Possibly old topic, but Why didn't Intel make 820EP, 840E, 840EP and 835 or 835EP chipsets?

I know this is an old topic for discussion, but why didn't intel make an 820EP, 840E, 840EP, and 835 chipsets. With 820EP chipsets they could have made Pentium III Tualatin systems that supported the higher bandwidth Rambus. Then with the 840E, which may not have been necessary they could have officialy support socket 370 Coppermine based Processors because there were already at one socket 370 840 chipset board by Tyan called the Thunder i840 (S2520). Also, if they would have made an 840EP chipset they could have officially support the Socket 370 Tualatin Processors. Finally, with the 835 or 835EP intel could have officially supported the Tualatin processor and hopefully made a very rare first DDR compatible Socket 370 processor compatible motherboard, but I can find no indication that any of these possible solutions excited here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Pentium_II/III_chipsets

Therefore, we never got to see the full potential of the Pentium III Coppermine and Tualatin Processors from that era, which it's to late now for Intel to make something to fill that gap now if they didn't already in some other way.

Back