandering my castle, I found a new dental irrigation syringe. I cut it to the right length and it made a perfect brace for 0 dollars and doesn't look terrible. :D
The w7000 is one of my favorite plug and play cards. I used them heavily for mining early in eth and it was amazing how much you could overclock and undervolt those cards. Driver support was amazing and proformance was great for a 100w 1 slot card

The w7000 is one of my favorite plug and play cards. I used them heavily for mining early in eth and it was amazing how much you could overclock and undervolt those cards. Driver support was amazing and proformance was great for a 100w 1 slot card
Oh yes, this one runs a 100MHz overclock so far on 1volt, down from the stock 1.120. I also tweaked the fan curve to much slower/quieter speeds to reduce noise/dust build up, yet card doesn't get over 68 degrees C under load! I did disassemble card and completely clean it and upgraded to Arctic MX4 paste. When I pulled card apart the heatsink entrance was completely blocked with dust bunnies like what you'd see on a laptop heatsink. I paid a whopping $20 for the card from a local PC shop! Plays Cyberpunk 2077 at my native 1360x768 at 30FPS on low settings, and Far Cry 6 at medium settings 30+FPS so I'm good. Other then these two, all the other games I play are older.

Last edited:
Oh yes, this one runs a 100MHz overclock so far on 1volt, down from the stock 1.120. I also tweaked the fan curve to much slower/quieter speeds to reduce noise/dust build up, yet card doesn't get over 68 degrees C under load! I did disassemble card and completely clean it and upgraded to Arctic MX4 paste. When I pulled card apart the heatsink entrance was completely blocked with dust bunnies like what you'd see on a laptop heatsink. I paid a whopping $20 for the card from a local PC shop! Plays Cyberpunk 2077 at my native 1360x768 at 30FPS on low settings, and Far Cry 6 at medium settings 30+FPS so I'm good. Other then these two, all the other games I play are older.
I used to run it under esxi with GPU passthrough and have seperate gaming vms seperated from the main one. Similar overclock bios flashed so I didnt have to mess with it and it worked flawlessly under passthrough and any OS. Played almost any game just fine. Ran ark at 1080p. Way cooler then the s9000(Tahiti) cards I had.

box server dutifully ran some containers for about a year in a corner of my room

it counts as whisper quiet if all the fans are seized right

1672201982599.png

Customer gave me one of those crappy HP slim desktops that had a blown up motherboard from I suspect a lightning strike. They wanted the data and abandoned the machine.

Went online to try and find a replacement board and there was no way I'd pay $90 for an old crappy board with a crappy soldered CPU. I had an old ITX AM1 board from another customer sitting around, so I thought I'd try and use that. Two small problems, the first was the I/O was stamped out of the case itself and not a removable cover. The second was that it had no internal PSU, the old board used a laptop power brick with a DC jack. Somewhat fortunately, HP made these cases cookie cutter for use in several different models, and it had the location for an internal PSU, but it wasn't cut out.

Nothing that a dremel and some careful measuring and cutting couldn't solve.

For reference, here's what the back originally looked like, and the motherboard.

83-286-197_R10.jpg
c05091576.jpg

Now that I could test fit the motherboard, I ran into another problem. HP being the assholes that they are had moved two of the four mounting holes to non-standard locations, so the board wouldn't sit. So I had to cut those mounts out, shave them down, move them slightly over and carefully epoxy them down using the motherboard as a guide. E6000 and superglue is amazing shit, hard as a rock bond.

As for the PSU, a bit of hunting around for "Slim HP PSU" on Ebay found me two candidates. HP made a 160W and a 220W model, the latter being a bit more difficult to find. I eventually found one for $35, model number FH-ZD221MGR. If in the rare event you do a similar mod and use this PSU, be absolutely sure you recap it. These PSUs have trash capacitors that fail and kill the PSU. It's about $15 in caps, so $50 total for the PSU.

After that, it was just reassembling the unit. The only "new" parts to the machine are the motherboard, CPU and PSU.

This machine was brought to you by me, and sponsored by spite for HP making proprietary garbage destined for eWaste.

yeah I hate those OEM specialty designs too! Great job on the e-cycling

Great job! Did you drill and tap the standoffs that you moved, or just cut the threads and glue them down?

yeah I hate those OEM specialty designs too! Great job on the e-cycling

Great job! Did you drill and tap the standoffs that you moved, or just cut the threads and glue them down?

The lower left mount was like the upper left mount. It was cut and I shaved down a brass standoff, superglued it to a felt spacer and epoxied all around it. The upper right mount was snapped out, shaved down and epoxied in place.

There was no room to drill and tap the case, it was probably 1/16" thick, and it would have blown through the back of the case.

Last edited:
In the spirt of the thread... how many food stamps is this worth? Or as this is 2023, a reload on your EBT card

:ROFLMAO:

Back